Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By MPC-Tutor Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:10 pm
MPC-Forums.com Beat Battles

DEFAULT RULES UPDATED - let me know what you think!!

Due to popular demand, we now have a dedicated Beat Battle section. Hopefully these battles will become a popular section of the site - if you have any specific questions or feedback about how the battles are run, please post to this thread. I have made some arbitrary decisions on timings, so feel free to offer alternatives - please be aware that we obviously cover a lot of time zones here, so I have tried to pick compromise times that can work with the majority of members

All beats can be found at the MPC-Forums.com Beat Battle Page

Overview

* Battles are to be held weekly
* The winner of the previous battle starts the next battle topic
* Your beat is to be uploaded to your own Soundcloud page and then 'shared' with the MPC Forums Beat Battle group
* Voting takes place in a dedicated 'voting' topic for each battle
* After the winner is announced, all entries will also be updated on the soundcloud page to show the producers names - it's only anonymous during the voting period.
* Most battles are just fun, however there will be prizes for some events

How to Enter

* Find the most recent battle topic - inside there will a list of the rules for that battle and a sample for you to download
* Flip this sample to create your beat
* Join the MPC-Forums.com Beat Battle group at Soundcloud
* upload your beat to your own soundcloud page
* Make sure it includes the battle number in the title - i.e. BB#2. If it doesn't we might think it's a random spam beat and delete it
* Share your beat with the forum soundcloud group via the 'share to group' button - we'll make it live on voting day
* Monitor the voting thread for the battle you entered
* If you win, a mod will contact you and ask you for the next battle sample and rules (they'll then set up the battle topic for you)

Production rules

These are the default rules for any battle - however, the person who starts a battle can override pretty much any rule.

* 2 minute running limit
* You do NOT need to use an MPC in your beat
* 1 beat per person
* flip the chosen sample however you want
* outside drums and bass are allowed
* outside instrument/synth samples are allowed
* no acapellas
* short vocal samples allowed
* cuts/scratches allowed

Battle Timetable

* Sunday: Sample goes live
* Friday: Entries close and vote starts
* Saturday: Winner announced
* Sunday: Next battle goes live!

Voting rules

* Anyone can vote
* Don't vote for yourself :)
* Feel do leave comments and feedback in the voting topic!

Winner rules

* Winners should send the mods your battle sample & rules up ASAP, sooner the better,
* Do NOT post your sample to the forum battle group page on Soundcloud (let's keep that page only for beat entries). Instead, upload your sample to any filehost you wish, such as dropbox etc.
* You can override the default rules if you wish

Any further ideas or suggestions - please post them in this thread!
By b.read Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:32 pm
Looks good Toots! :D

One thing though... "* no outside keys or synths" may ruffle some feathers...personally, if I'm working on a song for a battle and there's a key part that will MAKE the song, I'm going to want to make the best song I can. I really think folks are going to break this rule. :lol: Just a thought.

Btw, I had read about the mpc-forum SC page, but hadn't seen the link yet- thanks, will join tonight. 8)
By es-k Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 pm
b.read wrote:Looks good Toots! :D

One thing though... "* no outside keys or synths" may ruffle some feathers...personally, if I'm working on a song for a battle and there's a key part that will MAKE the song, I'm going to want to make the best song I can. I really think folks are going to break this rule. :lol: Just a thought.

Btw, I had read about the mpc-forum SC page, but hadn't seen the link yet- thanks, will join tonight. 8)

i think the outside keys and synth rule will be decided by the OP of the battle!
By es-k Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 pm
also, you should pick a few moderators for the soundcloud site so soundcloud users dont spam it with unrelated music.

also maybe require beat to be named MPC-BB #1 (ES-K) or something.. streamline it

ill post a battle thread
By b.read Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:47 pm
es-k wrote:i think the outside keys and synth rule will be decided by the OP of the battle!

Hadn't had my coffee yet...missed that part. :oops:

By MPC-Tutor Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:14 pm
Yes, es-k, please set up the first battle on Saturday , I've already set your permissions so you can start a topic. Just mimic the Stonesthrow way of doing it, something like BEAT BATTLE #001, then post up your rules and a sample link, plus a reminder of when entries close (i.e. 10 days after).

I'll remove the 'no synths' bit for the moment, people can add that rule if they prefer when they start the battle.
By b.read Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:18 pm
No worries on the no synth rule if that's just a rough guideline for battle starters...they'll each probably have their own take on the rules anyhow. :)
By MPC-Tutor Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:12 pm
BTW, as this is the first battle and a bit of a special occasion, I'm going to sponsor this and be giving the winner the 'Inspired By - sound of the underground' collection.

Just remember, most battles will be just for fun :) However, I'll try to get some third party sponsors involved as well, hopefully with some actual gear on offer.

I'll also whip up a banner to advertise this around the various sites, just so everyone is aware of it.
By b.read Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:14 pm
Right on man...sounds good to me. :D
By ansiaaa Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:36 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I'm going to sponsor this and be giving the winner the 'Inspired By - sound of the underground' collection.
However, I'll try to get some third party sponsors involved as well, hopefully with some actual gear on offer.

you put so much on the table now we'VE GOT to make some nice beats!
what can I say? thank you again for all the effort you put in this community