Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By brodel34 Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:29 am
mr_debauch wrote:Here is another mind blowing fact.... the 3000 has NO EFFECTS AT ALL except for that one low pass filter... At least the 60 had an effects send/return... on the 3000 you have to do that with a mixer on the assignable outputs.

I guess people who spent a lot of time using those old pieces of gear see stuff like this as a non issue... if you need a filtered sound you aren't **** because your mpc doesn't have one.. you just take care of it with something else.

yeah it is pretty crazy that there is no effects. but its not "an issue".... just opens wide up the science of these guys' processes. especially considering most other drum machines and daws, at least the newer ones include the basics of eq and filters.
Last edited by brodel34 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By brodel34 Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:31 am
richie wrote:
brodel34 wrote:im the retarded one so im simply asking the questions. you are the expert so please tell me.

No hostility on my side. It was a simple question, if you are retarded. You answered with a confirmation that you are so we're good.

I'd also like to add -- I'm not sure if English is your native tongue as you tend to come off very smug to anyone that has dignified you with a response.

Also come on man.. Do you really think that some how by you getting your own MPC 3000 that you're going to crack this entire Dilla code, adding Dr Dre to boot? You are some how the end all be all authority in matters like this?

And yes I'm "familiar" with high pass filters.

yes, exactly. all anyone has to do is buy a 3k and they are dr dre and j dilla. thats exactly what i was saying. you're a high thinking fellow in a low level discussion, arent you?
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:40 am
Look up Todd Fairall, he did the mixing/engineering on many of J-Dilla Records. Everything was not done exclusively inside the MPC 3000, plus it's easier to track out the music and eq/filter in Software DAW or on Console. Honestly, it's basic mixing stuff when you have good music to work with.
By brodel34 Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:44 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Look up Todd Fairall, he did the mixing/engineering on many of J-Dilla Records.

thanks, i definitely will. wasn't aware of him i don't think.
but i know that dave cooley and others have said they werent doing a lot with his records. Mainly vocal interaction stuff. You can tell by his rough beats and beat tapes... his sound came all from him.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:48 am
brodel34 wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:Look up Todd Fairall, he did the mixing/engineering on many of J-Dilla Records.

thanks, i definitely will. wasn't aware of him i don't think.
but i know that dave cooley and others have said they werent doing a lot with his records. Mainly vocal interaction stuff. You can tell by his rough beats and beat tapes... his sound came all from him.

Depending on the artist. However if you listen to Fantastic Voyage Vol 2. The mixes of the music were all over the place on that album. Some good, Some fantastic, Some that should've never made the cut. :lol:
By Lampdog Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:26 pm
There was a wrong turn in this thread. Shore that shit up. I see where it started.

Manuals hold the basic info of the gear they represent and SHOULD be read. It’s a great starting point.
By Wal Martian Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:57 pm
MPC2000 - low pass and resonance filter only.
MPC2000xl - low pass and resonance filter only.
Like many of the greats (Easy Mo Bee, Hi-Tek, Toomp) J Dilla knew what he was doing in a studio and he used analog mixing desks, which all have EQ sections for each channel. He used racks of outboard gear too (Distressors, Focusrite Red 1 etc.) He also was very proficient with Pro Tools, recording to a Macbook Pro through a MBox 1.

By JUKE 179r Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 am
Need more filters and effects on an MPC3000? Just route it through an ASR-10. Done... :smoker:
By Lampdog Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 pm
ASR10 filters and effects were always gold standard to me, in part
because of the fact it was a keyboard/sampler. It wasn't even a dedicated effects box.
It did what it did beautifully, with it's lil ass 16mb.
By mr_debauch Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 am
Lampdog wrote:ASR10 filters and effects were always gold standard to me, in part
because of the fact it was a keyboard/sampler. It wasn't even a dedicated effects box.
It did what it did beautifully, with it's lil ass 16mb.

one of the few cases where they were good enough to warrant making them into a dedicated FX box
By richie Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:17 am
mr_debauch wrote:one of the few cases where they were good enough to warrant making them into a dedicated FX box

Good luck finding yourself a fairly priced DP/4 or DP/4+

Comparatively, you do have cheaper alternatives like the Lexicon LXP-15 which can be eprom upgraded to the LXP-15 II which has the Lexicon 224 reverb template in it among other things. Or you can say f*ck you richie I got Ableton and call it a day.
By brodel34 Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:54 pm
Wal Martian wrote:MPC2000 - low pass and resonance filter only.
Like many of the greats (Easy Mo Bee, Hi-Tek, Toomp) J Dilla knew what he was doing in a studio and he used analog mixing desks, which all have EQ sections for each channel. He used racks of outboard gear too (Distressors, Focusrite Red 1 etc.) He also was very proficient with Pro Tools, recording to a Macbook Pro through a MBox 1.

MPC2000 - low pass and resonance filter only.

yep

yep

Like many of the greats (Easy Mo Bee, Hi-Tek, Toomp) J Dilla knew what he was doing in a studio and he used analog mixing desks, which all have EQ sections for each channel.

source?

He used racks of outboard gear too (Distressors, Focusrite Red 1 etc.) He also was very proficient with Pro Tools, recording to a Macbook Pro through a MBox 1.[/color]

source? source? source?
that polished studio you are referring to was very very late. im not sure it was extremely late in his life and career. lets not act like j dillas body of work was made in that finished basement studio. do we even know if anything was actually officially touched officially down there? what do we know?

i'm very familiar with this image and the other images from this shoot. but was this even dillas studio? i'm not ruling it out... looks like the same floor. but lets not over generalize because theres a photo of him next to a board. wheres the records?

yes ive seen this from the doc. there is a board in this but we never get a good look to see what it actually actually is and determine if this is something he used all the time for drums.

yeah this was extremely late in his life.

what is this from? ive never seen this. ive seen the black and white photos of this house but not these photos. is that a 10 band stereo eq or something? also what is that flat machine in the middle? looks like possibly a reverb that the headphones are plugged into.

what is in the middle of the bottom photo with the jaylib sticker on it? sp-303 maybe?
By JUKE 179r Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:23 pm
brodel34 wrote:also what is that flat machine in the middle?

it's a Korg Electribe SX.
From what I've been told the SX is basically another sampler. Image

FYI... It's brother the blue MX is more for synth sounds and basslines.
By JAYCEE3K Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:01 am
richie wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:one of the few cases where they were good enough to warrant making them into a dedicated FX box

Good luck finding yourself a fairly priced DP/4 or DP/4+

Comparatively, you do have cheaper alternatives like the Lexicon LXP-15 which can be eprom upgraded to the LXP-15 II which has the Lexicon 224 reverb template in it among other things. Or you can say f*ck you richie I got Ableton and call it a day.

Right. lol.

I got lucky on that myself a couple years ago. So glad I got one.