Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By kerussm Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:39 pm
Hello mate, have you managed to get it working? May I know how are the jumpers set and does it needs any additional programming? I'm trying to get it working on MPC 3000 but it doesn't see SCSI devices. Tried my V5.1 that I pulled out from my MPC60 and it's working in my 3000 so I bet is some configuration in zulu.

Thank You in advance.
K

kraftywerk wrote:Years later update - I think I had SCSI2SD 5.0b board (I don't have it here) with Micro SD.
Tried for ages to get it to work - no luck. Internal SCSI 50-pin, or stock SCSI in back.
Finally gave up.

Currently testing ZuluSCSI. No guarantees but working so far. Gonna try to make a video showing how I set it up in order to help any future users.

I wasted ages on SCSI2SD. I'm not dissing the product generally but it just never worked on my grey 3K and I tested the shit out of it, worked with the dev (who was awesome). I would recommended the my version of SCSI2SD for any sampler but NOT the MPC3K.

Disclaimer: this is **only** for my version, 5.0b. Red with MicroSD. There are videos of other versions of SCSI2SD working fine with the 3K on YouTube and evidence of same in this thread. Thanks to all who replied over the years. I was using ZIP Disks through the interim!
By Kalou Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:33 am
this is a tangential issue so feel this thread is a good post for it. i'm looking to install a ZULUSCSI drive in a 3000, but need the cable that inverts the external SCSI but also allows for the external one to still be used. i've only seen jazzcat sell it, and i'm wiling to support him again (despite the mark up) but the postage is £14, which for this light cable is ridiculous and price gouging.

does anyone know what exactly this cable is, and where else i could source it for a more reasonable price?

def curious to hear how the zulu install goes for you. i've had no problems with scsi2sd in my 3000, it's unfortunate you have but hope this works for you.
By richie Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:10 am
Kalou wrote:what exactly this cable is -- and where else i could source it for a more reasonable price?

def curious to hear how the zulu install goes for you. i've had no problems with scsi2sd in my 3000, it's unfortunate you have but hope this works for you.

The actual "what" the cable is listed clearly in the description.

Since that fellow had the board manufactured, the parts for the internal SCSI connector and ribbon put together, it's fair for them to charge a convenience tax to get it.

You don't HAVE to use it at all. You could simply use an external based SCSI2SD, BlueSCSI or ZuluSCSI and plug it directly to the back of your 3000 man.
By Kalou Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:24 am
Word, I know all this. I have had a mini SCSI2SD in the SCSI port of my 3000, and have another in the back of my ASR10.

I get that the board was manufactured to spec, and thus the mark up for the labour. The shipping is crazy though, on top of what is already a big mark-up.

Also an "Internal/external SCSI Conversion Cable" isn't a technical term for the type of cable this is, and thus not something one can source easily. It's some kind of amended ribbon cable that allows for two inputs, I suppose controlled by that bespoke board. I think I could prolly track down the ribbon cable but the board is what he's saying limits noise, and perhaps helps with reliability.
By richie Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:31 am
How isn't it a technical term? It describes exactly what it is that he is selling.

With respect, based on your own interpretation of what it is he has, it seems you do not understand what you are talking about. That is totally fine and why we post questions here for help.

What you're looking at in more specific terms is a PCB with an IDCB 50 pin through hole connector and a DB25 through hole crimp connector which is going to a double shielded 25 pin ribbon cable. The ground wire will help for noise in addition to the double shielded ribbon connector connected to the internal SCSI PCB of the 3000.

Cost wise, ordering each individual component is incredibly easy, none of the components are rare. The cost to build your own cable of this type after shipping from whatever place like mouser, digikey, farnell, element14, etc could save you maybe $15 in total but at that point which can afford you the savings to buy yourself a Pizza.

Why even bother when you can already have it done for you.

Cost for shipping? I see you're in London. If you're in London UK, it's 5 pounds to ship. If you're in London Ontario Canada, it's about $21 CDN and some change, which makes sense for international tracked shipping.

I don't see what the problem is here.
By Kalou Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:46 am
there is no problem, i am calm...

on eBay he charges £14, so that's £9 more than £5 and i can't get a response via email / fb...

i'm less interested in the pcb board and more able the ribbon cable and the adapter that allows input from both the scsi db25 on the back and the drive the (to be installed) drive on the front. that is the part i'm curious about, and i maintain that the technical term for this cable and part is not detailed on the listing.

sub point: why does the tone turn to this your wrong, i'm right sometimes here. what's the point of sentences like "you don't know what you're talking about"? what does that add to the discourse beyond tension?
By richie Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:21 pm
Already all explained to you in the previous post.

Best of luck to you.
By Telefunky Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:35 pm
Kalou wrote:... sub point: why does the tone turn to this your wrong, i'm right sometimes here. what's the point of sentences like "you don't know what you're talking about"? what does that add to the discourse beyond tension?

the emphasized section is quite a harsh abbreviation of
With respect, based on your own interpretation of what it is he has, it seems you do not understand what you are talking about. That is totally fine and why we post questions here for help.
:wink:
sometimes words simply slip through, all cool... :smoker: