Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Urtefar Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am
Hi. I've recently bought the mpc60mk2, and have also bought the newest os (3.15b)

My question is; how do i set up my midi cables like roger linn does in his original mpc 60 tutorial?
I believe that linn is using the 3.10 os, but i reckon the basics are the same.
In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aacE1Q1OE-I&t=473s) roger have this setup.
Sounds in the s900
jamming on the keyboard
recording and sequencing on the mpc 60.

His midi route is: midi out from the mpc - to midi in the s900
and: midi out from the keyboard - to midi in the mpc60

Watch the video from 7:10.
I thought that the configuration would be somewhat easy to manage, but since the screen shows different options in regards to the os, it wasn't so easy.

Can somebody tell me how to setup the mpc, so i can make beats like the OG himself. He makes it look very easy in the video, but i hope somebody in here can go a bit into depth.
Is my os viable to this?
or is my keyboard maybe f*ucked up?
Any kinds of help would be appreciated.

/urtefar.
By tapedeck Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:12 pm
His midi route is: midi out from the mpc - to midi in the s900

pretty sure you answered yer own question there :mrgreen:

also, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but he is likely using the stock os for the 60. the new os is based on the mpc3000 and that wasn't out yet when this video was made.
please, correct me if i'm wrong.
By Wal Martian Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm
Urtefar wrote:how do i set up my midi cables like roger linn does in his original mpc 60 tutorial?

tapedeck wrote: ...you answered yer own question there :mrgreen:

Urtefar wrote:midi out from the mpc - to midi in the s900

What are you finding difficult? What OS options are you talking about? Did you set the track to MIDI and the select the channel and out port (i.e. 1A, 2B, 1C, 4D etc.)
By Edd.Buczybuda Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:40 pm
Wal Martian wrote:
Urtefar wrote:how do i set up my midi cables like roger linn does in his original mpc 60 tutorial?

tapedeck wrote: ...you answered yer own question there :mrgreen:

Urtefar wrote:midi out from the mpc - to midi in the s900

What are you finding difficult? What OS options are you talking about? Did you set the track to MIDI and the select the channel and out port (i.e. 1A, 2B, 1C, 4D etc.)

MPC60 OS v2.x has just a track data channels 1-16{A..D} no MIDI/DRUM switch unless I'm missing something.

SOLUTION:
1. MIDI controller (MIDI OUT) connect to the MPC (MIDI IN).
2. MPC (MIDI OUT) connect to the SAMPLER (MIDI IN)
3. On the MPC in the main menu select the appropriate channel in "Track Data" section.

It works like so: CH: 16A = MIDI CHANNEL "16" - MPC (MIDI OUT) "A".
By Wal Martian Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:59 pm
Edd.Buczybuda wrote:MPC60 OS v2.x has just a track data channels 1-16{A..D} no MIDI/DRUM switch unless I'm missing something.

SOLUTION:
3. On the MPC in the main menu select the appropriate channel in "Track Data" section.

Not sure which OS this^ picture is from, seems odd they would remove something like that, which is present on the 3K, 2K, 2Kxl etc..
By Edd.Buczybuda Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 pm
Wal Martian wrote:
Edd.Buczybuda wrote:MPC60 OS v2.x has just a track data channels 1-16{A..D} no MIDI/DRUM switch unless I'm missing something.

SOLUTION:

Not sure which OS this^ picture is from, seems odd they would remove something like that, which is present on the 3K, 2K, 2Kxl etc..

No, no, Sir - It's not about being removed - It's about not being added yet.

Pics from mine 2.12 OS - This is how it looked like before MPC3000 (3.10) OS port happened.

https://imgur.com/pgfpelN
https://imgur.com/kze8QU6
By mr_debauch Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:38 pm
ya .. but it is still possible to do that.... you set the track up to the midi out with the s900 and the keyboard that is plugged into the midi in should just work. you want to go away from 1:drum to synthA so it doesn't play the internal sounds of the mpc on that track.