Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Triple_A Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:40 am
Hey guys. I would like to give SCSI2SD a try with my 3K (Vailixi). I'd like to mount the unit in an external case, as I have plenty of them lying around.

Is there any particular version of SCSI2SD I should buy? Do many of you guys have SCSI2SD working in a 3K internally or externally?
By richie Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:41 am
This is actually covered on the SCSI2SD comparability page:

Akai S1000, S3200, S3000XL, MPC 2000XL, DPS 12
SCSI cable reversed on S3200
There are compatibility problems with the Akai MPC3000. It works (slowly) with the alternate Vailixi OS with multi-sector transfers disabled.
By Horseclick Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:18 am
I need to tell Michael to remove that slowly part as it works faster then any other solution i have tried,

scsi2sd works perfectly with a 3k using vailixy.
By richie Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:06 pm
@Horse that's good news to hear. Have you tried it with 3.10/11 as well?
By Horseclick Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:14 am
yea i did with a early firmware and it did not work,

with val you need to disable multi sector transfers.

sorry cant open her up to switch eproms but i know vail works with the above and make sure to use hybrid partitions so you can pop in your sd card into pc/mac and it will pop up so you can drag and drop your stuff to back up and archive.
By Triple_A Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:56 pm
That's great info guys! Thanks. Just got to work out some kind of bezel for it.
By JUKE 179r Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:59 pm
@Redsnake...
I don't have a 3K but I have used the SCSI2SD version 5 (the second link you posted for $70) in several 2000XLs and in an external SCSI drive and it works great!
Version 6 has some improvements but IMO it doesn't warrant the doubled price.
By kraftywerk Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:06 pm
Hi, I have Vailixi and I bought a rev5 SCSI2SD. Any help on installing it? I currently have a gender-switcher the takes the internal 25-pin and makes it a F50. So I can just plug in SCSI2SD to that - I assume the SCSI cable will power it?

Problem is MPC won't see it. Multi-sector xfer is off on Vailixi. I updated SCSI2SD firmware to 4.6 (latest). SCSI ID = 0. No lights come on on the board (the LED1 does come on when board is connected to Mac via USB)

Thanks for any help! Not sure what I'm doing wrong but would be great to get 'er working.

Horseclick wrote:I need to tell Michael to remove that slowly part as it works faster then any other solution i have tried,

scsi2sd works perfectly with a 3k using vailixy.
By Horseclick Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:58 pm
you got a sd card installed?

if not nothing will happen.

Its buss powered so you would not need any power to power it.

sounds liek your cable converter is either faulty or the bus power is on the wrong pn

buy artmixes internal mpc 3000 internal scsi converter to uensure you are getting the power you need.

or tap the floppies power to the scsi to power it
By kraftywerk Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:10 pm
Horseclick, I was hoping you'd log on and see this. :worthy: Thanks for the reply. Trying to figure this out without buying a second internal SCSI adapter because there was already one in the machine, attached to an old McDisk (inside).

Some progress: I attached it to the MPC internal SCSI cable and plugged in a USB cable from the Mac at the same time to power it. That did the trick; I could access and format it. So it's 100% a power issue as you hypothesized.

It looks like there was some power going to the McDisk already, but it's just two little cables...I'd have to adapt this situation to a Molex connector though, because it's currently the wrong connector. I admit I'm not exactly sure how to do this...I could probably find a Molex to repurpose (or buy) and then would have to figure out what goes where. Any tips there?

If you can't tell, I'm a beginner with diagnosing and remedying this stuff. Can do basic soldering and would like to fixing it with what I have. If you have any suggestions for doing it that way, I'm all ears.

A bit confused about why the cables aren't working...I supposed the 26-to-50 adapter I have needs some plumbing inside because it's not routing the power to the right conductor so it powers the SCSI2SD. Maybe I'll bring a mulitmeter home and see if I can find out where the power is hanging out.

Horseclick wrote:you got a sd card installed?

if not nothing will happen.

Its buss powered so you would not need any power to power it.

sounds liek your cable converter is either faulty or the bus power is on the wrong pn

buy artmixes internal mpc 3000 internal scsi converter to uensure you are getting the power you need.

or tap the floppies power to the scsi to power it
By Horseclick Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:12 pm
that looks liek the right wire,

take a pic of your internal wiring so i can guage whats going on
By kraftywerk Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:50 pm
Connection to McDisk:

Clipped cable (just leaving pos + neg) on way to McDisk:

Gender changer coming from SCSI board:

Internal SCSI jawn:

I left out the gigantic, multi-connector (all 50F) SCSI cable that went from the MacDisk to the gender changer board to the internal SCSI adapter. It's gigantic and always made closing the case a pain. Can't wait to not need it.

Funny thing is I hung the SCSI2SD off the McDisk while powering the McDisk and it lit up. Obviously I couldn't control it, since it wasn't connected to the MPC SCSI board, but showed at least that I could power it from the McDisk. So I then used the multi-connector and tried the same thing, connecting it all together, but the MPC wouldn't see the SCSI2SD.
By Horseclick Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:02 pm
ok, looks like your power cable has 2 wires snipped, but i dont get what you mean regarding hung the scsi2sd off the mcdisk?

what you mean by that?

also how have you set up your scsi2sd?

take a screen shot of your settings.

i limit mine to 8000mb per scsi id.
only part A will be visible on yourfirst scsi deice on your pc/mac (meaning you cvan have 4 scsi disks but only the first device and part a when you format with hybrid partitions on valixy)

you do hav valixy right?