Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
Byrodemannetje Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:14 pm
I recently succeeded in attaching my scsi zip to my mpc3000. Also attaching a scsi cd rom worked (after i red somewhere that i first had to put in a akai cdrom before attaching the scsi cdrom to the mpc3000).

Now i am trying to attach a scsi harddisk (1 gb) to the mpc. However, whatever i try (termination yes or no, scsi id changing at external unit, 2 different units, scsi id auto and manual at mpc) the mpc3000 does not see the harddisk. The disk itself is okay.
Then i decided to format it with my pc (partition magic under winxp) to "fat". Same problem.
Then i tried to connect another scsi harddisk in another external unit to my mpc: same problem.
Then i placed the harddisk "after" the zip: same problem.

If the mpc3000 does only see a harddisk after it has been formatted the way the mpc does, i have a problem (the mpc does not see the harddisk, so i can't format it). Is there a way to format the harddisk at my pc the same as the mpc does, or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Cheers, Joost

By mpc3000 Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:36 am
"the mpc3000 does only see a harddisk after it has been formatted the way the mpc does"

And this is the way it was designed to be.

"Is there a way to format the harddisk at my pc the same as the mpc does"

No.

Byrodemannetje Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:31 pm
Okay, but what is the solution? If the mpc does not "see" the scsi harddisk, i can not format it. So the question is: what am i doing wrong?

By homershines Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:32 am
MPC3000 knows a whole lot more about this than I do, but are you sure that the addrsses are unique? I'd also try disconnecting your set-up and putting the hard drive first along with the CD Rom drive. Then format it. Make sure you turn off everything first!!! This will let you knwo if something is wrong with the Hard drive or not. Then try various combinations and terminations to see which one works for you. Sounds like a pain, and it is. SCSI is/was a pain.

Peace.

homershines

for phat drum sounds & samples
contact me at [email protected]-o-m

By mpc3000 Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:52 am
Have you tried formatting the hard disk with the MPC? This is the only way the drive can be used with the MPC. Instructions are in the manual.

Byrodemannetje Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:04 pm
I finally found it. It turned out that some very small, hidden jumpers on the harddisk were not set correct. After a lot of trial and error, it now works. Thanks guys for all the help!