Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By bjarnir Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 am
ok I apparently had a blown fuse, changed that for a resettable fuse now the scsi2sd is working perfectly
By richie Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:02 pm
bjarnir wrote:ok I apparently had a blown fuse, changed that for a resettable fuse now the scsi2sd is working perfectly

Dope, now you won't have to change the fuse ever again either. I believe it should be a standard that if you upgrade to Vailixi and want to use a card reader, just change out the SCSI fuse to a resettable one as a point of maintenance.
By JUKE 179r Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 am
What’s the part number for the resettable SCSI fuse? Can it be bought at Mousers? Thanks.
By bjarnir Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am
Dope, now you won't have to change the fuse ever again either. I believe it should be a standard that if you upgrade to Vailixi and want to use a card reader, just change out the SCSI fuse to a resettable one as a point of maintenance.

yeah I agree it should be a standard. It took a while to figure it out, I actually contacted Michael from codesrc and he pointed out for me to make a simple test to check if the fuse was blown. My understanding was if the fuse would be blown then the scsi2sd would not be recognize overall by the mpc, but yeah now im a little wiser and glad to bein able to save on my mpc :worthy:
By vout Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:45 am
It's not a good idea to replace fast acting fuses with resettable types which are generally much slower acting, they do not provide the same level of protection for your valuable gear. Also they are not true circuit breakers, more like variable resistors and they still allow some current flow when tripped.
By kraftywerk Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:20 pm
Just a follow-up, I still am having no luck with my Vailixi MPC3K and SCSI2SD v5.0b card. I've tried almost everything including internal, external (with 50-to-26 pin adapter) and all manner of different settings on SCSI2SD Util.

It will sometimes save, sometimes load, but generally freezes with a permanently on amber LED. That means it's toast. It usually freezes the MPC as well when it does this. Often does it on startup. Yep, multi-sector transfer is off.

Also, my MPC3K was sent to Forat and completely restored. And it works perfectly with a SCSI Zip drive. I'm totally lost on what it can be, and it sucks having to use ZIPs. Any ideas let me know. Thanks...
By kraftywerk Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:23 pm
I should note I've used two different SD cards that seem fine with other applications. I followed ChickenSystem's partition suggestions too, but I haven't even gotten to the "stick it in the Mac" stage since it's so unstable on the MPC.

If anyone wants to post their setup for the SCSI2SD util (what you save to the device) I'd be interested. Wondering if it's a SCSI chain thing. The fact that it works sometimes, halfway...that is what is maddening. Like I can format cards, even save a sound, but then the SCSI2SD will freeze the whole system (itself and MPC) on the next boot, or if I can browse the card, then the sample may load but have a glitch in it.

kraftywerk wrote:Just a follow-up, I still am having no luck with my Vailixi MPC3K and SCSI2SD v5.0b card. I've tried almost everything including internal, external (with 50-to-26 pin adapter) and all manner of different settings on SCSI2SD Util.

It will sometimes save, sometimes load, but generally freezes with a permanently on amber LED. That means it's toast. It usually freezes the MPC as well when it does this. Often does it on startup. Yep, multi-sector transfer is off.

Also, my MPC3K was sent to Forat and completely restored. And it works perfectly with a SCSI Zip drive. I'm totally lost on what it can be, and it sucks having to use ZIPs. Any ideas let me know. Thanks...
By JUKE 179r Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 pm
Zips.... ugh!
My SCSI2SD on my MPC3000LE still works well with Vailixi. Even on a Mac and PC.
I have no idea why your SCSI2SD drinking ce doesn’t work. Try another usb cable to update and initialize the SCSI2SD drive.
By bjarnir Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:31 am
kraftywerk wrote:Just a follow-up, I still am having no luck with my Vailixi MPC3K and SCSI2SD v5.0b card. I've tried almost everything including internal, external (with 50-to-26 pin adapter) and all manner of different settings on SCSI2SD Util.

How are you connecting it externally with the 50 to 26 pin adapter?
By Fanu Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:37 am
Yo!
My Akai s3200XL works fine with SCSI2SD at least.
One note…I know it's not MPC, but I had to format the card with the Akai to make it work.
At least 3200XL has options to FORMAT and ARRANGE, and it's only the latter that actually formats it and makes it work.
By kraftywerk Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:32 am
Thanks but really doubting it' that. I even tried the SCSI2SD on S3000XL and it worked (obviously formatting a different card).

Juke, what rev SCSI2SD board are you using successfully? 5.1 or 5.0b? Any way you could post a screenshot of your settings from the utils app?

JUKE 179r wrote:Zips.... ugh!
My SCSI2SD on my MPC3000LE still works well with Vailixi. Even on a Mac and PC.
I have no idea why your SCSI2SD drinking ce doesn’t work. Try another usb cable to update and initialize the SCSI2SD drive.
By kraftywerk Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:37 am
bjarnir wrote:

How are you connecting it externally with the 50 to 26 pin adapter?

My mistake/tyope I meant 25 pin (DB25/SCSI) adapter. BUT I just read this from the WIKI...

5V via DB25 SCSI connector, or USB.
2.35W maximum (500mA)
Requires SCSI host that supplies terminator power on pin 25 of the DB25 socket

Anyone know if MPC3K supplies terminator power on pin 25? I'm not at the studio. If that might make it flaky, well, that could explain things. I haven't tried it internally using floppy 5V power since I got it back from Forat.
By JUKE 179r Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:26 am
kraftywerk wrote:Juke, what rev SCSI2SD board are you using successfully? 5.1 or 5.0b? Any way you could post a screenshot of your settings from the utils app?

I believe I have the red circuit board v5.0.
I’m in Berlin for the holidays so I’ll recheck the version, get some pics and get you a screen shot when I return home next week.