Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By 9lifes Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:41 pm
I have tried to get my scsi to work on 3 zip drives, and a harddrive. My MPC 60 wont recognize any of them, ive tried different cables connecting.

It does search for scsi at startup
I do have option 3 ad 4 under disk menu option 8

I did try to format zip/hd first but it wont recognize anything to format (error FF48)
I have termination on (I have tried on and off)
I have tried both connections from the back of the zip
I have tried both 5 and 6 scsi ID ( I have tried them all)

The ZIP and HD are working without any problems on my emu e6400 ultra and Powermac

ZIP and HD are plugged in and powered up before startup.

Is it possible the termination fuse has blown?

Help is needed !!!
By mpc3000le Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:33 pm
9lifes wrote:I did try to format zip/hd first but it wont recognize anything to format (error FF48)

Error FF48 =

No SCSI device was found. Make sure the
SCSI device is connected, power is on
and "AUTO" or the correct SCSI address
is entered in the "SCSI Status" screen.

Try setting the FORMAT UNIT ID "in the MPC60" rather than leaving it on AUTO as a last thing to check.

9lifes wrote:Is it possible the termination fuse has blown?

Possibly. Or one of the SCSI board ribbon cables is not seated correctly.

Rohan.
By 9lifes Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:48 am
Thanks Rohan for your quick reply.

Try setting the FORMAT UNIT ID "in the MPC60" rather than leaving it on AUTO as a last thing to check.

Did this and still no SCSI device found. All the cables of the SCSI board are seated correctly.

Altough the blue wire of the IDC26 - DB25F cable has been cut. Don't know of this is standard. It's a Rev 1.2 SCSI board. I have seen pictures of a rev 1.4 board and this has a different cable (same type though).

Which one is the fuse ? The diode ?
By mpc3000le Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:58 pm
9lifes wrote:Altough the blue wire of the IDC26 - DB25F cable has been cut. Don't know of this is standard. It's a Rev 1.2 SCSI board. I have seen pictures of a rev 1.4 board and this has a different cable (same type though).
Which one is the fuse ? The diode ?

Some times wires get cut as a matter of course. Without knowing what line on the SCSI bus the blue wire is connected too then I wouldn't worry too much about it for the moment.

A diode is a diode.

A fuse is a fuse.

The SCSI FUSE on AKAI samplers, MPC60 as well; is a component type fuse rater than your regular glass/wire combination.

On the circuit board the part location designation will in most cases be prefixed with an "F" ...

Usual part prefix designations:

R for resistor.
Q for transistor.
C for capacitor.
D or in some cases Z for diodes.
F for fuse.

Rohan.

By 9lifes Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:03 am
Because the MPC60 wasn't disigned with SCSI (not even as an option) it would be logic that there is no termination fuse on the main board etc. (??)

Therefore it must be on the Marion Board. Only thing I can see, is a diode (X40 in4.00) and 3 yellow bulbs (+6?s +35v).

I think the good old floppy is here to stay.

By mpc3000le Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:45 pm
9lifes wrote:Because the MPC60 wasn't disigned with SCSI (not even as an option) it would be logic that there is no termination fuse on the main board etc. (??)

Therefore it must be on the Marion Board. Only thing I can see, is a diode (X40 in4.00) and 3 yellow bulbs (+6?s +35v).

I think the good old floppy is here to stay.

SCSI as an option for the MPC60 came about before Roger Linn Design's 3.XX version software.

SCSI appeared as a standard fitting ( or optional in some sales territories ) around the time of OS 2.14. ( 2.14 being the only non Roger Linn Design branded OS to support SCSI )

Any parts that will have failed of course are most likely to be on the MARION SCSI board.

After all. This represents 99% of the SCSI circuit.

Take a close up picture of your SCSI board, list it for us all to see and I will try an identify parts for you to check.

Otherwise, pull the board, send it back to Roger Linn Design/Marion and suffer the natural muse of turn around repair time issues.

Rohan.

By 9lifes Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:03 pm
Rohan thanks for your time and effort.

I will send it to a qualified technician.
By Huggie Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:53 am
9lifes wrote:I have tried to get my scsi to work on 3 zip drives, and a harddrive. My MPC 60 wont recognize any of them, ive tried different cables connecting.

It does search for scsi at startup
I do have option 3 ad 4 under disk menu option 8

I did try to format zip/hd first but it wont recognize anything to format (error FF48)
I have termination on (I have tried on and off)
I have tried both connections from the back of the zip
I have tried both 5 and 6 scsi ID ( I have tried them all)

The ZIP and HD are working without any problems on my emu e6400 ultra and Powermac

ZIP and HD are plugged in and powered up before startup.

Is it possible the termination fuse has blown?

Help is needed !!!

Hey 9lifes

I'm having the exact same problem... Did you sort it out in the end?

Hugo

By wazzlez Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:43 pm
I'm having a similar issue. I can get to the screen to partition and format the drive, but it hangs up there forever, no error message or anything. Can anyone shed some light on how they configured their SCSI hard drives?
By mrgib Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:21 am
hi, i'm having the same FF48 issue, does anyone manage to fix it?
help needed, 9lifes? thx
gib

By 7 1 4 Beats Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:34 am
Always remember to turn the SCSI Zip On and then turn the Sampler On and turn the Sampler Off first then the SCSI Zip OFF.

By mrgib Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:43 am
ths for the quick answer.
that's what i allways do. when i turn the mp on, the zip drive reacts, both the disk light on mp and yellow light on the zip 100 drive quickly turn on and off at the same time. the mp looks for an scsi device during 30 sec then move to the main menu.
then, i've tried many time to format or load a zip and i allways have this ff48 error message : non scsi device connected....and son on. everything was fine until an hour ago when i turned the setup on. i tried to change the scsi termination and number. i also tried with another zip drive
any idea?

By 7 1 4 Beats Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:16 am
That sounds like you blew the fuse if the back of the Zip Drive in set to Termination ON & ID #6 and set the MPC to look for SCSI ID #6 it should work with no problems otherwise you have a blown scsi fuse and it's not a regular fuse that's glass.

By mrgib Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:40 am
ok, sounds bad for me....i'll look for another zip drive to make a last test. i'll keep you updated.
thx again for your messages.

By Raystar Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:46 am
7 1 4 Beats wrote:Always remember to turn the SCSI Zip On and then turn the Sampler On and turn the Sampler Off first then the SCSI Zip OFF.

Can anyone explain why this is necessary? I turn mine on and off whenever the need arises... I just get a sick of the noise that the zip produces even though after a while it seems to quiet down... I use a 250 zip with a 100 mg disk...