Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By ernestbonilla33 Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:17 am
Hi guys I just bought an MPC 60 and I’m very new to it. For some reason every time I put in a floppy disk it can be any disk and try to load up the sounds error FF80 generates stating that there is no disk in the disk drive. Which is odd because while it’s trying to process it the light on the disk drive lights up red and then shuts off. What can I do in this situation? Will I have to replace my disk drive or is there an alternate fix? Thanks!
By richie Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:45 am
In my experience FF80 is related to drive physically malfunctioning in some area.

- Dirty read write heads
- Stuck / dying motor.
- Other forms of internal debris.
- A cracked floppy ribbon cable.

You can google "FF80" to even "Cleaning floppy disk drive" to so many other things out there.

Cost wise, you can replace the drive with an Amiga floppy drive and be fine however the cost involved in that is in line with purchasing a floppy emulator such as a generic Gotek drive with hXc or Flash Floppy flashed over Gotek's original firmware.

Take my words as gold.
By saltmcgault Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:07 pm
richie wrote:In my experience FF80 is related to drive physically malfunctioning in some area.

- Dirty read write heads
- Stuck / dying motor.
- Other forms of internal debris.
- A cracked floppy ribbon cable.

You can google "FF80" to even "Cleaning floppy disk drive" to so many other things out there.

Cost wise, you can replace the drive with an Amiga floppy drive and be fine however the cost involved in that is in line with purchasing a floppy emulator such as a generic Gotek drive with hXc or Flash Floppy flashed over Gotek's original firmware.

Take my words as gold.

There you go.. I fixed it for you.