Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By ownlife Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:17 pm
I’ve had this mpc for years and I’ve used it for layering drums using the Simult function before. But now I’m having an issue I can’t figure out.

I’m trying to layer a low kick drum with chopped up disco drums. The way to do this is to set the chops to be Simult and then select the low kick as the sound that will be triggered at the same time. The problem is, when I do this, the break part is cut super short, like essentially just the transient comes through. I messed with the attack and decay parameters etc nothing changed. I tried to see if I needed to hold the pad down as you would in the Note Off function but that also wasn’t it.

I tried doing it backwards as well, select the kick as Simult and then have it trigger part of the break. This causes the kick to be cut short to just the transient.

I really can’t figure this out, the manual says nothing and there is zero coming up on g**gle.
By mr_debauch Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:56 pm
what OS are you using?

maybe look to see if there is a pad mute assigned... between the two original pads
By ownlife Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 am
mr_debauch wrote:what OS are you using?

maybe look to see if there is a pad mute assigned... between the two original pads

Ah yeah my bad, I’m on 3.10

No mutes or anything assigned.

Also after I change it to Simult, if I have no sample selected or some pad that has no sample on it, the sample plays fine. As soon as it is switched to another sample, the first sample is cut off after the transient at the beginning.
By mr_debauch Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:01 am
that is strange. I don't use simult myself, I tend to just put the two pads in the sequence manually... out of curiosity, if you did that, would it still cut off like that?
By ownlife Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:03 am
mr_debauch wrote:that is strange. I don't use simult myself, I tend to just put the two pads in the sequence manually... out of curiosity, if you did that, would it still cut off like that?

No. But I’m not using quantization since I’m using chopped up portions of breaks, and I guess I could go in step edit and add kick hits everywhere a break chop is but that would be so tedious and this should just work right in the first place.
By mr_debauch Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:16 am
oh ok good point... well try adding both pads individually on a spot in the sequence like 2.1 and see if it still does it... if it only does it while in simult and not otherwise, than i have no idea... another idea is to reset parameters and check again.
By ownlife Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:07 pm
Yeah zero problems with two things hitting at the same time in a sequence. Just when using Simult to play two samples at a time when hitting a pad.
By mr_debauch Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 am
that sounds like a bug. Good news is that vimana chips can be found cheap if you want to see if changing the OS helps
By ownlife Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:21 pm
mr_debauch wrote:that sounds like a bug. Good news is that vimana chips can be found cheap if you want to see if changing the OS helps

I’ve definitely successfully used this before in the past so it’s not a flaw of the OS, it’s either a setting that has been changed somehow or something is broken. Was hoping it had been figured out but I guess it’s not a common issue at all.

Either which way I’m a decade and a half deep in this thing I'm not changing OS now for any reason really.
By mr_debauch Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:11 am
i threw the idea in there at the end of another comment up there so i am not sure if you saw it... maybe try to reset the parameters too... the 60 has that battery that saves the settings and if something gets set wrong, it keeps it that way. maybe that might help.

i feel you on changing chips, i was on 2.12 forever and a few years ago i decided to grab a set of those pirated vimana chips to see what the fuss was all about. for me it was a real step up, but i don't know if it really would be for a 3.10 user.
By Movements Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:06 am
ownlife wrote:Yeah zero problems with two things hitting at the same time in a sequence. Just when using Simult to play two samples at a time when hitting a pad.

I've never been able to make it work on my 60ii. I'd love to know what i'm doing wrong as well.
By richie Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:57 am
Movements wrote:I've never been able to make it work on my 60ii. I'd love to know what i'm doing wrong as well.

Get the Vimana ROM upgrade.
By Movements Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:35 pm
Maybe the samples have to be assigned to different outputs. Kinda like an SP1200 has to in order to play sounds simultaneously. I’m usually listening through the main outs only, perhaps the function doesn’t work through those.