Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 am
i know people have zip drives for the most part and im assuming 1 zip disk per project. but how many floppy disks? and how does it work for saving?... you just hit save and keep feeding disks until its finished? or do you have to manually save individual parts of each project?

excuse my ignorance. im looking to by a 3000 and will be a first time mpc owner.
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:57 am
NearTao wrote:Depends on how much memory you have. At 32mb of memory, if you used it all up, you would need the number of floppies at 720kb/1.44mb that add up to that much memory.

You can use 1 Zip disk for more than one project.

right i know that, brother. i didn't ask how to calculate, i asked how many disks. i'm searching for some context in a sea of numbers here. thats why i came to ask 3k users how many disks i can expect to use on average per project. i've been reading the manual.

"how many floppies can i expect to use? how many do you guys tend to use?"

"as many as it takes"

i've spoken with one guy and i calculated roughly around 12 disks per project on average. this was before i created this thread. was hoping for a little more context than this one random guys unique process.

12 seems insane to me. and i know for a fact the og's were using floppies back in the day. theres a video of hi tek sifting through floppies. but 12 disks per project? seems outrageous
By NearTao Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 pm
I am not sure why you're shocked by that... it all depends on the amount of samples you use, and how much you're willing to trim, chop, loop your samples.

If you want to get down to one disk, you absolutely can... and many folks on the 3k use one program per disk just to keep sanity...

I think you're asking the wrong question though... you might as well ask how much water should somebody drink per day. The amount of water the average person should drink is not the same as a specific person. Hence the "it takes what it takes".

You want to make projects that use less than the 1.44mb size of a floppy then cool... nothing is stopping you, but if you plan on using all 32mb of memory be prepared for using a lot of floppies... or move to a scsi solution so you're not stuck in the floppy 1/2/3/4/... game.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:59 pm
NearTao wrote:I am not sure why you're shocked by that... it all depends on the amount of samples you use, and how much you're willing to trim, chop, loop your samples.

If you want to get down to one disk, you absolutely can... and many folks on the 3k use one program per disk just to keep sanity...

I think you're asking the wrong question though... you might as well ask how much water should somebody drink per day. The amount of water the average person should drink is not the same as a specific person. Hence the "it takes what it takes".

You want to make projects that use less than the 1.44mb size of a floppy then cool... nothing is stopping you, but if you plan on using all 32mb of memory be prepared for using a lot of floppies... or move to a scsi solution so you're not stuck in the floppy 1/2/3/4/... game.

I still find it crazy people are buying a machine with 32 mb of ram for $2000 - $3000 dollars in 2020.
By NearTao Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:30 pm
I keep hearing simplified workflow... which while in many ways is true... these systems do force you to fit inside them if you're used to a more 'unlimited' workflow...

I feel like in many ways, such as the floppy disk space is not quite so true.

I still use much of my workflow from these older systems on the newer MPCs... for me it isn't so much magic... and yeah there is nostalgia... but I don't see myself going back. There are a few hitches to the 'old ways'... but...
By Lampdog Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:42 pm
"as many as it takes"
This is a real answer.

....to a question with different variables from different producers with different project needs.
The only constant would be max ram and how many floppies it takes to fill up that ram.

A flawed question right out the gate..
By CharlesRandolph Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:16 pm
With less, it just forces people to a make a decision. The new sampler will run circles around the MPC 3000. But the sequencer/midi functions on the MPC 3000 is better than the new MPC's. As far as sound, cut the highs and boost the middles on the new sampler, now you have 3000 sound. :lol:

I would shoot myself, if I had to save or load 8 floppies for one beat. I have patience, but not that much. :lol:

NearTao wrote:I keep hearing simplified workflow... which while in many ways is true... these systems do force you to fit inside them if you're used to a more 'unlimited' workflow...

I feel like in many ways, such as the floppy disk space is not quite so true.

I still use much of my workflow from these older systems on the newer MPCs... for me it isn't so much magic... and yeah there is nostalgia... but I don't see myself going back. There are a few hitches to the 'old ways'... but...
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:58 pm
peterpiper wrote:You can do a lot with 1 disk (1.44MB) .
peace

BTW that MF MPC2000 track in my sig uses 347kbyte (267kbyte for samples and the rest for sequences)

thanks! this helps.
thanks for not being an asshat like the rest of these miserable ****.
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:59 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
NearTao wrote:I am not sure why you're shocked by that... it all depends on the amount of samples you use, and how much you're willing to trim, chop, loop your samples.

I still find it crazy people are buying a machine with 32 mb of ram for $2000 - $3000 dollars in 2020.

nobody gives a flying **** what you thinnk boss.
you came into a 3000 forum to talk shit about the 3000. go find something to do.
Last edited by brodel34 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03 pm

because i have no context. duh. thats why its surprising. also why i was trying to get a feel for how many disks people tend to use when using floppies.

the question is very relevant for someone who has to have an idea for how many of these **** floppies he has to buy in the future. let people ask questions. ok?
By Lampdog Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:05 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:CF or SD Card Reader.

In the case of not wanting to use several floppies, this is the better option.
Immediately after I bought a 2kxl I removed floppy drive, installed multi card-reader device and that’s the best thing you can do for your 3k. 1 card, all files and done.
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:14 pm
Lampdog wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:CF or SD Card Reader.

In the case of not wanting to use several floppies, this is the better option.
Immediately after I bought a 2kxl I removed floppy drive, installed multi card-reader device and that’s the best thing you can do for your 3k. 1 card, all files and done.

for sure. and i'm betting the one i eventually buy will probably have one. but i'm also after a bit of context. i'm curious how they used this thing when it came out. like i said... i saw a vid of hitek sifting through floppies. im not sure the timeline of the zip drive but it was out fairly soon after the release of the 3000 if not already when it dropped. im sure a lot of cats were using it with zips early. but some were not obviously.

i gotta be honest.... as horrible as using floppies is and sounds... it also seems to be kind of neat to store beats on floppies. "why do you boxes of floppies?" "those are beats :P "

and also for the record.... theres something to be said about storing beats on numerous floppies opposed to numerous beats on one zip. i can't put my finger on it.

but yeah.... obviously at the end of the day the most sense will be an upgrade. i agree.