Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By rhythmonster Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:02 am
I decided to post this up in here just cause I think more people that care will see it in here but mods can feel free to move this.

---

Okay, I got a SP12 bout a month ago and got tired of those stock sounds pretty and I got an easy way to replace them with your own custom sounds.

Note - 808 kicks will need filtered and certain bass notes need filtered. So, if your SP is filterless you might be limited on what you do but any normal SP will be in biz especially with a decent mixer.

All the new sounds will hit multi pitch and multi level just like anything else and if you replace every stock sound in the machine it's like getting 5 extra seconds of sample time.

Power users will probably make new banks for every few beats puttin fresh breaks in and samping the rest of thier sounds normally. Drum sample only cats who sequence the SP with and MPC or software probably don't need to read this.

Here we go...

You will need the following tools:

*EPROM programmer

*IC Puller or similar tool

*27256 EPROM(s)

*EPROM eraser is optional but I recomend it

First you’ll need to open up the SP-12, and remove the 4 chips labeled MS1, MS2, MS3
and MS4.

Now you’ll need to get familiar with your EPROM programmer and it’s software to set up your programmer to read the 27256 EPROMs. While you are saving them to your computer and labeling them be sure to match the checksums to verify that the files were read ok.

IP330 MS 1 IC09 - Checksum E918
IP331 MS 2 IC27 - Checksum E4F6
IP332 MS 3 IC10 - Checksum 91FD
IP333 MS 4 IC28 - Checksum 0850

Before you start opening up these files and replacing the sounds you will need to decide which sounds you want to replace and what you’re going to replace them with. For example, you don’t have to replace a cowbell with a cowbell but whatever you decide to replace it with should be very close to the same length. Below is a list of the sample EPROMs along with what’s on them and the individual sample’s approx length.

MS 1 - EL SNARE .390, RIM .120, COWBELL .120 and TOM .550

MS 2 - BD .140, EL TOM .380, HI HAT .490 and CLAP .140

MS 3 - RIDE .900 and SNARE .250

MS 4 - CRASH 1.170

After you decide which samples you’ll be using you will need to resample your custom sounds to 27,500 Hz and convert them to 8 Bits, in that order.

Then, using a standard audio editor such as Audacity or Sound Forge open or import the appropriate MS* file as…

RAW
UNSIGNED
MONO
8-BIT PCM
27500 Hz

Now, copy and paste your custom sounds to the MS* file OVERWRITING the stock sounds. When you're replacing the sounds be sure that you're overwriting to a space within the stock sound. It doesn't have to be the exact length of the stock sound but it can't be any larger. You'll also want to avoid the peaks at the end of files MS2, MS3 and MS4.

When you’re all done replacing sounds in the MS* file save it and change the extension to .bin so that your EPROM programmer will treat it as a binary file. Burn the chips and install them in your SP. Enjoy your free sampling time. PEACE

RHYTHMONSTER
Last edited by rhythmonster on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

By DJBlueDrink Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:13 am
Damn dude, that is real good to know. I was lookin for an sp1200 but ended up grabbin a 60(waitin for it to arrive) and ppl told me to grab an sp12 but I couldnt deal with the incredibly low sample time. I might just end up grabbin a 12 in the near future and doin that. Get the same sound, more sample time and save like 600 bux.
By dustedwax Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:34 pm
yo...an EPROM programmer costs about $300 and up...i mean, there's some pro's to doing this..but are there cheaper EPROM programmer alternatives?

By rhythmonster Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:33 am
Yeah, you can get a new willem programmer on ebay for like $30 and the eproms for a dollar a piece.
By richie Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:43 am
Make sure you clear the memory after installing the sound ROM chips. So go to setup then 23, then 15 to clear sound memory.

That reminds me, I have a brand new set of the factory sound ROM chips that I should make available for anyone refurbishing their SP-12.
By Spod Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:31 am
Will do!

Just got my 12 and been making some beats, such a magic machine.

I’ve found a post about getting the full 12 bit samples onto there, will research it for a while before digging in. Also gotta plan what sounds I want to make permanent.

http://zine.r-massive.com/e-mu-sp12-sound-rom-hacking/

Also is this the right eprom? https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mic ... 9kEALw_wcB
By richie Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:07 am
Yes that ROM will work totally fine as it is a 32k size, the same as the originals.

Just keep in mind that the ROM you have selected (while high quality) isn't re-writable, so make absolutely sure that the sample you're writing is what you in fact intend on sticking to.