Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By mpcmanmpc Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:36 am
On all samples in my 60, there is a small pop or click at the end of the sample. sometimes u have to listen carefully to notice it other times its pretty loud--it changes in volume from hit to hit.

I don't think it's a matter of not being on a zero point crossing when editing the end of the waveform because i scroll through many different endpoints and still the same click.

using a decay envelope doesn't get rid of the click either.

does everybody else experience this? is there something that can be done?

MPC60, v.3.10e

By InslAllah Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:10 pm
Hi!!
MPC 60,ver.3.10,memory upgrade,no SCSI..
I have also this problem :cry: :cry: ,Sometimes when i sample some sound into mpc and i edit it,in the end of the sample is something like click or pop like you desribe it..i´m sure that this problem isn´t on a zero point crossing cause i sample from pc and samples are edited perfectly and here isn´t this click.. :idea: Also i´m sure that trouble isn´t in cables,wires or st.like that,that is 100 precent! :idea: Also i´m sure that trouble isn´t in rec in,cause with my mpc came 11 sample disks from bangin beats and when i load it into my mpc,someone of this samples has this pop and others hasn´t.I also discovered that someones has this click only when i have 16 levels off and when i strike da pad,sample plays silent and click play loud and when i strike pad harder and harder,sample pays louder and louder and click isn´t hear when is in max velocity and when i turn 16 levels on,this click vanish.. :idea: But some samples has this pop too when 16 levels are on but it is audible in max volume,when volume knob on mpc is in 3quarters of vol,this click isn´t hear!!

If someone have this problem too or have solution of this trouble,please writte it!I know that in this forum are people with very helpfull advices and skills!
I believe..Peace

By Screammisery Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:12 am
^ i got the same setup as you, and mines straight bro, only does it on bass with note off on.
By mpc3000le Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:37 am
mpcmanmpc wrote:does everybody else experience this? is there something that can be done? MPC60, v.3.10e

Doesn't happen on the MPC60MK2 my friend has.

Could be that the output stage needs re-calibrating.

This topic is convered in the MPC60 service manual.

Rohan.

By mpcmanmpc Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:14 pm
Thanks Rohan, I read the service manual and it seems like I will have to do an adjustment of the D/A offset. I skimmed over the service manual before and didn't realizie that D/A offset adjustment didn't require a test disk, unlike A/D offset adjustment.

I will report back with results...

By mpcmanmpc Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:19 am
Well I think it worked. I had to adjust the pots several times, with different sounds, but eventually I got to the point of no pops at the ends of sounds.

I think there is an error in the service manual; VR3 controls DC offset of stereo out L and VR5 controls mix out, not the other way around as the manual states.

Big thanks to you, Rohan, for mentioning that this was in the service manual, without your suggestion I would probably still be wondering what to do.

By mpc3000le Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:14 am
mpcmanmpc wrote:Well I think it worked. I had to adjust the pots several times, with different sounds, but eventually I got to the point of no pops at the ends of sounds..

Without a TEST disk, a ROM version that could boot a test disk and a SCOPE then a bit of trial and error would have been expected.

No pops and clicks after trial and error ? Good work.

mpcmanmpc wrote:I think there is an error in the service manual; VR3 controls DC offset of stereo out L and VR5 controls mix out, not the other way around as the manual states..

There may well be some "errors" in the MPC60 service manual.

I think I have seen other "errors" in it too.

Un-documented engineering changes I think they would be called.

The service manual was created around the time of their ADR-15 prototype.

The final production models could have been different, ever so slightly.

This kind of stuff happens. ( remembers Oberheim 8 service manual and pages of "Engineering Change Order" documentation ).

mpcmanmpc wrote:Big thanks to you, Rohan, for mentioning that this was in the service manual, without your suggestion I would probably still be wondering what to do.

Glad the suggestion worked out for you. ( and that you had the DIY skill to follow through with what I suggested )

Rohan.

By SimonInAustralia Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:56 am
Now you mention the ADR-15 prototype, any idea how many were made, if there are many still around, if it worked well, etc.?

Have you ever used one?

I saw that one on ebay a couple of years ago, any idea where that ended up?

By mpc3000le Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:38 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:Now you mention the ADR-15 prototype, any idea how many were made, if there are many still around, if it worked well, etc.??

Two types of ADR-15.

