Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By dtirer Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:09 pm
I'm trying to install an LED screen for my MPC 3000. I purchased the screen from MPC Stuff.

I had gotten the new screen in and powered the MPC up and it was fine, though I had put the screen in upside down :cry:

So I went back and flipped it, and then when I powered on again, it was all garbled text. I powered off and on again and now I just get a blank screen

I flipped back to the old screen to check if that was the issue and I get the same blank screen there too.

I seem to be able to tap play / stop, etc and the LEDs all light up. Any idea what the issue might be?
By JUKE 179r Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 pm
Press and turn the contrast knob on the left of the screen.
By dtirer Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:46 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:Press and turn the contrast knob on the left of the screen.

unfortunately that didn't change anything. Turning the knob and pushing the button don't have an effect
By JUKE 179r Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am
Hopefully you didn't fry something. The contrast knob should work.
You sure you got the screen wired up correctly? Does yours connect to the inverter board near the power supply?
I don't have a MPC-Stuff screen so I don't know the connections. Mine is a Kanamit_MPC screen which was simple to install and bypasses the noisey inverter board.
By JUKE 179r Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:59 pm
I don't know what to tell you then.
Reinstall the old screen to see if that still works. If the old screen works then the new LED screen is the culprit.
By dtirer Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:50 pm
Yeah like I said in the original post, I flipped back to the original and it does the same thing — though pushing the contrast button on that one turns off the light.

Was mostly wondering if I should be looking for a particular thing I might unplugged by mistake or knocked loose

Thanks for you help
By dtirer Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:59 am
Just an update here: it seems the system itself is working fine. Because I know the button commands by heart, even without the screen, I was successfully able to sample a sound, play it back, and save it to a program

So it literally seems like the text just isn't being transmitted to the screen. And as I mentioned, this started after trying to replace the screen with the LED screen, but since opening it up to replace it, but the old screen and new screen exhibit this behavior, so it doesn't seem to be the actual screen

any ideas?
By NearTao Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:24 pm
Maybe an oxidized connection? I'm going to get nicknamed mr. deoxit or something... but if either the ribbon cable or the connection is oxidized you might have a bad connection. Maybe trying some rubbing alcohol, or deoxit on both the cable and the connector.
By dtirer Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:27 pm
thanks i'll give that a try!

NearTao wrote:Maybe an oxidized connection? I'm going to get nicknamed mr. deoxit or something... but if either the ribbon cable or the connection is oxidized you might have a bad connection. Maybe trying some rubbing alcohol, or deoxit on both the cable and the connector.
By NearTao Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:28 pm
dtirer wrote:thanks i'll give that a try!

NearTao wrote:Maybe an oxidized connection? I'm going to get nicknamed mr. deoxit or something... but if either the ribbon cable or the connection is oxidized you might have a bad connection. Maybe trying some rubbing alcohol, or deoxit on both the cable and the connector.

Just don't be rough... and give it some time to dry before reconnecting or powering on... you don't want to create a circuit where it shouldn't exist.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:16 am
You blew the R8 resistor. You will need to remove the main PCB and solder in a new R8 resistor. I posted about this a few weeks back. I've since fixed it and it works perfectly.