Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Lampdog Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:28 pm
I can hear nostalgia in your text.

Let it go. Maybe replace floppy with usb emulator.
My best suggestion is a solution where there are no moving parts.
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:42 pm
Lampdog wrote:I can hear nostalgia in your text.

Let it go. Maybe replace floppy with usb emulator.
My best suggestion is a solution where there are no moving parts.

guilty of a tiny bit of nostalgia. but on the other hand is very real.....

the idea of a beat existing in numerous floppies in a very tangible physical form (with its own obvious drawbacks) vs searching for one beat through several physical things.

i suppose the same idea applies to compact flash disks though. obviously you're mostly right at the end of the day. simply exploring things.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:04 pm
brodel34 wrote:nobody gives a flying **** what you thinnk boss.
you came into a 3000 forum to talk **** about the 3000. go find something to do.

You asking how many floppy disks are required for 3000 projects?

If your project is 15 MB (Half the MPC 3000 memory if you have that upgrade) It will take 15 floppy disk which will take 180 second to save. Now that's only saving time, it does not include taking out the disk, labeling the disk, and putting in another. Yes, you have to label the disk in the proper order, because when you load the project, it will ask for each disk in order.

We always tried to keep 1 disk per project, because it was easier to back up. Saving to multi floppies risk, losing a project because the disk 3 could be corrupted or doesn't load correctly. :lol: Also I'm not taking about the MPC 3000, I'm talking about saving to TRASH FLOPPY DISK!

MPC 3000 is a great sequencer and MIDI machine. It's a below average sampler, that's why people paired them with S Series rack-mount samplers. Are they worth $2000+ in 2020: No. The most I would pay is $700 bucks and that's being nice.

Also the people I know who still use them, samples to them, sequence, then track out the stems. They don't save MPC 3000 projects. Or they use them as a sequencer to push external gear.

brodel34 wrote:its funny that no matter what i do its not right.

i try to emulate the 3000 "just buy one! :Sigh: "

i decide to buy one "why are you buying a sampler from 93? just boost the mids and cut the highs :Sigh: "

Just put in more time learning and using a good eq.
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:40 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
brodel34 wrote:nobody gives a flying **** what you thinnk boss.
you came into a 3000 forum to talk **** about the 3000. go find something to do.

You asking how many floppy disks are required for 3000 projects?

If your project is 15 MB (Half the MPC 3000 memory if you have that upgrade) It will take 15 floppy disk which will take 180 second to save. Now that's only saving time, it does not include taking out the disk, labeling the disk, and putting in another. Yes, you have to label the disk in the proper order, because when you load the project, it will ask for each disk in order.

We always tried to keep 1 disk per project, because it was easier to back up. Saving to multi floppies risk, losing a project because the disk 3 could be corrupted or doesn't load correctly. :lol: Also I'm not taking about the MPC 3000, I'm talking about saving to TRASH FLOPPY DISK!

MPC 3000 is a great sequencer and MIDI machine. It's a below average sampler, that's why people paired them with S Series rack-mount samplers. Are they worth $2000+ in 2020: No. The most I would pay is $700 bucks and that's being nice.

Also the people I know who still use them, samples to them, sequence, then track out the stems. They don't save MPC 3000 projects. Or they use them as a sequencer to push external gear.

brodel34 wrote:its funny that no matter what i do its not right.

i try to emulate the 3000 "just buy one! :Sigh: "

i decide to buy one "why are you buying a sampler from 93? just boost the mids and cut the highs :Sigh: "

Just put in more time learning and using a good eq.

oh ok. nevermind guys.... i'll just learn what an eq does. thanks charles randolph!
By CharlesRandolph Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:07 pm
brodel34 wrote:oh ok. nevermind guys.... i'll just learn what an eq does. thanks charles randolph!

Get someone with MPC 3000 and have to run some sounds through it. Then take those sound and the original, and EQ the original until sounds like the one processed through the MPC 3000.

Just A and B it until it sounds like the MPC 3000. Do that with different sound sources until you find the eq curve of the that particular MPC 3000. :nod:
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:09 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
brodel34 wrote:oh ok. nevermind guys.... i'll just learn what an eq does. thanks charles randolph!

Get someone with MPC 3000 and have to run some sounds through it. Then take those sound and the original, and keep EQ it until sounds like the one processed through the MPC 3000.

Just A and B it until it sounds like it. Do that with different sound sources until you find the eq curve of the that particular MPC 3000. :nod:

first i have to learn what this eq thing is!
By richie Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 pm
If you already have your mind made up, then why ask the question only to insult those giving you solid advice?

You're a sub-human being if you deliberately choose to use a floppy drive on your MPC 3000 in 2020.
By brodel34 Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:46 pm
richie wrote:If you already have your mind made up, then why ask the question only to insult those giving you solid advice?

You're a sub-human being if you deliberately choose to use a floppy drive on your MPC 3000 in 2020.

mind made up on what? what are you even talking about? this is a discussion. its a forum.

the amount of miserable condesending aholes on this forum is unreal. thanks for nothing richie. and i never said i was deliberately choosing a floppy drive.

btw... SICK rolex and rug bro!! :lol:
By richie Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:53 pm
brodel34 wrote:mind made up on what? what are you even talking about? this is a discussion. its a forum.

the amount of miserable condesending aholes on this forum is unreal. thanks for nothing richie. and i never said i was deliberately choosing a floppy drive.

btw... SICK rolex and rug bro!! :lol:

I agree with 95% of what you said but you should be thanking me for something, not for nothing.
By peterpiper Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
We always tried to keep 1 disk per project, because it was easier to back up. Saving to multi floppies risk, losing a project because the disk 3 could be corrupted or doesn't load correctly. :lol:

+1
same goes for projects that uses more than 1 sampler (drums from sampler X, loops from sampler Y, sequence from MPC). Loosing 1 disk in such a project feels really bad (been there :( )
but on the other hand: You only loose 1 project when using floppies while with a corrupted SD or CF card you loose all projects ;)

Solution: backups. ALWAYS make backups. With floppies thats a hassle. More time, at least double the amount of floppies. With cards this isn't a big deal and you can make 10 backups of all your projects and store them in different rooms, houses :)

The reason why my samplers doesn't have a card readers is lazyness (copying all the floppies from 3 different samplers to card is not done in an hour) and my financial situation. But I've used the floppies long enough so I don't get nostalgic feelings anymore. Only thing I would miss is the 'count internally' with the clicks the floppy drive makes :)

peace
By CharlesRandolph Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:54 pm
peterpiper wrote:
+1
same goes for projects that uses more than 1 sampler (drums from sampler X, loops from sampler Y, sequence from MPC). Loosing 1 disk in such a project feels really bad (been there :( )
but on the other hand: You only loose 1 project when using floppies while with a corrupted SD or CF card you loose all projects ;)

Solution: backups. ALWAYS make backups. With floppies thats a hassle. More time, at least double the amount of floppies. With cards this isn't a big deal and you can make 10 backups of all your projects and store them in different rooms, houses :)

The reason why my samplers doesn't have a card readers is lazyness (copying all the floppies from 3 different samplers to card is not done in an hour) and my financial situation. But I've used the floppies long enough so I don't get nostalgic feelings anymore. Only thing I would miss is the 'count internally' with the clicks the floppy drive makes :)

peace

+1, I used to count and freestyle to those clicks. :lol: