Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By adapa Sat May 16, 2015 4:16 pm
I'm thinking about switching from an mpc 2000xl to mpc 3000. I need to know if the mpc 3000 will load my 2000xl projects and sounds which I saved on 100mb iomega zip disk? I also need to know if the mpc 3000 can tell the bpm of samples like the 2000xl's loop screen? I know the mpc 3000 doesn't have time stretching but does it allow you to change the pitch of the sample and tell you the bpm of the sample? Or would I have to find the bpm of the sample by messing around with the tap tempo?
By marrelarre Sat May 30, 2015 8:50 am
adapa wrote:I'm thinking about switching from an mpc 2000xl to mpc 3000. I need to know if the mpc 3000 will load my 2000xl projects and sounds which I saved on 100mb iomega zip disk? I also need to know if the mpc 3000 can tell the bpm of samples like the 2000xl's loop screen? I know the mpc 3000 doesn't have time stretching but does it allow you to change the pitch of the sample and tell you the bpm of the sample? Or would I have to find the bpm of the sample by messing around with the tap tempo?

I own a 3k and personally wouldnt load up the old things into it because then the sounds wont go through the converters of the 3k = they will still sound 2kxl.
The 3000 chops manually by numbers and no wave-form but you can of course pitch things down. It will not tell you the tempo of the track.
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:53 am
27b wrote:unfortunately, i think the answer to each of your questions is 'no'.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Yup, the files are not cross compatible (well maybe the .seq files but that wouldn't do much good). The 3000 uses .SND files...although software converters do exist for .WAV-.SND conversion, that's most likely more trouble than its worth.

There is no beat-matching on the 3000....nor are there many of the features that you have probably grown accustomed to on your 2000. The ideal situation would be to keep your 2000 and pick up a 3k. If you have to choose between the two, well that's more difficult. It seems like most people that switch to the 3000 love it and don't regret their decision, but not all feel that way.

I started off on a 2500 and switched to a 3000 and now I don't really like using the 2500 at all. The 3000 has 90% of what you need to make great beats. Track mutes, reverb, and a hi-pass filter are literally the only things I wish it had, and even those are small inconveniences that are easily worked around.

It is a well made, great sounding machine that is an absolute joy to use. Is it the machine for you? Well, only you can make that call for yourself.