Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By mikolo Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:37 pm
When I change tracks on my MPC60 it takes a second to actually switch and it seems to be worse when the sequencer is playing. All the other functions respond promptly.
The sequence is really simple too - 1 drum track and 1 MIDI track with no CC's. There's no MIDI loops or anything.

Its been a while since I've used my 60 so can't remember if it was always like this (and I used it mainly for sampling in/out rather than hardcore sequencing).

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
By mr_debauch Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:55 pm
yeah the 60 can sometimes be a bit sluggish... I can't remember that on track changes, or any time sensitive features lagging when it's playing (ie: things you need if you are live performing) but I do notice sometimes if you just loaded up a song and go to the main screen and push playstart for the first time, it takes a half a second for it to happen... but then it works at the right time the next time you start the song... or let's say you just arranged your sequences in song mode, then you push play start it may take a half a second... but if you were to do the thing where you push playstart/stop/playstart/stop/playstart (to keep restarting the song in a stylish way) that seems to work fine...

what OS are you on though?
By Dj Khayos Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:25 am
mikolo wrote:When I change tracks on my MPC60 it takes a second to actually switch and it seems to be worse when the sequencer is playing. All the other functions respond promptly.
The sequence is really simple too - 1 drum track and 1 MIDI track with no CC's. There's no MIDI loops or anything.

Its been a while since I've used my 60 so can't remember if it was always like this (and I used it mainly for sampling in/out rather than hardcore sequencing).

Thanks

It´s a midi bug if I remember correctly. Never connect midi cables to the 60/3000 when the MPC is ON! It works almost of the time but I have crashed the MPC3000(Power ON) with an ESQ80.
If the MPC behaves the same after reset/disconnect ya midi shit!
By mikolo Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:36 pm
Thanks Debauch. I'm on OS 3.1.

DJ Khayos - I tried turning off the machine and back on again without the MIDI cables attached but that hasn't changed anything. I thought at first it was going to work because I'd done loads of MIDI cable changing around with the machine on before I first posted.

By "reset" do you mean turn it off and on , like I've done here, or is there a reset key combo or something? I know with 1000 you hold down the erase key whilst powering up for example.

Thanks fellas!
By mikolo Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:52 pm
Boom! It works. Thanks Khayos.

Here's what to do, if this happens to you.

1.Unplug MIDI cables
2.Power Up
3.Initilize Paramaters (its found in the "OTHER" screen)
4.Power Down
5.Power Up

Hey Presto it works.

It was still slow after the inilization of the parameters until I turned the MPC off and on again. As said in my previous post - just powering down, unplugging MIDI cables, powering up was not enough
By fooddude Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:41 pm
mikolo wrote:Boom! It works. Thanks Khayos.

Here's what to do, if this happens to you.

1.Unplug MIDI cables
2.Power Up
3.Initilize Paramaters (its found in the "OTHER" screen)
4.Power Down
5.Power Up

Hey Presto it works.

It was still slow after the inilization of the parameters until I turned the MPC off and on again. As said in my previous post - just powering down, unplugging MIDI cables, powering up was not enough

Is this the proper reset procedure? If, yes, nice one! ..never heard of this one before.

Though, I have read of another "reset" procedure, which involves shorting the neg/pos terminals/traces that connect to the back up coin battery (or, short the wires, if you have previously soldered on some sort of wire-extensions from those traces to a battery holder on it (for ease of future battery changes)). But, I'm not very sure if this one is legit.
By mikolo Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:21 pm
This resets your parameters : default pad numbers, midi settings and the like.
I have no idea whether there are other forms of reset - but it certainly worked for this problem.

I saved a param file first so I didn't have to manually change all the settings back to how I like them and everything is still working too.
By mikolo Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:44 pm
Aaargh I spoke to soon the problem is back.
I plugged my MIDI gear back in and the track change was going slow again. I tried the parameter reset & unplugging everything again but it didn't help this time either. So perhaps that was a coincidence

Does anyone have any info on the reset thing fooddude mentioned?

Thanks
By mikolo Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:48 pm
OK i think i've solved this now.

One of my pads was sticking (i've layered up some tape underneath to improve the sensitivity). I noticed that a synth note was hanging and when I fiddled with the pad I was able to change tracks at the normal speed. I tested by holding onto to one of the pads with less tape underneath and there is a noticable change in track change speed when you do it (it takes about 4 beats if the sequencer is running). When I take the tape off the underside of the pad then I can be 100% sure.
By mr_debauch Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:41 pm
that's odd... so it was a physical midi hang due to tape? I didn't expect that one...
By mikolo Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:13 am
Yeah for sure. I think I did 1 or 2 layers too many on that pad so the pressure wasn't releasing the sensor properly,I did different amounts in order to gauge which is best. I'm sure glad it's not anything serious.

Thanks for the input Mr Debauch & Fooddude.

I'm looking forward to next weekend now when I can actually make some beats!
By DaZooNozTheory Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:19 am
mikolo wrote:When I change tracks on my MPC60 it takes a second to actually switch and it seems to be worse when the sequencer is playing. All the other functions respond promptly.

Thanks

MPC60II 3.5 VIMANA
U PROBABLY GOT TOO MANY SOUND SAMPLES ON A TRACK. THATS MY PROBLEM RIGHT NOW.
I GOT A FULL SEQUENCE 48 BARS WITH UP TO 60 TRACKS AND I LOAD DIFFERENT SAMPLES ON EACH TRACK. SAYS I HAVE TOO MANY EVENTS ON ONE TRACK OR I GOTTA ERASE ALL PRESSURE MESSAGES.
THIS HOW I PRODUCE A WHOLE TRACK BECAUSE I DONT USE THE SONG MODE.