Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By brodel34 Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:09 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:You could, I just prefer to avoid floppies, zip, spinning hard drives at all cost. I did a year of archiving and getting rid of all old storage media and connections. Firewire, VGA, SCSI, IDE, Serial, USB 1 no longer exist to me. :lol:

so what do you use then?

storing floppy disk images on ssd's might be the move for me. or at least backing them up.
hmm.
By richie Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:04 am
brodel34 wrote:storing floppy disk images on ssd's might be the move for me. or at least backing them up.
hmm.

With the Vailixi 3.50 upgrade, you can format whatever SCSI related drive to a hybrid partition. This will allow you to read that partition on your computer where you can easily backup your programs and samples without any sort of conversion.

Storing disk images on an SSD only makes sense if your intention is to have them backed up to an external device. You will not be able to read the disk images natively on the 3000.

You can however load a disk off the floppy drive, save it to the external SCSI device and be good to make use of the hybrid partition option I talked about above.
By brodel34 Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:02 am
richie wrote:
brodel34 wrote:storing floppy disk images on ssd's might be the move for me. or at least backing them up.
hmm.

With the Vailixi 3.50 upgrade, you can format whatever SCSI related drive to a hybrid partition. This will allow you to read that partition on your computer where you can easily backup your programs and samples without any sort of conversion.

Storing disk images on an SSD only makes sense if your intention is to have them backed up to an external device. You will not be able to read the disk images natively on the 3000.

You can however load a disk off the floppy drive, save it to the external SCSI device and be good to make use of the hybrid partition option I talked about above.

i think id rather save hard copies of beats to floppies and back up the floppies on ssd, than have to worry about partitions and which beat is on what hard drive. i suppose the same can be said about loose floppies but i guess its preference.

i'll probably change my mind when i actually get my hands on one
By brodel34 Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:03 am
and for the record...
i was being smarmy and sarcastic at the people saying to apply an eq to emulate the 3000. you guys don't know the first thing about emulating the 3000. its much much more than an eq curve. you wouldnt know how to get even halfway in emulating the punch or the DAC chip.

but you guys aren't ready for that conversation.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:45 am
brodel34 wrote:and for the record...
i was being smarmy and sarcastic at the people saying to apply an eq to emulate the 3000. you guys don't know the first thing about emulating the 3000. its much much more than an eq curve. you wouldnt know how to get even halfway in emulating the punch or the DAC chip.

but you guys aren't ready for that conversation.

Says the person who actually think they can tell the difference between a 3000 and MPC Live. :lol:
By richie Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:55 am
brodel34 wrote:
i think id rather save hard copies of beats to floppies and back up the floppies on ssd, than have to worry about partitions and which beat is on what hard drive. i suppose the same can be said about loose floppies but i guess its preference.

Why someone would still prefer to stick with floppy disks when it is of every advantage to have an easier to backup, organize, drag and drop ability with their 3000 is beyond me.

But like you said, it's "preference" Look at the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=183168&start=15

If you had a SCSI2SD, it emulates 4 hard drives at the same time. That means with the hybrid stricture I'm talking about, you will literally have the ability to save the equivalent of 3328 floppy disks (or 104 32megabyte beats) on one micro sd card alone.

If this some how still doesn't make sense to you, then all good.
By richie Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:08 am
brodel34 wrote:but you guys aren't ready for that conversation.

I can literally beat you or anyone here at an arm wrestling match, without even having to use my arms.

You cannot out troll me.

I am sorry to inform you that you have been added to the "list".
By brodel34 Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:33 pm
richie wrote:
brodel34 wrote:

Why someone would still prefer to stick with floppy disks when it is of every advantage to have an easier to backup, organize, drag and drop ability with their 3000 is beyond me.

But like you said, it's "preference" Look at the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=183168&start=15

If you had a SCSI2SD, it emulates 4 hard drives at the same time. That means with the hybrid stricture I'm talking about, you will literally have the ability to save the equivalent of 3328 floppy disks (or 104 32megabyte beats) on one micro sd card alone.

If this some how still doesn't make sense to you, then all good.

wait.... so you're telling me that with the scsi i can somehow magically have more storage than a floppy??

yeah... i think i got the concept boss.
By JUKE 179r Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:08 pm
richie wrote:Why someone would still prefer to stick with floppy disks when it is of every advantage to have an easier to backup, organize, drag and drop ability with their 3000 is beyond me.

But like you said, it's "preference"...

I'm with you on that.
I've refurbished quite a few MPC's over the years. When I start talking to the clients about upgrading their floppy to a SCSI2SD drive, surprisingly more than half of the owners want to keep the floppy disk. :?
I don't get it, but hey...it's their baby.

Hell... I'd love to own a '64 Impala SS 409 V8 powerglide automatic that originally came with an stock AM radio but damn it, I'd install a 7" double DIN touch screen Bluetooth USB aftermarket radio in the glove compartment in a hot minute.
Last edited by JUKE 179r on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:18 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:I'm with you on that.
I've refurbished quite a few MPC's over the years. When I start talking to the clients about upgrading their floppy to a SCSI2SD drive, surprisingly more than half of the owners want to keep the floppy disk. :?

Hell... I'd love to own a stock '64 Impala SS 409 V8 powerglide automatic that originally came with an AM radio but damn it, I'd install a 7" double DIN touch screen Bluetooth USB aftermarket radio in the glove compartment in a hot minute.

The main difference is they actually owned the machine. Not sit online fantasizing about using floppy disk. :lol:
By brodel34 Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:48 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
JUKE 179r wrote:I'm with you on that.

Hell... I'd love to own a stock '64 Impala SS 409 V8 powerglide automatic that originally came with an AM radio but damn it, I'd install a 7" double DIN touch screen Bluetooth USB aftermarket radio in the glove compartment in a hot minute.

The main difference is they actually owned the machine. Not sit online fantasizing about using floppy disk. :lol:

fantasizing about using floppy disks? i'm trying to buy one and im asking questions. this is an mpc 3000 forum. oh and for the record they are overpriced right now so its very difficult. but what would you even know about market value? plus we're in the middle of a pandemic.

you're a **** clown bro. like lets sit around and clown the dude who is asking about the hardware that is stock on the machine. go **** yourself.

when are you going to graduate being a forum rat and actually take an mpc and make something of yourself with it? my guess is you will always be the clown you are.

what the **** do you even do with your mpc?? i'm genuiniely curious.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:00 pm
brodel34 wrote:fantasizing about using floppy disks? i'm trying to buy one and im asking questions. this is an mpc 3000 forum. oh and for the record they are overpriced right now so its very difficult. but what would you even know about market value? plus we're in the middle of a pandemic.

Truthfully, they've been overpriced for 10+ years. :lol:

brodel34 wrote:what the **** do you even do with your mpc?? i'm genuiniely curious.

Not use floppy disk. :nod: