Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Lampdog Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:39 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
Lampdog wrote:ASR10 filters and effects were always gold standard to me, in part
because of the fact it was a keyboard/sampler. It wasn't even a dedicated effects box.
It did what it did beautifully, with it's lil ass 16mb.

one of the few cases where they were good enough to warrant making them into a dedicated FX box

Sometimes I would run my 2kxl main outs through ASR active inputs, this turned the ASR inputs into a "mixer" for me. ASR spit out audio from both 2kxl and itself via ASR main outs.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:33 pm
Lampdog wrote:Sometimes I would run my 2kxl main outs through ASR active inputs, this turned the ASR inputs into a "mixer" for me. ASR spit out audio from both 2kxl and itself via ASR main outs.

Roland VS 1680 and 1880 were nice as effect boxes. As long as they had the Roland VS8F-2 24-bit Effect Expansion Board in them.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 pm
I had a friend decades ago who had a 1680 and he swore by it.
But his music was 5 day old garbage.

Meaning, I can't trust his word on it if I can't even listen to his work because of his lack of sauce.

By mr_debauch Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 pm
i always wondered if those roland units had similar effects to the MV... Ian Canefire used to post about those units with pretty decent detail comparing the different models and it had me actually looking at those (not just breezing by when ever i saw them for sale) ..
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:22 pm
mr_debauch wrote:i always wondered if those roland units had similar effects to the MV... Ian Canefire used to post about those units with pretty decent detail comparing the different models and it had me actually looking at those (not just breezing by when ever i saw them for sale) ..

The Roland VS8F-3 cards were better than the VS8F-2 cards. Roland had lots of 3rd party developer making effect for them. Massenburg Labs, Universal Audio, and McDSP and some other guys. Being used as an effect box. I used the 2480 because it gave 16 line in and 16 out via R-Bus. Other than that, the Roland compression was horrible. At 24 bit uncompressed you would get 12 tracks, which was fine because it's was for effects only. :lol:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:02 pm
I'll check it out when I get home.

Nah, for real though, he had no beatmaking skill but swore up and down he was one of the greats of the mid 90's.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 pm
Lampdog wrote:I'll check it out when I get home.

Nah, for real though, he had no beatmaking skill but swore up and down he was one of the greats of the mid 90's.

Yeah, that tends to happen. I don't know how many big studios I went into. People with Million dollars of gear and it sound like fisher price. Some people have more money than sense, or more EGO than talent. Producing, Mixing, and Mastering a song is always hard.

Sometimes things take 20 minutes and other times it take 2 months. I think that's why music mixed in the 70's still sounds the best. They just didn't throw out songs they took their time.
By saltmcgault Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Sometimes I would run my 2kxl main outs through ASR active inputs, this turned the ASR inputs into a "mixer" for me. ASR spit out audio from both 2kxl and itself via ASR main outs.

I've been running my samples through the asr10 to mpc. I never thought of doing it the other way around. :hmmm:
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:58 pm
saltmcgault wrote:I've been running my samples through the asr10 to mpc. I never thought of doing it the other way around. :hmmm:

One of my partners, runs his MPC 3000 - 8 outs into 8 Roland SP404. He bought them when people sold them for 60 dollars on ebay. Now they cost more used, than they did brand new. :lol:
By Lampdog Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 pm
saltmcgault wrote:I've been running my samples through the asr10 to mpc. I never thought of doing it the other way around. :hmmm:

Not sampling ASR with MPC. Nope.

I used the ASR inputs as a mixer. MPC main outs into ASR inputs, you know you can make ASR inputs continuously active (on) right?

Audio from both machines gets mixed and comes out of ASR main outs. I sometimes did that so audio from both machines can be routed through the same effects on ASR.

ASR main outs went to audio interface.
By saltmcgault Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:15 pm
Lampdog wrote:

Not sampling ASR with MPC. Nope.

I used the ASR inputs as a mixer. MPC main outs into ASR inputs, you know you can make ASR inputs continuously active (on) right?

Audio from both machines gets mixed and comes out of ASR main outs.
ASR main outs went to audio interface.

you know you can make ASR inputs continuously active (on) right? Yes.

I basically have it flipped around and using effects from asr10 with the samples im using recording into mpc. I'm going to try this out. This is probably a lot better than the way i'm currently doing it.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 pm
What your doing is asr out to mpc, sampling with asr efx. Making it permanent, destructive.
If it works for you then it works, no right, wrong, or better.

I didn't care to sample asr into MPC, I just wanted them both to use asr efx and because of that it sounded more unified to me. ASR efx also were WAY better then mpc efx card.

Back then I only had a 2chn input audio interface and so this was a GOOD work around without a mixer.
By saltmcgault Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:35 pm
Lampdog wrote: I just wanted them both to use asr efx and because of that it sounded more unified to me.

This is basically what i'm aiming for. Regardless of which way i use it, I'm soo glad I pulled the trigger and bought that machine,
By JAYCEE3K Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:58 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:

One of my partners, runs his MPC 3000 - 8 outs into 8 Roland SP404. He bought them when people sold them for 60 dollars on ebay. Now they cost more used, than they did brand new. :lol:

Would've never guessed they wen't for that low.

Though i will say even at 200-500 bucks an SP404 or SP555 is worth it even if just for the fx itself to use with mpc.