Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Who wins the battle?

4%
N/A
N/A
4%
4%
11%
26%
N/A
4%
N/A
N/A
N/A
4%
11%
15%
7%
11%
By DerSimi Wed May 16, 2012 2:39 pm
a lot of cool beats this round. my vote goes to fromafarawayplace. i love his f... flashback beat. oh man, this is so good for my ears. as like holiday...for 3 minutes :lol:
By Tha_Skywalker Wed May 16, 2012 6:10 pm
ArKyve-31 wrote: This sample IMO had no true lead part in it and felt like it was hard to make a good solid track out of it.

Yeah I agree I felt the sample had a lot of potential for layering but no actual lead. Never the less some people did a great job!
By thomrob Wed May 16, 2012 8:04 pm
That was a bit tougher beat to flip than it seemed IMO.

It was saucy, and props to manic beats for turning us onto this Isao Tomita character.

I'm a fan now.

Unfortunately after looking a bit more into the cat, I found a better copy then MP3, and so I had to start all over after already chopping up and getting halfway through a beat, and couldn't make it in time.

Is there a rule that the target samp must be full quality?

There should be.

Anyways, as far as that samp, it was kind of weird because there seems to be endless ambient to it and you would think that it would be all wide open space.

But after cutting it (and least twice), it became apparent that dude is kinda riffing on the same melody.

There's stuff there but its interesting to me that everyone ended up pretty much using portions of the same melody, although probably from different sections of the song.

Everyone who pulled this one off showed some muscle IMO.

Congrats, beat champs.

edit: "Is there a rule that the target samp must be full quality?"

I can understand if a full quality sample might be legally dubious?

(Although there doesn't seem to be any difference to the people concerned with that stuff anyway though...)

So at least identifying the samp was a good idea so that it can be dug up for bitrate whores.

;)

That would be my first order of business next time if necessary.
By szr Wed May 16, 2012 9:11 pm
Voted 4 Verysickbeats

Thanks for feedback too, didn't expect any votes for mine.
@ peeping tom.. keep the constuctive criticism coming, makes for good reading in these battles.
By CHOPFYT Wed May 16, 2012 9:55 pm
Thanks for all the comments and votes its much appreciated, Ive left more specific answers to comments on sc.

I voted selfinfict I felt like the drums couldve been stronger but it was the best overall with faraway in close 2nd ( i wanted or was expecting more drums or a higher bpm maybe )

pzzzz
By jnorth Thu May 17, 2012 12:14 am
There's some decent talent here! Tempted to join in next time! :)
By thomrob Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 am
jnorth wrote: Tempted to join in next time! :)

Dont do it!

Its a trick!
By inflict3 Thu May 17, 2012 1:15 am
shank carvin wrote:Thanks for all the comments and votes its much appreciated, Ive left more specific answers to comments on sc.

I voted selfinfict I felt like the drums couldve been stronger but it was the best overall with faraway in close 2nd ( i wanted or was expecting more drums or a higher bpm maybe )

pzzzz

thanks alot man, i loved urs, i picked urs for 2nd, loved the busy drums my girl loved urs too, i voted for faraway... thanks everyone for doing this and thanks everyone for the feedback!! :D
By peeping tom Thu May 17, 2012 7:42 am
Toothflesh wrote:
peeping tom wrote:ill give feedback for all if i can......

Toothflash - nice attempt aswell, flips ok, if them drums were a bit more looser and the bass line was in key this would be great!

thanks for the feedback, trying to progress everytime, any tips on getting everything in key?

it was a difficult vote cause in my opinion i didnt hear one beat that really stood out but i'm gonna go for SKYWALKER.
His beat made full use of the sample and it's a dope beat!

a tuner or just use your ears. if i have trouble telling whether its in key or not i usually crank the volume, get it **** loud. things are easier to hear sometimes at loud volumes.

apart from that, play notes over it until you find the right ones. im in no way musically trained so if i told you i knew theory id be lying.

also helps to keep things in cents or semitones, not rocking out with half cents and semitones, finding a suitable layer will be a headache then (unless like me, you know how many cents you pitched and pitch your layers accordingly)

Hope that helps my man. the tuner thing will for sure.
By peeping tom Thu May 17, 2012 7:46 am
DerSimi wrote:
peeping tom wrote:Dersimi - Nice attempt, like the strings but didn't really get into the beat

what can i do better? :?: :D

hey man there was nothing wrong with the beat, i probably should be more carefull when making replies.

i like the chops you got, i felt the drums were sitting too far behind the sample chops though which kinda lost the punch to your drums.

If you maybe had of turned down the chops, added a stronger more prominent bassline and turned the drums up would go a long way.

Cant fault that sample at the start though man, straight creep.
By ArKyve-31 Thu May 17, 2012 3:13 pm
sally wrote:Jah & CO are here?

They are bad peoples, I Think.

Jah didn't compete or even comment on this battle so what does this comment pertain to?