Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By dumbeat Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:46 pm
Hi-

I bout the kit. Got the SCSI2SD card v5, with an 8gig Micro SD card in it and an adapter ribbon for connection to the internal scsi port in the MPC3K Vailixi 3.5.

It wont recognize the SCSI2SD when connected internally.

However, i connected a DB25 cable that i have in my studio, normally an audio DB25, from the SCSI2SD to the external SCSI port on the MPC.

In this case it does recognize the SCSI2SD, but when trying to format the card, it reaches an error after about 10 seconds of saying "Formatting Disk".

I followed all the advice on this forum as far as how to set up the MPC in the DISK => 9 => 5 setup menu.

What i can conclude is:

1. The internal setup is NOT working, which makes me think that connecting directly to the SCSI board inside the MPC is not enough. The back of the external scsi port of the MPC has a few components on it's own card, When connecting into the MPC internal SCSI card we are in tact bypassing the External Port's own card. That makes me think that there is a component on that bypassed card that is required, and thats why all the internal storage solutions out there provide a special adapter card that has a few components on it in order to make the connection to the MPC scsi card.

2. Even when i DO get the MPC to recognize the SCSI2SD card, by hooking it up to the external SCSI port directly with a db25, as if it was any ol' external drive , it wont Format the disk, so this error has nothing to do with the connections but something else.

Needless to say the SCSI2SD is programmed to have 4 ID's, first i tried 4X2g and then i re programmed to 4 X 1g and then 4 X 830mb, just to see if that makes a difference, it does not.

Anything im not thinking of? Termination? Fuse?

Also just as a note, the SCSI2SD is NOT getting power from the scsi port. i need to tap power from the Floppy drive's Molex.

What are your thoughts?
By JUKE 179r Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:55 pm
Your SCSI fuse might be blown. Check that first. easy to replace.
By mg73 Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:55 am
My SCSI2SD works when connecting it external
It's V5.1 with also an DB 25 female on it.
So with a DB25 male-male and without extra power I can partition and save etc.

But when connecting it internal with Amiga kit's blizzard cable connected to the MPC mainboard it's not recognized.
SCSI2SD -)DB25 scsicable male-male -)blizzard db25 female-IDC female-)AKAI mainboard(where AKAI’s own scsi connector used to be)

Is there a guide how to best setup the SCSI2SD with the MPC3000
Which parameters in SCSI2SD utility,how to format the SD etc etc
Would be nice to have a info guide with all information gathered as a sticky here on the forum.
Maybe also have a SD ISO that are corrected formatted available.
By JUKE 179r Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:22 am
Read the posts here about the SCSI2SD and Vailixi OS... https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=179137&hilit=scsi2sd
Also... disable (set to OFF) multi-sector transfer on the 3000...
mpc3000le wrote:DISK, 9, 5.
Set Multi Sector Transfer Mode to OFF.
Re-format the card.
Try saving now.
By JUKE 179r Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:01 am
Do you really need 4 SCSI IDs for a card reader to save samples on an older legacy MPC3000?
That’s just being greedy yo. Lol
By JUKE 179r Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:13 pm
Exactly. Lol