Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
User avatar
By classytouch Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm
@martel80 I have a CF card reader, I have 26 32mb partitions. So it's like having 26 folders. I use a few partitions (Folders) specifically to save drum programs. When I make a beat I pull up the drum program and assign my new samples to a different bank ( Bank D). Then rename and save the program to a new partition ( Folder )

@ JUKE179r how have you been going about your file management in the 3000?

I'm also interested to know how others go about file management. The process I detailed above is the best way I could come up with since you can only use one program at a time with the 3000.
By martel80 Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:34 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:For me its hard to compare my 3000LE vs. my 2000XL vs. my 4000.
I'm still learning the 3000LE so I'd say it's harder for me to get used to since knowing my 2000XL inside and out as far as workflow for the past 18 years.
The maxed out 4000, to me, is a 2000XL on steroids with a 6-pack of Jolt cola.


And how does the 4K sound compare to the 2kXL ?

Is it still crispy or its a bit more loose and deep ?
By martel80 Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:43 pm
classytouch wrote:@martel80 I have a CF card reader, I have 26 32mb partitions. So it's like having 26 folders. I use a few partitions (Folders) specifically to save drum programs. When I make a beat I pull up the drum program and assign my new samples to a different bank ( Bank D). Then rename and save the program to a new partition ( Folder )

@ JUKE179r how have you been going about your file management in the 3000?

I'm also interested to know how others go about file management. The process I detailed above is the best way I could come up with since you can only use one program at a time with the 3000.


And I guess you save all the sound used in this program in that same folder as well.

I'm really trying to make sure I'm not making a mistake by going the 3000 way and selling my 2kXL.

Sadly, I cant afford both for now so I was also wondering if the 4K was a bit less stiff sound wise.

I mean, the S3000 has a very beautiful tone, to me , that sound exactly like a MPC 3000 and the EPS has a very tapish grainy sound so I'm kind of scared to go on all units that doesnt have that High Freq sheen.
User avatar
By classytouch Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:11 pm
martel80 wrote:
classytouch wrote:@martel80 I have a CF card reader, I have 26 32mb partitions. So it's like having 26 folders. I use a few partitions (Folders) specifically to save drum programs. When I make a beat I pull up the drum program and assign my new samples to a different bank ( Bank D). Then rename and save the program to a new partition ( Folder )

@ JUKE179r how have you been going about your file management in the 3000?

I'm also interested to know how others go about file management. The process I detailed above is the best way I could come up with since you can only use one program at a time with the 3000.


And I guess you save all the sound used in this program in that same folder as well.

I'm really trying to make sure I'm not making a mistake by going the 3000 way and selling my 2kXL.

Sadly, I cant afford both for now so I was also wondering if the 4K was a bit less stiff sound wise.

I mean, the S3000 has a very beautiful tone, to me , that sound exactly like a MPC 3000 and the EPS has a very tapish grainy sound so I'm kind of scared to go on all units that doesnt have that High Freq sheen.


Yes I save all my sounds in 1 single Program for a song unless I need some type of change happening.
What would you be getting the 3000 for? If I were to get another MPC it'd be a 4000. The sound quality of those aren't as "tapish" as the 3000 but still of high quility! You just won't truly know until you get one in your possession and get the experience. Mpc 3000's hold their value so if you go the 3000 route and you're not into it you can just sell it and go for something else.
By richie Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 pm
@martel, honestly there is no advantage to selling your S3000 as you seem to be more than technically inclined to use it for your preferred/intended purposes right.

The only real advantage to having the MPC 3000 that I can rationalize other than to show off to other gear whores on instagram pics, is that it has rock solid sequencer timing, which we've discussed in either this thread or another one that is what gives beats on it a huge part of character.

Now, if you're not feeling how mediocre/simplistic the OS options are on the MPC 3000, then next natural progression as well as cost effective route to take is to get the MPC 4000 -- Way more storage options for way cheaper, slightly tighter timing than the 60/3000, larger screen, filters, etc, pretty much everything that anyone would need. There is a learning curve but I'm sure you'd just set up a bunch of templates to fast track all your sh*t and go from there.

