Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By A pair of Glasses Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:31 am
Hi There,
So recently my 60mk1 started to crackle its audio input, while playing audio at its input it sounded terrible distorted. did some test but the distortion was everywhere unfortunately.
needed to open it up and check if there was a problem. nothing to see on the eye, but the first measurement done was giving me a +15v and a -4v over the different opamps in the circuit.
tracing back this powerlines leaded me to 2x an small coil at the entrance of the audio pcb, infront of these coils the measurement was +15v & -15v but after the negative supply lost a lot in this coil. pulled this coil out and the resistance was way to high for an coil. just in case put 2x a new coil in (220H) and solved the problem.
Sampling is back to perfect :-)

Sharing if it can be in use for someone in the future.
Greets
Danny
By manufracture Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:24 am
This is exactly what I experienced last weekend.
I took my 808 and 909 to a friends house who owns an mpc 60 for sampling - he had never used it for that until now.
Once we got going there was a fair bit of interference, crackles and pops. We changed cables etc wiggled jacks etc.

The recording input in was set to the middle level but it was very very hot going in.
Some sounds I had barely any volume off the sources and was distorting a bunch.
It sounded amazing btw but also wasn’t sure if it was meant to sound like it as never used the 60 before.

Does this sound similar to what you experienced?
By NearTao Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:23 pm
Definitely sounds like a hardware problem that you *probably* want to get fixed.

Nothing wrong with it if you like it that way though... some people dig the super unique "busted" sounds of older gear and basically use it as a unique effect. Personally I'd rather have it working properly though, so might be worth doing (or finding somebody who can) some maintenance.
By manufracture Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:43 pm
Thanks for clarifying.
Yes my friend was certainly getting some very vibey sounds out of it that sounded great.
Unfortunately he is super unwell right now and now back in the hospital so don’t imagine this will be a top priority for him. I would love to get it looked at for him but things are tricky.
By A pair of Glasses Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:46 pm
Hi there,
It’s unfortunate always tricky to say “oh it’s the same issue”
If you need to know if the sampler is doing it’s thing still properly, one of the easiest test is to feed it with a sine wave. Send it from your daw to the samplers input (around 1khz normal volume level) and switch the monitoring on on the sampler, feed the sampler L&R audio back to your daw and create a channel with an analizer on it to get the audio visible as well, and throw this channels audio over your speakers. If done correct and your sampler is working correctly, u should hear the 1khz sine wave perfectly over your speakers. You can sample the input as well and check the recorded sample, it’s playback should (roughly) match your input signal.

Is any issues occur, it all depends on your skills to troubleshoot, or seek help with a trusted repair centre.

Yours
Danny