Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By aSecretRose Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 pm
Hi,
So, my MPC60ii produces a clicking noise at the end of a sample.
It seems to be more obvious on low end samples like kick drums and bass stabs.

I've tried altering the soft end in edit sound.
I've tried adjusting the envelope decay.
Neither stop it clicking at the end.

I did not hear it when i sampled the sound in, nor when I pressed soft key 1 to immediatley audition the new sample.

I do not hear it when in edit sound and press soft key 3 "play X". When i hit the pad though, I do hear it.

I changed the sample out from left/right to an individual out, (1-8) but it still clicks.

Is this a known issue? A software / hardware issue? A limitation of the machines spec when sampling a low frequency?

Thanks for your thoughts.
By Cases Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:53 pm
Ok, be patient. I remember throwing my keyboard through the window because of this issue. Don't be me! (really happened.) It's not a limitation, it's physics. It the nature of the sound waves accompanied by the digital world we live in, stay with me. We gonna fix this and make sure you will never have this issue ruin your workflow/inspiration again, but it takes patience and stamina sometimes! Keep loving your MPC for me okay? You got the most badass unit and I want you to keep using and trusting it, the unit (on this area) is perfectly fine. And as long as you are working with SOUND WAVES like making music, you will keep running in to it, no matter the environment you're in. At a certain point, it WILL bother you again. And that's what keeping us from the real deal, progress.

Start here, solution:
The clicking sound is caused by abrupt cancelation or change of certain (usually LOW) frequencies.

So imagine the sound wave you are working with, it goes up and down (NO SHIT). So the clicking happens, when the pulse of the wave is e.g. UP at the END of the sample but is e.g. DOWN on the beginning of the next sample following that one. (with loops that means the same sample right?.)

The fact you only hear it with low frequencies is because they are more prominent. This is what it should be, and when it clicks, it's because the wave didn't make it:

That's where it clicks, you need to match up the actual WAVE, and this takes time. In some cases/samples this seems impossible and and at that point what I usually do is to use a tiny little fade out on the end, until it's gone. When that doesn't work and I work with looping/reoccurring samples, I also do a tiny little fade in.

What also works, is pitch, because pitch allows us to make the waves either longer or shorter, so pitch until it's gone - but in a very refined way, don't just pitch up and down +1 or -1 but use the smallest steps possible, like 0.01 or 0.1 etc. Obviously we are not always able to do so since it alters the sound. (well, pitch.)

Let me know if you can get it fixed, if you still struggle with it I can easily do it for you if you send me your project files. Just don't make stuff like this disencourage you. (is that even a word? disencourage?)
By CharlesRandolph Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:00 am
aSecretRose wrote:Hi,

I did not hear it when i sampled the sound in, nor when I pressed soft key 1 to immediatley audition the new sample.

I do not hear it when in edit sound and press soft key 3 "play X". When i hit the pad though, I do hear it.

I changed the sample out from left/right to an individual out, (1-8) but it still clicks.

Is this a known issue? A software / hardware issue? A limitation of the machines spec when sampling a low frequency?

If you've trimmed the sample and applied decay at the start or end. But there still is a pop. I heard that sometimes the D/A Offset needs to be adjusted on the MPC 60 and 60 II. Check out the service manual and go page 9 and look at (5-3) Adjustment of the D/A converter OFF SET on the bottom.

Link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/99788 ... e=9#manual

I don't think you need a test disk to do this. Hope this helps.
By aSecretRose Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:30 pm
Thank you Cases for the detailed reply, I will try adjusting tuning in smallest steps, and see what results I get. And yes, it is a bad ass unit!

Thank you CharlesRandolph, I did not know about this D/A offset adjustment. Looking at fig. 5-6 in your link, that does resemble what I saw when I zoomed right in on the audio kick drum track in my DAW. I will download the service manual and look at it in more detail later.
By Gavface Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:45 am
Hi

Just wondered if you managed to fix this problem with the clicking at the end of the samples ?
I just got my MPC 60 back after having a full service and after a long break of nearly 20 years of using it I forgot how much I love it . But one thing that I don't feel is right is that I'm getting clicks or pops on the release of every sample and the samples have like an additional digital white noise that wasn't on the source material.

It's near impossible to get rid of the clicks however much I change the end point or the decay envelope its still present . Kicks are probably the worst but even hats and shakers are giving me clicks on release.

I understand that if the wave on release isn't on a zero crossing point it can lead to clicks but can't remember it ever being such a problem when I used to use the 60 .

I saw CharlesRandolph post about D/A offset adjustment which sounds like it could be likely but I'm not going to open it up and start messing around with it .

Has anyone else had this or similar problems with the 60 and found a solution ?
By dejayos Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:10 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
aSecretRose wrote:Hi,

If you've trimmed the sample and applied decay at the start or end. But there still is a pop. I heard that sometimes the D/A Offset needs to be adjusted on the MPC 60 and 60 II. Check out the service manual and go page 9 and look at (5-3) Adjustment of the D/A converter OFF SET on the bottom.

Link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/99788 ... e=9#manual

I don't think you need a test disk to do this. Hope this helps.

yes i had this years ago - it's an issue with the d/a offset
no its not normal for all the samples to have that click at the end lol
you'll fix it by finding the right setting with that trim pot =]