Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Humblestar1 Mon May 23, 2005 8:22 pm
Sup fam?

Well....I just found this site & thought i'd share it with y'all.

http://www.masterbits.de/exp_e.htm#EXP

They have a myriad of upgrades for various Akai Products.

I've made contact with them & they have boards in stock so any one on my side of the great pond can now get hold of a board quite easily & at a reasonable price.

£70GBP which works out to $126USD including ups 5 day delivery.

H* :wink:

By elmacaco Mon May 23, 2005 9:13 pm
Hey Humble, guess what? That link is in the first Post of the FAQ!!!

I didn't recognize it until I saw the link, but when I started the post I did a bunch of searching and it was one of the places I found.

yall need to read that FAQ!!! ;)

By Humblestar1 Mon May 23, 2005 10:02 pm
***** D'OOHHHHHH'*****

:roll:
By elmacaco Wed May 25, 2005 2:16 am
Interesting note, there are two shift timing screens, one is in the timing correct screen where the highest amount you can shift is determined by the Timing correct setting you have, and the shift timing screen that is in Edit > 8 in which 999 ticks is the highest amount you can use. 96 ticks is one quarter note.

In the Timing Correct screen, a quantize setting besides off is needed to use the shift amount function on that screen, the higher the quantize setting, the smaller the amount allowed on that screen. Also, on 1/8 and 1/16, the swing amount also changes the upper limit allowed, the higher the percentage the lower the limit.

The limits are explained in the 3.10 manual:

COMMENT: It is not possible for this function to shift the timing of notes without also correcting their timing. This also means that the range of shift depends on the current Note value field’s setting. For example, if the Note value field is set to 1/16-notes, the maximum shift amount is 11 ticks, or slightly less than 1/2 of one 1/16-note; if the Note value field is set to 1/32 notes, the maximum shift amount is 5 ticks, or slightly less than 1/2 of one 1/32 note; and if the Note Value field is set to OFF(1/384), the Shift amount is fixed at 0, meaning that no shift is possible since timing correction is not being used. If you wish to shift the timing of a track independently of the timing correction function, use the Shift Timing function, accessed by pressing the EDIT key. "

By peezie Sun May 29, 2005 7:24 am
this takes up some pads, but you can assign empty pads to turn off 2 sounds at a time and you dont have to rely on other pads to cut the sound off. it works well for long sounds and when youre piecing many samples together

drumat!c wrote:damn man - someone needs to ask linn to give us a revised update to the 3.10 os - I really wish we could cut off more than 2 drum pads.....wouldn't it be nice to have 4....I was thinking about a global cut off or a sub group cut off but that might make things difficult......maybe it's not even necessary as all one might need to do is copy the drum sound to another pad of which they wish to be cut off by 2 additional pads.....hmmm now i'm confused....wait no i'm not. ok nevermind.

DRUMZ.1

By pieuvre Sun May 29, 2005 9:09 am
a simple solution to make formatting faster : an old windows 98 PC ( ms dos formatting / 720 ko option . ) + good back up if you use old unreliable floppies like i do ( you create folders on your pc and then just drag and drop files from your 60's floppies ) .

By peezie Sun May 29, 2005 10:08 am
floppies are more reliable than the zips!

By elmacaco Sun May 29, 2005 3:25 pm
I haven't found that to be the case, but interesting.

By pieuvre Sun May 29, 2005 7:56 pm
I found a floppy drive that works with the 60 ( os 3.10 ) :
Sony model MPF520-1
jumper must be set ( when you look at it connectors on top ) on the first two pins from left
this one was on an old pc computer ( circa 1996 ).

By peezie Sun May 29, 2005 9:08 pm
i ordered yet another zip drive. we'll see how long this'll last. ive had good results with floppies, just that i cant save much in it

elmacaco wrote:I haven't found that to be the case, but interesting.

By redgreenz Tue May 31, 2005 4:47 pm
peezie wrote:floppies are more reliable than the zips!

I don't know about that peezie. Floppies tend to wear out after a while, especially if your constantly saving, erasing, and formatting them. They also tend to stick from time to time. I had some floppies that I used to use when I had my 60, that crapped out on me. Turns out that the housing had gotten squished and the disk inside wouldn't spin. I haven't had one issue since I started using ZIP disks/drives. My shyt loads and saves pretty fast, and works like a charm everytime!!!!

The only thing I'd use instead of a zip drive, would be an internal card reader, with an external zip drive as a backup. just my 2cents

peace

By butcher Tue May 31, 2005 5:01 pm
redgreenz wrote:

I don't know about that peezie. Floppies tend to wear out after a while, especially if your constantly saving, erasing, and formatting them. They also tend to stick from time to time. I had some floppies that I used to use when I had my 60, that crapped out on me. Turns out that the housing had gotten squished and the disk inside wouldn't spin. I haven't had one issue since I started using ZIP disks/drives. My shyt loads and saves pretty fast, and works like a charm everytime!!!!

The only thing I'd use instead of a zip drive, would be an internal card reader, with an external zip drive as a backup. just my 2cents

peace

i agree... i had quite a few problems with disk read errors when trying to load up old beats in my asr10...floppy disks are way to fragile and saying they are more reliable than zip is crazy..
By elmacaco Tue May 31, 2005 6:46 pm
there are 96 ticks per quarter note on the 60's sequencer clock, so when you shift timing, it is good to know that one bar is 384 and a sixteenth note is 24, etc. Someone posted this here a while ago, forgot who it was, but props. WIth this and a calculator, the stuff you can do is crazy.

96 PPQN

Whole 384 Dotted Whole 576 Whole Triplet 256
Half 192 Dotted Half 288 Half Triplet 128
Quarter 96 Dotted Quarter 144 Quarter Triplet 64
Eighth 48 Dotted Eighth 72 Eighth Triplet 32
16th 24 Dotted 16th 36 16th Triplet 16
32nd 12 Dotted 32nd 18 32nd Triplet 8
64th 6 Dotted 64th 9 64th Triplet 4
128th 3 Dotted 128th -- 128th Triplet 2

By peezie Tue May 31, 2005 10:49 pm
excuse my ignorance. floppies are only temporary. its jsut that my old zip drives were so unreliable, i have nighmares about clicks of death! i located a new in box zip drive which should give me more confidence

redgreenz wrote:

I don't know about that peezie. Floppies tend to wear out after a while,

By elmacaco Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:57 am
I find that the older and newer scsi zip drives are more reliable, they seemed to have had a bad run somewhere in the middle.

maybe that click of death site has info on serial numbers.