Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By KlassycZ Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:18 am
hello everybody,

As many know the mpc3000, and the 60 also have a compression function.
The less obvious thing is that you can compress the same file several times. I try to explain.
If you play a vinyl turntable with an ultra pitch (+50, -50) by sampling at -50 ( a very slow vinyl rotation speed), I can compress the file 3 times.
When you compress a sample, it goes from 0 to -120. Reset it and recompress it, and so on.
If we do it more than 3 times the mpc will not lower the tone of the sample more (we can always increase it).

I wish you a good day.
By peterpiper Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:07 pm
Compression? You don't talk about audio compression right (that wouldn't make sense.
Then there is filesize compression. That could be done by reducing the samplerate which effect the tone of a sample (sample will get dull like is would've been filtered with a LowPass Filter) but not the pitch, or does it?
By NearTao Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:32 pm
I believe what is being referenced is the feature to reduce the sample rate. I know on the S950 you can do this sample rate reduction several times to reduce the amount of memory, but it does also reduce the quality of the sample. You are correct that this operation (at least on the S950) does not change the pitch of the sample even though it does reduce the sample rate.
By peterpiper Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:50 am
ENOUGH ALREADY! :)

I will try tomorrow on the 950 if there is any change when lowering the samplerate. Only thing I can imagine (but don't think thats the case with any fully fledged sampler) is that the pitch range might change (decrease) so you won't be able to use all note numbers/keys/pitch however you wanna call it
Something like in the MPC2000 when you set the TUNE in the trim->PARAMS menu to -120 you still can set the TUNE of the pad in the program to -240 but that won't give you -360 cause the machine can only pitch +/-240 in general.
That shows the difference in the audio engine between MPC and rack samplers and that would be a question I would ask Mr Linn: Why did he/they come up with a different audio engine from the already released s900?
That would've made it possible to connect a MIDI keyboard to the MPCs and play a sample just like in the s900. Instead users have to deal with the crippled version of it (16LEVEL). I never understand why this feature is loved by so many users..... uh oh, I hear them commin after me :)

peace
By peterpiper Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:00 pm
NearTao wrote:
peterpiper wrote:ENOUGH ALREADY! :)

???

The message you get when the 950 don't want to reduce the samplerate any futher :)
Sorry for confusing you. I thought you have a 950 and know this funny message.