Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Kotac Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:59 am
I have the scsi upgrade and have been using the external zip drive connecting the cable to the back of the mpc but its kind of a drag to keep hooking up the drive to save and load sounds plus when the zip disc is in its really noisy. Was looking into getting one of these Usb drive upgrades that replace the floppy drive so i can just plug the usb drive right into the mpc anytime i wanna save or load sounds. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is this the best option in terms of loading and saving sounds? Asking before I buy because they are like $100-$150. The one I was looking at is called Nalbontov and its like $150.
By Kotac Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:49 pm
Ok got it. So that would still be an external drive practically same set up as the iomega zip drive just way better functionality? I have OS 3.10, will the Sd drive you linked work with this Os? Only reason I ask is because while I was looking into it I saw that one drive required OS vimana maybe that was for the Sd drive that you connect internally in place of the floppy drive? Thanks for the reply and sorry for the ignorance on this topic lol. I will most likely buy the drive you linked but im gonna wait to hear back form you to confirm if it'll work or not.
By Kotac Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:57 pm
Sorry I just did a little more research I see what you mean now, there is no cable at all it literally plugs into the scsi port on the mpc and stats there. When I order this I am going to buy the micro sd card from them as well. Should I get the 8 or 32 gb? Thanks again for the help
By vout Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 am
OS 3.10 works perfectly with SCSI2SD. There are limits to the amount of space the 60 can use on a scsi device, so the 8GB card would be all you need. You have to set up the card first on a computer using the SCSI2SD utility to create 4 virtual drives of 1GB, then format and partition each drive on the 60 before use. There's a lot of info on the forum about this. Good luck.
By Kotac Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:19 pm
Ok thanks for the help I placed the order today and will look up more info on the forum.
By mikolo Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Just looking into this now. I have a MPC60 with 3.10.... what are the options for putting the drive internally where the floppy drive normally sits? I can see the site linked to does have some v5.1 boards in mounting brackets. Any success with these? Thanks
By Kotac Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:36 pm
So I don’t have mine set up yet I’m waiting for it to come in the mail but from what I looked into this past week it seems to me that the best option really is the 5.5. It’s small, plugs right into the back with no worries about OS or issues installing, and I believe also runs off the power of the SCSI. I can give you more details if you want in a few days when I have it set up and fully functioning