Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By bliprock Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:47 am
Yeah I am in. Good sample choice. I have nearly finished entry, but with such material you can make a hundred different things with it, so still going. I am gonna not liste to ya entries till i have finished other wise i feel like its cheating a bit for myself.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:35 pm
Chaos wrote:I made a track and shared it to the group, I just wanted to flip the sample for fun. Since I picked the sample, can you not include my track in the voting?

Yeah, we'll include it, it's in the moderation list ATM - from now on, all tracks wont go live until Tuesday.
By bliprock Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:59 pm
:shock: I went there for first time in ages and listened to them, before i have even upped mine, but I am not changing anything in my entry as there aint enough time to muck around now, just finish it and record it. Yeah not cool to be able to hear entries early. :roll:
By Tee Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:BTW, not sure why, but one of the mods has approved all the tracks already, so most of the entries are now live - sorry about that

OK - I'm glad to hear it actually was an accident. :wink:
It's been annoying me all week :lol: ever since I read Jibbers comment:

jibber wrote:Some amazing entries so far! Mine won't really compete, but it's still some of the most fun i've ever had making a beat... i need more time! :D

However - it didnt affect the making of my beat as I chose not to listen to any of the beats before the deadline of entry, but I still thought it was kinda f*cked up...

So what do you folks think about the voting? Is the anonymous voting really anonymous. I mean - sure, you can't see who I voted fore.
That's ok - I guess - even though I don't mind beeing open about who I vote for.
But IMO the beats are what really should be anonymous. Like how it was at the first battle, when we all listened to the beats without knowing who made them. That's the only way to make sure we vote only based on what we hear.

Also, the counting of the votes should IMO also be viewable only after the deadline of voting. Otherwise you could just sit on your vote and wait - and for instance vote for your favorite of the top two beats, instead of voting for your favourite of all the entrys. At this previous battle I placed my vote quite late. If I would have voted tactically, I would have gone for Chaos. Then he would have won over Verysickbeats. But I wanted to go for my favourite beat, so I voted for Logic1.

Just my opinions... :roll: What do you all think?

Anyways - my beat turned out to be something completely different than the beat I heard inside my head when I first started chopping the samples. :lol:

Killer sample and fun to chop! Thanks Chaos!
By MPC-Tutor Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:00 pm
At the moment, the beat battles are being trialled. One thing I want to avoid is a) excessive administration from our side, and b) excessive costs. The way we did the first battle means we have to take all entries via email, download them, rename, log all entries, upload anonymously, set up the vote, then after voting re-attach everyone to their beat. It was a lot of work.

This process also pretty much used up the free soundcloud storage space, so it's clear we'd need to get a pro plus account pretty quickly, which is €500/yr.

So maybe not ideal to some people this current way, but at the moment it's fine considering this is a trial. If I feel we have something good going in, I can begin to look into ways we can streamline everything, maybe hosting everything elsewhere and coding a custom voting system, because currently we're using the built in poll system which isn't really geared up for what we are using it for.

I would point out that we have used the stonesthrow battle forum as our blueprint, and to be fair, their system is not anonymous, nor is the voting, and they seem to be very successful. TBH, we wont be able to please everyone, so hopefully we can find something that most people are happy with.
By Tee Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:40 pm
I totally get that it has to be cheap (= free) and as little work as possible. And the point is that chopping samples and putting together beats is fun as hell.

I just got surprised :shock: with how everything is viewable and live after the talk about anonymity. For me it's no biggie since I'm new in this, I don't know anyone here and I don't favour anyone. However, the day the battles become bloody serious :twisted: is the day that these things might have to change...

For me this has been a great practice and a way to force myself not to leave every damn project in the middle. Even if my beat might be unready, I push myself to UL it and participate anyways. Also, the fact that I only have limited time to chop it up and put together a quick beat has been a great learning experience. Not to mention the fact that you have to use a sample someone else picked out. Love it! :D
By -niN Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:56 pm
agreed^

Just uploaded my entry.

I'm actually not going to listen to ANY of those beats before the pole is up. Eventhough it's quite tempting to peek... :lol:
Trying to be as fair and honnest as possible about my vote.
By -niN Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 pm
Aaah .. F*ck it! After seeing how much they've all been played allready, I thought what diffrence does it make.. :lol: :arrow: :|

Some really good stuff up there for real! Let's see what else there is yet to come.. 8)

No decisions made yet..
By es-k Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:50 pm
i want to say that i think this can be effectively done without hiding our identities - im not opposed to it either - but im just saying we can have a little faith in our selves and vote honestly.. i know i will. there's no dick riding in this lol.. whats the point??? this is all for fun... i love hearing everyone flip different samples... i dont think knowing who it is makes a difference either way in how i'd vote at least