Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Mikano Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:27 pm
Hi, I recently bought the MPC3000 on an auction on ebay, and had it sent over in Georgia (Europe). Long story short, i accidentally plugged the unit into 220v instead of the recommended 110v :) i changed the fuses that were burnt, but now theres a horrible high pitch/feedback sound that comes out of the phones jack, which "doubles" when i turn on the display contrast. Does anyone know how i can fix this?
By brodel34 Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:58 pm
what do you mean exactly by "now there is a horrible high pitch sound"

I'm just trying to understand is all. Was it the first time you laid your ears to it, the sound was there? Or did you have an experience with this machine that made you believe the high pitch noise is specifically coming from something you did relating to the power?

I say that to say this....
Does it have an installed zip drive or something like that? Installed zip drives are known to cause a hum in feedback... but its only in the headphone jack, not in the outs. I talk about it in this article in the FAQ... https://audiojive.com/akai-mpc-3000/
By Mikano Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:35 pm
brodel34 wrote:what do you mean exactly by "now there is a horrible high pitch sound"

I'm just trying to understand is all. Was it the first time you laid your ears to it, the sound was there? Or did you have an experience with this machine that made you believe the high pitch noise is specifically coming from something you did relating to the power?

I say that to say this....
Does it have an installed zip drive or something like that? Installed zip drives are known to cause a hum in feedback... but its only in the headphone jack, not in the outs. I talk about it in this article in the FAQ... https://audiojive.com/akai-mpc-3000/

I have no idea if it was sold to me in this condition or if i **** something up when sticking it in 220v. The second i recieved the machine i plugged it in and zooooom. Powered up, and powered down. It has a SD card reader and valixi os 3.5 i believe. The noise comes only from the phones jack and is unbearable. I read on a forum here that this could be due to a wire from the display coming in contact with another wire?
By Mikano Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm
d@vetech wrote:Is it possible that the HP/feedback sound was there before the power Accident?

I wouldnt doubt it, i bought the unit for pretty cheap))
By d@vetech Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:20 pm
Make sure the SD/CF drive is secure and tight . All of the screws should be secure, top and bottom ones.
I just had this happen yesterday as well as a few week ago. First, the floppy drive was missing 1 screw and someone had put a lock washer under the drive to wedge it a bit. The noise was intermittent. As soon as I traces it back to the floppy, I made the change and the high pitch was gone. Fast forward a few weeks, I upgraded to the SD drive. I secure all screws and didn't have an issue until yesterday. I was under the hood making more modifications and when I powered up , the high pitch was present again. I tighten one of the top screws of the SD drive again and the high pitch noise went away. I am guessing that the screws need some loctite threadlocker. There was not any reason to work itself loose. Anyway, check the drive screws.
I will be doing more mods , upgrades and repairs as the days turn.
By C.DonDadda Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:33 pm
This is how I fixed a similar issue on mine, scsi2sd reader was causing ground noise/Feedback.

Attached a wire (the black wire) from the molex connector to a grounding screw (any screw that attaches to the chassi).

The wire is connected to the third pin on the molex connector goin left to right looking into the connector.

Hope this helps. I had a very similar issue when I installed the scsi2sd board. I suppose you could attach the wire to the copper screws on the scsi2sd board instead of the molex connector if that makes it easier for you.