Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Naked Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:21 pm
How's it goin' everybody? I'm a little new to this board and I was just wondering what the main difference were between the mpc 60 and the 60II. Which one is better all around? Thanks, peace.

By schedge ii Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:34 am
as far as i know, it's a different casing and a headphone jack. With version 3.10, they're practically the same machine. I was also told that with the 60II, you could take stereo samples but, I'm not sure.
I own a regular 60 with the 3.10 upgrade and SCSI. the headphone jack would be cool but, personally I think the reglar 60 looks alot cooler. I also have a 2000xl and the 60II reminds me of that.
there may be a couple of other things but those are the main differences.
hope this helps some.-peacedDM

By schedge ii Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:35 am
as far as the stereo sampling, you can do that with a regular 60 if it has the 3.10 upgrade.

By Naked Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:28 am
Thanks for the info, I personally like the look of the 60 better as well. So, there's no performance difference? That was my main concern. Thanks, peace.

By schedge ii Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:38 am
not as far as I know. Besides the headphone jack and the casing, I don't know of any differences. I'm not sure if the 60II has a stereo input or not. As far as the regular 60, there is no stereo input but, with version 3.10, you can take stereo samples. What you would do is you would take the same sample from both the left and right channel and, the 60 would paste it together. you can also check I believe it's www.vintagesynth.com and/or www.rlinndesign.com and read the info on the mpc60/II. it's pretty much all external. I do know for a fact that with the 3.10 upgrade, they're identical. They will run more/less like an mpc 3000, with 12-bit sound, limited sample times and a few other differences that the roger linn site will explain.
If you do get a 60/II, I would really advise you to get one with the upgrade or get the upgrade after you have gotten it. the SCSI upgrade will do you some good too, so you son't have to save to a floppy. You should be able to find one with those upgrades for a reasonable price, if you wait around lng enough. After I had the $$$, I was looking at them for nearly 6 months before I actually put the loot down for it. It came with all the upgrades, and in practially mint condition for less than $900.00. So, be patient.-peacedDM

By Naked Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:13 am
thanks again, you've been a lotta help. peace.

By elmacaco Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:23 pm
the 60II came with fully expanded memory, whereas on the 60 you had to upgrade it. Most 60's will probably have full memory, All 60II will have the full memory (unless someone took it out).

I rock a 60, and I wouldn't want a II

By schedge ii Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:17 am
i second that.
YO, man, I don't know if you read my SCSI post. If so, do you have any advice? Also, I wanted to ask you something else. I have my 2000xl running to my 60, as you know. Well, the 2000xl has 4 banks whereas the 60 only has 2. So, does that mean tha I can only run 2 banks of sounds from my 2000xl or anything else for that manner? I remember you telling me that in order to trigger my 2000xl and my a3000, I would have to change the channel to synth1 and synth1b etc., but for each device, can I only use 2 banks worth of data?

By elmacaco Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:17 am
if your 60 only has 2 banks, there's your scsi problem.

Just hit the bank 2 button twice and you'll be in bank 3. the lidht will stay lit until you get back to bank 1 if you have OS 3.1.

No idea on the scsi, I don't have it, just 3.1