Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By zeusmajor Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:12 am
Definitely call http://WWW.SCSIFORSAMPLERS.COM if your having issues.

Many 3K users on this site have those drives with their 3K and are happy.

You may have a damaged drive.

Even with Multi sector data transfer: off , it's still a much better option than zip.
Last edited by zeusmajor on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By deegood Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:33 am
Dude said send it back and he'll send me a new one so i'll see how it goes in about a week. That was part of the reason for going to 3.50 - to get pass floppies and zips!!! now if i had scsi and a reader for my asr i would be closer to heaven-lol
By mpc3000le Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:50 pm
deegood wrote:Dude said send it back and he'll send me a new one so i'll see how it goes in about a week. That was part of the reason for going to 3.50 - to get pass floppies and zips!!! now if i had scsi and a reader for my asr i would be closer to heaven-lol

Deegood.

It won't go any different.

JD's SCSI for SAMPLER SPYRUS/MPL devices are tested thoroughly to work before he despatches them.

SPYRUS/MPL== Military/Industrial/Mission Critical .... ( Require that the HOST DEVICE, MPC3000 in this instance; supply termination power to the SCSI bus )

IOMEGA == Domestic/Desktop/Office Use/General Purpose. ( Supply termination power as a peripheral device to the SCSI bus )

The SPYRUS/MPL uses an active termination circuit that relies on the MPC3000 SCSI BUS supplied termination power loop.

The termination power loop is "fused" by "F901" on the MPC3000 SCSI board.

A blown "F901" on the MPC3000 SCSI board opens the termination power loop.

The SPYRUS/MPL drive malfunctions accordingly due to a lack of host supplied termination power to drive its "active host power derived termination circuitry".

In this instance, given the intended use of the SPYRUS/MPL.

Malfunction through incorrect termination serves as a warning to look deeper than
just the terminator. ( the SPYRUS/MPL is telling you some thing !!! )

IE: Faulty "F901" on the MPC3000 SCSI board.

The IOMEGA drives, intended for the mass market would present huge support department problems if they worked like the SPYRUS/MPL.

So with this in mind their termination circuit is a little more, well ... flexible.

The IOMEGA ZIP devices supply termination power to the bus.

So even if the MPC3000 "F901" fuse is blown they will still function.

The SPYRUS/MPL that was supplied to you by SCSI For Samplers is INMHO == OK.

Your MPC3000 SCSI fuse needs replacing.

Or ... If you can not be bothered pursuing replacement of the "F901" fuse ... then wire up your SCSI chain as I outlined in my recent response to your query about copying ZIP's to CF. in this thread :

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94771

Rohan.
By zeusmajor Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:20 pm
I spoke with JD from SCSI for SAMPLERS because I was having a similar issue with one of my ASR-10's.

2 SPYRUS MCDISK-1 card readers worked on one ASR-10 , but neither worked on the other ASR-10. :(

He told me that the newer MCDISK-2 reader drive they sell does supply termination power to the SCSI bus, just like a zip drive, and so it will work with an ASR-10 or MPC3000 that has the blown fuse problem. They've started recommending that customers buy the MCDISK-2 instead of the MCDISK so that even if their sampler has the problem, the card reader drive will still work fine.
By deegood Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:11 am
It won't go any different.
as Sir Rohan said!!!!!! this is pissing me off!!! same prob. no scsi device recognized-zip works fine!!!!! always something!!!!!!!!
He told me that the newer MCDISK-2 reader drive they sell does supply termination power to the SCSI bus, just like a zip drive, and so it will work with an ASR-10 or MPC3000 that has the blown fuse problem. They've started recommending that customers buy the MCDISK-2 instead of the MCDISK so that even if their sampler has the problem, the card reader drive will still work fine.

HA!!!!
By mpc3000le Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:00 pm
zeusmajor wrote:I haven't tried it with the MCDISK2 yet.

I have done the setup that Rohan outlined, and it worked w/MCDISK1.

Thanks Zeusmajor for sharing your confirmation of my suggestions.

Deegood... Replacement SCSI fuse and/or, get another SCSI cable to wire your devices up as outlined.

Rohan.
By mpc3000le Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:56 am
deegood wrote:where do i get a replacement fuse? do you have a diagram of the exact fuse?

This site:

http://akaiscsifaq.digidude.net/akaifaq_scsi_fuse.htm

Has a good explanation of the SCSI fuse.

Note: The information present is for S series AKAI SAMPLERS.

Said information can be applied conceptually to the MPC3000 SCSI fuse problem.

IE: Same fuse. Same replacement/substitution procedure.

Get a tech to fix the problem if you're not skilled/comfortable with board level repair work.

Rohan.
By MalcOverflow Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 pm
I was having the same problem with my mpc not recognizing my drive i had the Multi sector data transfer: on..............It should be off. It works now. I called SCSI 4 Samplers and the dude was way cool and helped me out by stepping me through the saving process.

Peace

Overflow
By deegood Fri May 02, 2008 12:10 am
I was having the same problem with my mpc not recognizing my drive i had the Multi sector data transfer: on..............It should be off. It works now. I called SCSI 4 Samplers and the dude was way cool and helped me out by stepping me through the saving process.
Which drive do you have? I tried that to no avail. I'm waiting on an extra cable to try connecting as Rohan described with the zip last in the chain. I must agree that JD at SCSI is super cool and was very willing to do whatever it took to get my situation straight. Much respect!
By deegood Fri May 02, 2008 2:12 am
[quote][I have the MCDISK...not the MCDISK 2.
/quote] I can't get the mcdisk 2 to work like that either. Tried it with my motif and it worked instantly -so the drive is good to go.
By c.toon Mon May 05, 2008 8:05 pm
hmmm deegood,

i was about to cop a mcdisk2 from s4s.com but you say you on 3.5 and it STILL doesn't recognize it?
I'm kinda flat out on buying/paying quite some stuff recently so I'll have to wait an other 1-2 months before i can get me 3.5....now im hesitant about the mcdisk2... its butt ugly aswell... i loved my pcd-25 sooooo much and it even looks good :(

im making motif beats saving seqs on floppy right now though. finally a reason to do synth only beats all day :twisted:

.toon
By deegood Mon May 05, 2008 8:35 pm
Well , it ain't the mcdisk2 that's giving me problems. I believe the blown scsi fuse is the issue. I hooked the mcdisk2 to my motif and it recognized it instantly. Now i don't know if i want to get the scsi kit for my asr10 and use the mcdisk2 for it. Or send the mpc and mcdisk2 in to vst. I tried everything Rohan suggested except replacing the fuse. I'm tired of spending too-got bills to pay!!!