Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Who Wins The Battle?

N/A
N/A
N/A
13%
2%
N/A
4%
4%
N/A
N/A
2%
5%
N/A
2%
N/A
2%
N/A
2%
4%
N/A
2%
9%
25%
2%
N/A
7%
13%
N/A
5%
By evil A Sulli Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:40 am
23 is hot (sounds like DJ Premier did it) and 12 has a nice groove...the rest is str8.

Next time can you use a shorter sample, so I can try to compare to the original a little better.
By cyrus Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:09 am
I'd have to say 23 or 27 get my vote.

I think that sample was a tough nut to crack - but honestly good because it forced creativity, especially for the first battle.

I personally got sick of listening to my beat so its nice to hear other's freshness. I think I have a short attention span tho...I also listen to beats like I sample, if i dont like it i skip it right away.

Other battles I've been in the time limit is 60 seconds. But for live battles thats needed, if you dont get the crowd rockin when the beat drops you're done. Of course here we have ability for folks to sit and listen. But time limit can be one of those things that foster creativity, and help to keep the listeners from getting bored.

I really would enjoy a battle where you got some crazy time limit like 15 or 30 seconds to prove your point and see what actually happens!

ah shit, listened to #4 thats not bad either.
By bliprock Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:10 am
Man o man, which one to vote for? its hard as there are a few that really are very good. I had to ascertain a criteria to whittle them down and still can not decide. I looked at quality, the way it was flipped, the context, the piece as a whole. I listened to all of them without fast forwarding, thats not on. It is annoying hearing that same sample sure but kinda liked that aspect as if its flipped well you are engaged and not turned of. I like 29 and 27 alot. I mean top notch hip hop being done the way it should be to me. HHmmmm 23 and 24 was ok, like I liked them, but didnt stand out, and the scratching seemed just added on top. I like scratching but sometimes it annoys me.
I sense a difference in the production quality. Some are in need of more quality but thats only because they up against some very slick production here.
i really didnt like 21, that bass line annoyed me, and was a bit predictable, and seemed to me not to suit the original funky bossa nova feel of original. Not that it has to, I mean do what you want, but yeah thats what i think. It has a lot of funk in the original and this track its bass line is so not happening for me at all.
19 jilted drums made me think it was out of time, but can not figure if this is on purpose or not.
!8 is nice but samey with not enough variation, and could sound better I think. its well mello and good piano sample choice. guitar sample too much i think. Yes I am a critic. Yes I have opinion. Do not take it personal. next...
15 is ok to me but too much horn i mean all melody with horn shows good cutting and arrangement but the end result is is not much contrast and like i said too much horn not enough other stuff.
14 is mellow and good but dosnt go any where for me.
13s constant hammond tone, or what ever it is horrible. wanted to skip it but didnt
12 is good on a few levels, least which the programming of drums is great. Good sample choices for a sound thats very cut up but still smooth and funky. take note of around 29 seconds where its switched up. Nice. Lots of sub in there to so thats always good to, if done right and this is. Sounds good but not alot of in your face variation its maybe too subtle for beat battle???
ok 11 sounds totally out of tune to me. those background sweeps are not working for me at all. like the booze and pills are kicking in sound. wasnt nice to my ears.
Now 10 was promising start, but didnt go hard, and seemed a bit dinky to me. Its like jazz funk Electro but it aint no where near good enough for that style to me. or sound fat enough either. Those kinda sounds to me should be in your face and not sound so nice maybe. And then its got nicer with the key doodling so was feeling let down in that department. So it is ok but falls short to me.
7 is like 11 but its in tune to me and a lot better for it. Synths do not seem as synced though. like a little out of time to me and LFO should move more. but was a different sound thats a bit meaty i liked that. 5 is nice sounding at sunny up beat with nice arrangement.
3 is jilted. No flow from my perspective. like out of time or badly cut. So because of this it wont be groovy to me. 1 and 2 are the same in this respect the drums dont matter at all if the sample chops are jilted feeling. Some people go for that, but its not much fun to dance to.
So writing this helps me to to externalize, which in turn makes me considering my vote a little bit easier. so listen to a few again i think then decide.
ByTagOne Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:47 am
Hmmm tough choice as there was some really good ones to choose from, but number 23 finally got my vote.
By Toothflesh Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:47 am
Beat #4, very good vibe and clean as a MoFo
By bliprock Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 pm
ill green what is that angry varmit? looks like wolf with no ears. its ok I think this will sort that out
I voted 29.
By OriginalProducer Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:42 pm
hard to choose give some other listen
edit : the 23 got my vote ! original boom bap ! but there"s many other that's killing the 4 the 18 the 22 the 24...
By Ill-Green Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:48 pm
bliprock wrote:ill green what is that angry varmit? looks like wolf with no ears. its ok I think this will sort that out
I voted 29.

Thats a wolverine, one can slaughter a pack of wolves. Rarely documented, but I saw one sliced the guts out of a grizzly bear. They got these razor sharp claws. Interesting animal. :wink:
By Ill-Green Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:10 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:Looks like a wolf's face photoshopped on a bears body! :lol:

Actually, thats what they are. Half wolf, half bear. Indians believed they had spiritual powers. Youtube has some videos, but I'm still searching for the one I saw on Nat Geo where a pack of wolves were eating their kill and this wolverine comes along and slashes the shit out of all of them. Never heard a wolf cry like a scared dog until that footage.
By B.A. Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:19 pm
There's a lot of good ideas in this battle. The beats that stood out to me the most were 29, 27, 25, 23, 22 (the first beat, I would have liked to hear more of this one), 10 and 4, but I pretty much found something interesting in all the beats. For example, 10 for some reason makes me feel like like watching Beat Street, it just give me that old school feel and makes me picture people in tight ass breakin suits getting down :). Then there's 25, it has an old funky vibe thing going on (I'm a sucker for them old school funk records) and I like what happens at about the 1:05 mark. It's cool to see how the same sample can get flipped and go in 29 different directions. Good job everyone, and it's just the first battle! :D
By DJ Hellfire Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 pm
Yeah, for the most part, these all sound very different. Amazing where some people took the sample in comparison to what I heard in the sample. This sample was very challenging for me! Took me 3 different beats to get something I was satisfied with.