Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By ana.lizer Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:45 am
Hello, I've just bought this MPC 3000 with this specific configurations:

direct link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AKAI-MPC-3000- ... 2749.l2649

description:
" If you're looking at this auction you already know the history behind this legendary piece of hardware, these are getting harder to find under 2K as time goes on and are considered vintage since they came out 25 years ago /1994. With that said;

Included is the Limited Edition face plate but unfortunately without the serial # plaque, original armrests/frame. The face plate has more than a few dings/dents/scratches and although this doesn't affect the functionality of the MPC it is something worth noting especially if this is important to you.

The "left" and "down" arrow buttons stopped working to toggle through the menus and although you can work around it I highly suggest getting them fixed because you use them a lot. The Button/contacts are included so you can get it repaired which was what I was going to do but then decided to just sell it since I rarely have time for music these days. OS is 3.11 but included is floppy disc with OS 3.16, I have never installed an OS so please do your research if you plan to do so. With all that said, this MPC does need some TLC/repairs and could use a few upgrades especially if you are trying to max it out.

Upgrades:
-New Backlight (Nice and bright, see pics)
-Memory 32mb

Buttons that need fixed:
-Left and down button need to be fixed, let me be clear on this; It is a headache to not have full use of these buttons, you use them for pretty much all menus.
-Tap tempo (if you even need it) needs to be fixed
- Help button (never had to use this)
-Slider button missing but honestly never needed it, you can buy these on ebay for cheap
-Buttons are cheap repairs and you can take it to a local place to get them soldered if you don't wish to do it and wont cost much, plus you already have the contacts included with this auction.

Tested:
-Outs 1-8 all work
-Stereo Out/ mono left right/ phones/ and Record inputs working
-Floppy Disk, working. During startup "SCSI disk not found" just press cancel and it goes to main menu
-All 16 pads working

Not tested:
-Midi / never used
-digital out/ never used

Also Includes:
- MPC 3000 Operators Manual
-Spare buttons
-Contacts for under the button to replace the ones that don't work
-Purple Fat pads
-OS 3.16 and some 808 sounds

Thank you for your interest and please let me know if you have any questions"

Pictures:

This is the first machine I've ever bought, cost me 1500$ with shipping and customs...do you guys think its worth it? as you can see, its all dented, dinged, bented and scratched all around the case, armrests and frame. I want to clean and restore this, do you guys think its possible? and is it reasonable?
By JUKE 179r Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:28 pm
I was watching that 3000 on eBay.
If you can solder, you can fix it up. Easy peasy. I’d suggest you replace all the tact switches because they will eventually fail due to the age of the MPC. You can also remove all the innards and press out the dents and clean it properly.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 pm
For all the work you have to do, $650 would've been a fair price. Now if you're into refurbishing and can solder like JUKE 179r said, then it's really no work at all. However, if you have someone else do it and you want it done right. It's may cost you more, than the entire machine.
By richie Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:22 am
It's very strange that the case itself is from the LE but missing the LE badge in the upper right hand corner.

It looks like it was used as a spare parts unit. $1500 though? I mean while I consider that a lot for the inconvenience of having to do additional refurbishment and repairs, it's what the market is clearly willing to pay online for this machine now.

Cost wise to repair the simple things is quite low but if you have no experience soldering, just send it to someone that does and let them do it. There is no way it will cost more than the entire machine as others have suggested unless you're dealing with someone clearly bent on ripping you off.

I'd also be concerned of any damage to the mainboard and control board as there is obvious impact damage to it. So hairline cracks are something that needs some investigation as well as any cracked solder connections that often impact units of this age.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:55 am
The Bench fee
Price per hour
Shipping to and from (Unless you take it to them.)
Tact switches
Remove all the dents and scratches
Repaint
Replace potentiometer
Replace Slider
A Pray that's the only thing wrong.

I'm not sure where you're at, but the place I take gear in Los Angeles is $75 bench fee and any time over that is $75 an hour. Now if everything takes 16 hours. That's $1125 not including parts. They also don't do paint, so that would need to be out sourced. All work is warranted and they're licensed.