Type one that you have seen around the net was the MPC60MK1 prototype. ( the picture at http://www.mpc2000xl.com/adr15.htm supplied by Justin Bennitt )

Type two that appeared in an eBay auction a few years back was for the MPC60MK2 prototype.

I have no idea how many were made.

SimonInAustralia wrote:Have you ever used one?

No but they were around pre the first release of Akai branded software in the machines released as MPC60MK1/MPC60MK2.

I had an exchange some years back with a few folks "deep inside some certain circles" and they were pretty certain from their memory that the hardware was different enough as a prototype to maybe not end up working with software that was developed for the final production model.

The second issue of an ADR-15 ( MPC60MK2 looking ) might have been a little more matured than the first one.

SimonInAustralia wrote:I saw that one on ebay a couple of years ago, any idea where that ended up?

That was this old eBay auction in 2002:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =873675332

You wont find it on eBay any longer but maybe in some cache out there. ( hence me re-listing the full link )

Where did it end up ?

Who knows ?

Maybe the owner will drop by here one day ?

BTW: The MPC3000 had a prototype name too but it wasn't ADR-15 :-)

From "Synrise" ( and some other sources )

"MPC 80/pole spl exp - (1993)
The MPC 80 was introduced as a Stereosampling successor of the MPC 60 II as prototype and in form of the MPC 3000 into quantity production had probably finally gone. At least one prototype with the designation MPC 80 is well-known. "

Rohan.

By InslAllah Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:13 pm
Guys,thanx for your interrest!
Hey mpcmanmpc, must i have mpc60 service manual to banish this problem??And please could you tell me,where i be able to find this service manual?because i wasn´t succesfull,where i look for it in the internet..Please give me some advices about this problem,i´m very unhappy bcs.ii can´t work with this trouble on mpc. :cry: :cry:
Thanx alot!!!

By mpcmanmpc Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:39 pm
Service manual is available in the files section of the yahoo mpc60 usergroup. follow the instructions for adjusting the da output offset. it is not difficult, just open mpc up, locate the pots and adjust. take note of my correction of the manual earlier in this thread.

By SimonInAustralia Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:31 pm
Does anyone have the service disk?

Is there anyway to share it on the net?

By the average man Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:41 pm
mpc3000le wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:Now you mention the ADR-15 prototype, any idea how many were made, if there are many still around, if it worked well, etc.??

Two types of ADR-15.

Type one that you have seen around the net was the MPC60MK1 prototype. ( the picture at http://www.mpc2000xl.com/adr15.htm supplied by Justin Bennitt )

Type two that appeared in an eBay auction a few years back was for the MPC60MK2 prototype.

I have no idea how many were made.

SimonInAustralia wrote:Have you ever used one?

No but they were around pre the first release of Akai branded software in the machines released as MPC60MK1/MPC60MK2.

I had an exchange some years back with a few folks "deep inside some certain circles" and they were pretty certain from their memory that the hardware was different enough as a prototype to maybe not end up working with software that was developed for the final production model.

The second issue of an ADR-15 ( MPC60MK2 looking ) might have been a little more matured than the first one.

SimonInAustralia wrote:I saw that one on ebay a couple of years ago, any idea where that ended up?

That was this old eBay auction in 2002:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =873675332

You wont find it on eBay any longer but maybe in some cache out there. ( hence me re-listing the full link )

Where did it end up ?

Who knows ?

Maybe the owner will drop by here one day ?

BTW: The MPC3000 had a prototype name too but it wasn't ADR-15 :-)

From "Synrise" ( and some other sources )

"MPC 80/pole spl exp - (1993)
The MPC 80 was introduced as a Stereosampling successor of the MPC 60 II as prototype and in form of the MPC 3000 into quantity production had probably finally gone. At least one prototype with the designation MPC 80 is well-known. "

Rohan.

Damn Rohan thats some X-Files (remember those?) shit!

I've kept meaning to ask if anyone has pics of any of the MPC prototypes

By MPZ60 Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:43 pm
Wow, The HR 16 got more attention than the MPc Prototype! What a gem that HR 16 :) :wink:

By sequoia1232 Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:28 am
Hey Guys, I'm having the problem with my 60ii that the right side of the stereo output is much quieter than the left side, almost non-existent. I have the service manual, can I fix this with a re-calibration? Doesn't seem like the DAC pot would effect this? I thought I was gonna have to send it in before this thread. Thanks for the help!