I agree with classy touch, at least at this time, grabbing a MPC 3000 isn't much of a risk financially -- provided that the person that sold it to you didn't sell you something that is riddled with issues. A common thing I've been finding more and more with 3000's are crackled solder joints, popped scsi fuses (also common now with all S series rack samplers I've been buying), weird mod jobs to get the internal scsi up and going but if you have enough technical savvy then you and refurbish everything pretty readily now.
By martel80 Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:58 pm
classytouch wrote:
Yes I save all my sounds in 1 single Program for a song unless I need some type of change happening.
What would you be getting the 3000 for? If I were to get another MPC it'd be a 4000. The sound quality of those aren't as "tapish" as the 3000 but still of high quility! You just won't truly know until you get one in your possession and get the experience. Mpc 3000's hold their value so if you go the 3000 route and you're not into it you can just sell it and go for something else.


As I'm reading this its seems like a common agreement that the 4K is the way to go while it seems that the 3K might be a risky venture depending on the needs.

The thing is, I'm mostly into Rap aimed type of Trip hop, i'm not after the dirty dirty like the s900 but I'm definitely after some of that sweet warmth.

I'm really not into the hi-fi sound, but I had to position myself between that 12 bit grit and the Hi-fi sheen, I'd say I'm 10% on the lo fi grit with that warmth.

I'm trying reasonnot to listen to you and go with the 4k but it seems like I have an obsession for the 3K.
Since i've heard it and got back a S3000 , I'm just...posessed.

And I'd save 500$ listening to you and going with a 4k

Honestly, I dont know.
By martel80 Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:03 am
richie wrote:@martel, honestly there is no advantage to selling your S3000 as you seem to be more than technically inclined to use it for your preferred/intended purposes right.

The only real advantage to having the MPC 3000 that I can rationalize other than to show off to other gear whores on instagram pics, is that it has rock solid sequencer timing, which we've discussed in either this thread or another one that is what gives beats on it a huge part of character.

Now, if you're not feeling how mediocre/simplistic the OS options are on the MPC 3000, then next natural progression as well as cost effective route to take is to get the MPC 4000 -- Way more storage options for way cheaper, slightly tighter timing than the 60/3000, larger screen, filters, etc, pretty much everything that anyone would need. There is a learning curve but I'm sure you'd just set up a bunch of templates to fast track all your sh*t and go from there.

I agree with classy touch, at least at this time, grabbing a MPC 3000 isn't much of a risk financially -- provided that the person that sold it to you didn't sell you something that is riddled with issues. A common thing I've been finding more and more with 3000's are crackled solder joints, popped scsi fuses (also common now with all S series rack samplers I've been buying), weird mod jobs to get the internal scsi up and going but if you have enough technical savvy then you and refurbish everything pretty readily now.


I am not selling my s3000 for any reason. the s3000 is staying in the rack and thats all. He's mine and I love him very much.

The question is, Am I selling my 2kXL for a 4k or a 3k.
That's the question.

Hey' I'm done recording the frequency repsonse of my 3 units, I'll start a thread now if you want to have a look at the curves.
By Cockdiesel Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:12 am
I understand the obsession but unless you really want the sequencer it makes no sense. How much are you using the 2k to sample? You already have the sound, the 4000 only offers more features than your current setup. It’s got a clean sound, lots or sampling options but you may have most of that ground covered with the 3000. It’s easy to say stick with what you got, but I get the gear lust too.
By martel80 Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:49 am
Cockdiesel wrote:I understand the obsession but unless you really want the sequencer it makes no sense. How much are you using the 2k to sample? You already have the sound, the 4000 only offers more features than your current setup. It’s got a clean sound, lots or sampling options but you may have most of that ground covered with the 3000. It’s easy to say stick with what you got, but I get the gear lust too.


I guess i'm not really after the sequencer as I can fix my swing in my 2kXL to accuratly recreate the 3k swing.

I think what obsess me is the sound personality of my S3000 with an easy to use ( or should I say easier ) interface.
Lets be honest, It's a fawkin pain to play with a sampler veticaly.
I'm just scared that I end up getting the 4k and thinking, ''fawk, another 2k but just cleaner''

Thats my dilemna now.

