Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By KoolSha178 Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:07 am
I 'm currently editing and recording my samples on the mac since I learned how to do it, I even program my own sounds from Reason and bounce em as wav, but for sound and sequencing the MPC cant be beat, the problem is I cant get em on my MPC3000.... =(

I'm running the mpc editor from the Japanese guy on OSX and it works like gravy, but once I put my MPC3000 formatted disk in my external zip hooked up to the mac everything goes sour....whats the deal??? It wont even acknowledge the disk....

Any suggestions???
By homershines Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:57 pm
I feel ya. I have a MPC 3000 too. I am a Digidesign Sound Tools/Pro Tools user from way back. I loved to use Alchemy as my sampler hub. Today that's all but gone. So, I use MPCPGMMaker also. I like the program too. I think it can also transfer MPC2000 sounds into 3000 sounds. I wonder if it can convert the programs too. It would be incredible if you could do a little sample slicing, eq as well as compression. You know, VST plug in access. I'll tune dude up with that suggestion soon.

Anyway, I've found that you can't move the disks from the Mac to the computer more than a couple of times without the MPC recognizing the disk.
There is something old school DOS-like happening in the resource area. It's explained at the MPC3000.com website. If I could find someone who knew how to use ResEdit easily, they could probably help us and we could use a workaround.

In the meantime, here's a few suggestions that I'm trying:

-Label your main disks with your songs and sounds as Sequence & Program disks.
-Label the transfer disks as transfer disks.
-Don't put your Sequence & Program disks with your songs into the computer!!!
-Only use these transfer disks for moving files from the computer.
-Transfer all of the MPC3000 disk sounds and programs into the computer as a central library. (That way your erased disk is not a problem.)
-Transfer the sounds by loading up in the MPC, each program from the Sequence & Program disks, one at a time if necessary. Then take it out of the zip drive and put in the transfer disk. Then save the sounds and programs to the transfer disk.
-Have quite a few of these MPC pre-formatted zip transfer disks on the ready.
-Reformat a zip when it won't be read by the MPC.
-In the computer, don't save the MPCPGMMaker created MPC programs to zip disk. Have the program save the new MPC programs somewhere on your hard drive first. I suggest a MPC3000 Folder with your whole library. Then copy the files to the zip. Make sure you don't include the folder. Just the sounds and programs.

I think that's it. It works. It's slow and can be a pain, but it surely gets around the problem of using your Mac and your MPC3000 together.

peace.

homershines
p.s if you got problems email me.

By KoolSha178 Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:50 pm
Word. Thanks for the tips, I actually already abide by all those rules. =)

So I guess what your saying is that my transfer disk should be MAC or PC formatted not MPC???

by the way try out Spark XL to edit your samples, it allows VST plugs on 9 and waves shell/audio units on OSX, its butta.
By homershines Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:14 pm
<<So I guess what your saying is that my transfer disk should be MAC or PC formatted not MPC??? >>

No. I'm not suggesting that. I think your transfer disk should be formatted in the MPC as well. It or maybe I should say,"they" [for safety's sake] will probably need to be reformatted often. So, don't use it to store anything. Use it as a temporary site and dump the sounds/programs either onto the computer's and/or the MPC's disks

<<by the way try out Spark XL to edit your samples, it allows VST plugs on 9 and waves shell/audio units on OSX, its butta.>>

I like Spark XL too. But lately, I've been using DSP Quattro. It's a program ythat looks and feels very similar to Spark. It's under the same corporate umbrella. It has VST fx and some internals also. It used to be called DSound Pro. And it onlky costs like $65.00. Check it out at:

http://www.i3net.it/Products/dspQuattro ... anguage=EN

Also, have you checked out some of the crazy fx available for the ohmforce folks??? Nice stuff. www.ohmforce.com

Peace.

Homershines