Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By teacher Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:31 am
So I replaced the backlight in a 60II with one from Telesis. Everything looks legit, I replug connectors, say a little prayer and turn it on. All I get is a bright blue screen with no text. Nothing. Three times I have taken it apart and reseated connections with no luck. Did I just royaly *&^% up my 60? Somebody please help!

By Deta!L Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:35 am
how'd you get the backlight out? did you take the lcd screen off? if so, you probably **** up...try pushing the lcd down by the edges and see if the letters show up...if not you might have blown a fuse? I dunno

By teacher Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:56 pm
I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions to the letter. I removed the four screws that hold the screen to the lid of the 60II, then I slid the backlight out, desoldered the connections and soldered the new backlight. But all I get is a very bright screen with no text. It's almost like the backlight is too bright and the light text doesn't show up at all. Also the contrast does'nt affect the brightness. I'm going to try the old backlight again and see what happens. Maybe I got the wrong backlight?

By teacher Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:26 pm
Well, I put the old light back in and same thing. No text. I disconnected and reseated the ribbon and power cables and everything is put back together properly. There is a 5 pin connection (P208) I think ans it is without a cable. Anyone know what this is for? I see forat in my future. Damnit!

By teacher Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:08 am
Damn, almost 100 views and no one can help me? I thought this was the smart kids forum. Surely I'm not the only 60II this has happened with. Looks like it's off to Forat. Oh well, I got the 60 for a steal at $350. I was half expecting to put more $ into it.

By sequoia1232 Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:56 am
Maybe you should change your name to student? Haha, just a joke!

Anyway, not to worry, you should still be okay. If the backlight fits, and it lights up you're good there.

You simply haven't put it back together thoroughly. It's been awhile since I did this mission, so I can't give you exact details unless I open mine up. I've seen this happen before, sometimes only a few lines will be affected.

The problem lies in how you reassembled the lcd, it needs a snug fit with the right amount of pressure. Reseatting the connectors won't help.

By teacher Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:35 am
I never disassembled the display. I removed the 4 screws that hold the LCD assembly to the lid of the 60. After that the backlight slides right out the side with ease. I soldered the power connection to the new backlight and slid the new one back in. That's it.

By thedailyhustle Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:45 am
I did this same operation on my 60II and had the same problem, but in my case it was due to me forgetting to properly seat the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the circuitboard to display the text. If you have double checked all connections then I dont really have any clue, sorry i cant be more helpful.

Looks like Forat is most-likely in your future. But triple check everything before you send it off. Also Bruce Forat is a very smart and generous man from my experience, and you could give him a ring during business hours and tell him your scenario and see what he has to say about the possible causes and their respective solutions.

Good luck, and sorry to hear the bad news.

By teacher Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:54 pm
Nothing workrd. I tried everything I could think of and searched the net and found nothing. My 60 is at Forat right now. He quoted me $135 to fix. I'll be curious to know what the hell happened. By the way, Bruce Forat is the coolest. When I called he actually answered the phone and then attempted to help me fix it over the phone. I've never had better customer service. I can't say the same for VST. I was not impressed.

By stratferd Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:58 pm
did you see text prior to replacing the backlight? Have you gone down the inverter replacement path?

By stratferd Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:52 pm
Any updates? Did Forat fix your problem?

By jazzbee Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:02 pm
thats very strange, post some close up pics when u open it up...

also make sure you're plugging in all the ribbon cables the correct way round.

By Deta!L Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:22 pm
probably some fuse blowage (no richard simmons)

By teacher Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:50 am
Just got it back from Forat. Bruce said some of the components were blown? He asked if I had the power on while I was working on it. He was'nt real sure how it happened either. I followed the backlight install directions to the letter so beats me. All I know is Forat is the definition of customer service.