Also the fact that a 2kXL really cover up the high freq part and really stack up quite nicely with the others.
I'm scared that If I end up with a 3K, I'm going to miss this glowing high freq part.
By Cockdiesel Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:06 am
I’m not an expert on this stuff but I owned a 4000 for over 10 years. It’s literally the king of Mpcs, it’s a full fledged sampler compared to the 2k. The sound is transparent but might offer some color under a microscope. Even the new Mpcs don’t rival the 4K much. It’s even worlds apart from the 2k. Picture something more “modern” sounding, does the basic mpc stuff but also a monster for midi and sampling. People here could get into more detail. I sold mine when I bought an mpc live. Only for the reason, I wanted other gear and never used it to it’s full potential. It’s really comprehensive.

Not sure if it’s needed, really. If someone wanted color I wouldn’t suggest a 4000, but it does have its own sound. Personally study up on the 4000 and as you learn the what features you can use with your new setup/workflow. I know you could make full use of one but is it really needed, or just an itch you can’t scratch?

You know what you’d be getting with a 3000.
Do you need or want the added features a 4000 would bring? Tighter sequencing, z8 sampler in a mpc format?
User avatar
By classytouch Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:16 am
martel80 wrote:
Cockdiesel wrote:I understand the obsession but unless you really want the sequencer it makes no sense. How much are you using the 2k to sample? You already have the sound, the 4000 only offers more features than your current setup. It’s got a clean sound, lots or sampling options but you may have most of that ground covered with the 3000. It’s easy to say stick with what you got, but I get the gear lust too.


I guess i'm not really after the sequencer as I can fix my swing in my 2kXL to accuratly recreate the 3k swing.

I think what obsess me is the sound personality of my S3000 with an easy to use ( or should I say easier ) interface.
Lets be honest, It's a fawkin pain to play with a sampler veticaly.
I'm just scared that I end up getting the 4k and thinking, ''fawk, another 2k but just cleaner''

Thats my dilemna now.

Also the fact that a 2kXL really cover up the high freq part and really stack up quite nicely with the others.
I'm scared that If I end up with a 3K, I'm going to miss this glowing high freq part.


Remember this..... You can go listen to a plethora of hits made on the Mpc 3000. As you listen to them you'll realize the frequency thing is trivial. When I got my 3000 the first thing I noticed was how my record sounded through it's circuitry. So warm and large! I've never used a S3000 but I suspect it's the same sound. You must consider when both units were made. Trust........There are still a bunch of PRO's that use the 3000, but consider the fact that they have frequency masters at their disposal if they're not polished engineers themselves. It'll ALWAYS boil down to what you have to offer the machine. Using the 3000 has been a very pleasurable experience for me. If you have a yearning for a 3000 follow that pull but also keep in mind you'll have to do some updating to it ( Valixi & CF card reader or Zip) in order for it to work with your modern storage sensibilities. In that you'll be getting a unit with less features than a 2000xl but with the sound your craving. Like I stated earlier.....My next MPC will be a 4000. And that's probably where it'll end for me. The new units don't interest me at all.....Go listen to Just Blaze beats! He's a 4000 MASTER you can catch the sonics of the 4000 there!
By martel80 Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 am
@cockdiesel and @classytouch

Thanks for your input guys.

I'll really need to sit and think about it.

And I kind of like my 2000XL in a way....its agressiveness really bring a different energy to the mix.

Oh boy, thats exactly the type of decision I dont like to take.
It always ended up badly.
User avatar
By JUKE 179r Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:05 am
classytouch wrote:@ JUKE179r how have you been going about your file management in the 3000?

I have an internal SCSI2SD card reader with a 1GB SD card that is the same that you have, the 26 of the 32MB partitions. And I also have a RaizenMonster CF card reader installed in place of the floppy for hot swapping CF cards.

martel80 wrote:And how does the 4K sound compare to the 2kXL ?

Is it still crispy or its a bit more loose and deep ?

cockdiesel pretty much nailed it about the 4000. I couldn't have said it better.
Also with the 4000 you can use AKSYS program via USB with it on a PC to tweak your samples and sounds.