If they have to ship it out of state, add another $200 for shipping to and from. How would you break down the cost?
By JUKE 179r Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:08 am
Yeah it's definitely an MPC3000 with a MPC3000LE top face plate without the LE badge. That is what kept me from buying it. But.... it is still an MPC tho.
For a little over $400 you can mod your own MPC3000...
$45 for MPC Stuff fat pads (if needed)
$40 for personalized Vailixi OS 3.5 chips
$48 for Artmix/Stratos Technology internal SCSI conversion kit
$110 for Kanamit_MPC blue LED screen (if needed)
$25 for 57 new OMRON #B3F-6022 tact switches from Mouser.com
$4 for a new ALPS note variation slider #'RS45112A6A05 from Mouser.com (if needed)
$75 for SCSI2SD card reader
$80 for the Data Entry potentiometer
Last edited by JUKE 179r on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:18 am
I agree, just as long as they know how to repair it. But what if they take to a shop in your area? Whats the going rate?

JUKE 179r wrote:Yeah it's definitely an MPC3000 with a MPC3000LE top face plate without the LE badge. That is what kept me from buying it. But.... it is still an MPC tho.
For a little over $400 you can mod your own MPC3000...
$45 for MPC Stuff fat pads
$40 for personalized Vailixi OS 3.5 chips
$48 for Artmix/Stratos Technology internal SCSI conversion kit
$110 for Kanamit_MPC blue LED screen
$25 for 57 new OMRON #B3F-6022 tact switches from Mouser.com
$4 for a new ALPS note variation slider #'RS45112A6A05 (if needed) from Mouser.com
$75 for SCSI2SD card reader
$80 for the Data Entry potentiometer
By JUKE 179r Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:22 am
I agree. It can then get expensive.
BTW... I didn't see your post unit I posted mine.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:27 am
Your post is a much more detail break down. The parts are pretty inexpensive, but the labor and shipping can always drives the price up. That's why I said, the OP should expect to pay more than the machine cost. Now if they're trying to fully restore that MPC 3000 and they want it done right. It's going cost. :-D

I know everyone is from different parts of global. I'm just stating what Los Angeles prices are.

JUKE 179r wrote:I agree. It can then get expensive.
BTW... I didn't see your post unit I posted mine.
By richie Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:50 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The Bench fee

If they have to ship it out of state, add another $200 for shipping to and from. How would you break down the cost?

I completely understand and can rationalize the costs being as such, given the scenario you put together. $75 an hour bench time is significantly more than what an experienced technician charges out east, although their price structure changes when they're invoicing an actual label/major studio or how quick of a turn around the client requires vs a regular person that just wants to make beats.

Cost wise, I'd be more in line with what Juke described, give or take 25-35% as not all parts on his menu are essential to having a working machine. The important things to me are what I detailed in the previous post but I have the privilege of experience to resolve these issues myself.

I'd like to assume that if the OP had that kind of bread to put up, he would've already done so by spending $350-500 more on a clean and complete unit. But I am sensing that if given the option, wouldn't shell out another grand to refurbish that unit back to like-new anyway.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:43 pm
There are places, that do charge a lower bench fee, however the work is slower and ends up costing more. But for $1500, I would've passed on the unit. Like you stated, for 500 more the OP could've gotten a fully functional machine, without having to do all so many repairs.

Would love to see pictures of the inside. :lol:

richie wrote:I completely understand and can rationalize the costs being as such, given the scenario you put together. $75 an hour bench time is significantly more than what an experienced technician charges out east, although their price structure changes when they're invoicing an actual label/major studio or how quick of a turn around the client requires vs a regular person that just wants to make beats.

Cost wise, I'd be more in line with what Juke described, give or take 25-35% as not all parts on his menu are essential to having a working machine. The important things to me are what I detailed in the previous post but I have the privilege of experience to resolve these issues myself.

I'd like to assume that if the OP had that kind of bread to put up, he would've already done so by spending $350-500 more on a clean and complete unit. But I am sensing that if given the option, wouldn't shell out another grand to refurbish that unit back to like-new anyway.
By richie Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:39 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Would love to see pictures of the inside. :lol:

Yeah totally. The thing with the MPC 3000 is that a good amount of the ones I've encountered have some sort of problem with it. Even units that look pristine are prone to cracked solder connections, it is clear to me that there is something with the manufacturing process.

Secondly, units that come from humid locations like Japan or down south in Florida always have a weird layer of grime on it requiring a lot more cleaning.
By JUKE 179r Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:48 am
We must have scared off @ana.lizer.
He hasn’t returned to comment.