Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By thamessage Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:49 am
anybody have/use the ib105 board on the 950? ever tried to sample via digital ins? how does it sound? is it punchy like the normal analog sampling but clearer? or does it sound just like the source when coming out of the 950?

i heard mentioned somewjere that the s95o (and mpc60) are 12 bit converters but use 16 bit processing. i'm not sure if i know what that means for the sound or even if i'm remembering this correctly but if you know could you school me?

also, has anyone EVER tried to use a Atari hard drive with the 950/ib105. i know u can still find them on the net but not sure if they would work or if there are different versions of the atari drive..

please if yuov'e got info about these things please let me know as the knowledge on these things is very limited (i've searched!)

(reason i ask all this is that i have possibility of buying a 950 w ib105) sorry if this is a lil ot in the 60/3000 forum but i know theres alot of 950 users here.

thx all. uno,,,

By partyboy Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:03 am
Hi ...yes ...sampled with the digital in...and ..yes....its clear..of course.

....after sampling ,,,,,the kick puched me to hell..

BUT

THAT is because,,,,,,the analog outputs of my 3K Model are
MADE BY ROGER LINN AND AKAI.JAPAN !!!

Thats the Thing Man. The AD/DA CONVERTERS build into these machines are increddible ....not the Digital input..!
i think ..these are the same MPC "DA Converter" like in your 950.

So...where is the Problem `? The 950 has no ANALOG IN ? Or why is it so important to you to sample via S/pdf ?

And donĀ“t forget to make Music ... =))

PARTYBOOY
[/b]

By Deta!L Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:22 am
hmmm, maybe I'll do a comparison

By thamessage Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:48 am
partyboy wrote:So...where is the Problem `? The 950 has no ANALOG IN ? Or why is it so important to you to sample via S/pdf ?
[/b]

yes the the 950 has analog in and it sounds great-what i'm wondering is how samples through the digital ins sound--do they have any of the "character" of the analog.

basically what this question comes down to is:
at what conversion stage does the sound get so nice (punchy,snappy,etc) in the 950-- a/d or d/a? if it's d/a then inputting digital would maintain this character while being clearer. if its a/d then inputting analog would be the only way to go. or it could be both in which case analog would be the way to go. u could determine this by just comparing the output of the 950 with 2 samples-one digitallt sampled and one analog.

By Deta!L Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:30 am

here's mine

By thamessage Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:43 am
deta!l that would be cool if you (or anyone else w/ digi in) did a comparison. u have ib-105?

By Deta!L Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:47 am
yeah, I'm real lazy to do something like that but I might do it

By fobedafied Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:36 am
Deta!L wrote:Image

here's mine

hows that fireface workin for ya? what software are you using with it? was thinkin of coppin one of those, but would like to hear from someone that has one...

ive got a 900 with ib-105 installed, havent tried it...

the HDs from atari that works with the IB-105 are:
SH204, SH205, and one called a Supra... all are ATARI PART NUMBERS!

By thamessage Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:32 pm
[/quote]
the HDs from atari that works with the IB-105 are:
SH204, SH205, and one called a Supra... all are ATARI PART NUMBERS![/quote]

thx 4 the info.
By Leslie White Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:30 pm
I have extensive experience with sampling into the digital input. It gives an extreme punch that I don't get with the analog inputs. It gives a very tight and punchy compression to drums and its freaking incredible. I use it all the time! It's my secret weapon. I make old school boom bap hiphop and Westcoast g-funk
By richie Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:40 pm
Leslie White wrote:I have extensive experience with sampling into the digital input. It gives an extreme punch that I don't get with the analog inputs. It gives a very tight and punchy compression to drums and its freaking incredible. I use it all the time! It's my secret weapon. I make old school boom bap hiphop and Westcoast g-funk

There is literally no conversion being done, so not sure what you're talking about it being punchier.

By that logic, copying and converting a genetic wav file to a gotek drive and loading it on the s950 would accomplish the same thing without the need of the IB-105.
By Leslie White Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:44 am
Where was I talking about conversion? However, before you sample, the s950 asks you the input level. You have 3 options. If you choose the loudest option, i definitely applies some kind of compression which makes the sample extremely punchy. Much better than the analog input. I was always surprised why nobody is talking about this. It's my secret weapon for punchy hiphop drums.

Again, I have extensive experience in using the digital input for sampling into the s950. I know what I'm talking about. Apparently nobody tried this method, that's why I'm sharing this valuable info with you guys.

The analog input is great for overdrive, color and punch. The digital input in comparison, has less color, lessnor no overdrive (depending on how loud the source sample is), but it has an extreme punch which can transform every drumloop/breakbeat sample into extreme punch. I can't really describe the effect it's some kind of magical compression. You have to try it out I use it all the time for drums. I only use the analog input if I want that colored overdriven sound, but it can't compare with the amazing punch from the digital input.

Don't believe me, try it out and thank me later. Cheers!