Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Beat1 Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:07 pm
I just updated my MPC3000 with a scsi SD card reader and Vailixi 3.50. After that, I been having problems saving sounds, I get checksum or allocation error while data [error code:FF10].
1) I sample sounds into the MPC, then try to save it, I get [error code:FF10]
2) I use RX-16x, to transfer samples to the MPC. When try to save [error code:FF10]

Why am I getting error messages doing a basic function?
By Telefunky Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:14 am
The SCSI bus is a fairly sensitive (and sometimes bizarre) kind of connection.
It needs proper termination on both ends and no termination of devices between the endpoints.

If you only connect the SD card reader, your bus is just endpoints: the MPC and the reader.
With an external CD drive connected, the CD becomes the bus endpoint (termination on), while the card reader (in the middle) should have it’s termination off.
But I assume the card reader (as a „modern“ device) handles termination automatically.

Some external drives/devices may do the same, but it‘s not a standard.
Often you have to do it manually by a switch/jumper, so check your docs regarding termination.

If you get errors permanently on every attempt, termination is the most likely culprit.
Occasional errors may be related to the flash medium itself.
Not all are created equal and there‘s a huge bandwidth in quality (memory and on chip controller).
By Beat1 Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:32 am
What up Telefunky, thanks for your response. I’m not getting errors in every situation, only when I save my work. What can I do to correct this issue? “switch/jumper, so check your docs regarding termination.” How do switch/ jumpers?
I also use the RS-16x to convert waves to PGM files , to use in my MPC3000, but some of the sounds are distorted when I load PGM file.
Do you know a good converter app that don’t have this side effect.
By Telefunky Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:37 pm
I don‘t have a MPC3000 myself, above I just mentioned some SCSI basics and termination is an important part of the specs.
It‘s essential that you understand termination, because wrong handling has the potential to fry parts of the controllers (MPC, card reader, external devices).
You should also have an idea about what the SCSI device ID means. Wrong device IDs don‘t damage anything, but make the system unusable.
(it‘s not that hard... just some reading applies) :mrgreen:

How do you transfer RS16 data ?
Regarding your original problem, look up „MPC3000 FF10“ in a search engine and you‘ll find a lot of cases. It seems to be rather SD card sensitive and small cards may be hard to find today. To make things worse, some SD cards are plain crap, made from recovered chips from cellphones etc.
So better buy some brand with reputation, but check posts from the past about advisable size and formatting.
By Telefunky Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:14 pm
Obviously you can load program and samples from the SD card, so basic read seems ok.
If only some sounds are distorted it may relate to RS16 not recognizing the source properly. There are a lot of variations of the .wav format (different internal sections, headers corrupt/missing etc).
But saving to (the same ?) SD card always fails with that disk error FF10... :hmmm:
Sorry, no clues atm