Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Who wins the battle?

N/A
N/A
9%
14%
N/A
27%
23%
N/A
9%
5%
N/A
9%
N/A
5%
By Chaos Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:33 am
First off, it's a pleasure taking part in these battles. The quality of stuff people make in a week is pretty crazy. As usual it's hard to pick one. This is my second listen through the beats. I put a * by the ones that stood out the most.

TepaphoneMP: I really liked the mix of the early stuff. The instrumentation over the sample sounds really nice and I like the panning work.
Perfect 5th: Contrast between the 'happy' part and the part where the guitar sample drops out is great.
deudei: Really chill feel with this beat. I like the understated bass line a lot.
*Borat: The drums on this are fantastic. Really good stuff with the sample. The sitar bit is also great. High quality track.
Obi-Dan-Kenobi: For being so off-kilter and crazy sounding, this track still works. It's good to hear completely different takes on the sample like this! Made me think of Flying Lotus a bit at times.
*Joeypresents:This track sounds great in so many ways. The vocal sample is perfect and the way you used the original sample is very tasteful. Like Unfolding Machines said, the 'citation' at the end is great.
*Unfolding Machines: This had the best bass and great job with your voice samples. Also loved the eerie vibe and tension inthe track. The part after 'still there' has such nice aggressive sound.
Ghoul Abbdul: Snare is a bit loud, but I like the simple minimalistic nature of the beat. I had to Google the voice samples. Harry Dean Stanton in Paris, Texas (1984). All I could think about when looking at his picture was an alien jacking him in the cargo bay of the Nostromo. :D
*JosephNicks: Great use of the sample and the beat sounds really good. Very nice.
*Verysickbeats: Probably my favourite drum beat of the bunch. The stutter on the sample was great too.
citylabproductions: Great sparse arrangement and I dig the fast hats and sax as well.
ProgressiveSoul: After eating your bowl of wheaties you forgot to put BB13 in the title. :mrgreen: Lots of great synth in this track: the sweeps and the squelchy leads were great. Did you use softsynths or hardware for that?

The bronze medal goes to:
Unfolding Machines

The silver medal goes to:
Borat

And the gold medal goes to:
JosephNicks

8)

p.s. Unfolding Machines: Yep, I did play the guitar parts. There is a classical guitar, a bass guitar and the middle section has a simple electric line as well.
By joeypresents Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:54 am
Top 3

Unfolded Machines
Obi Dan Kanobi
Joseph nicks

Had To give it to Unfolded Machines for the skills factor shit sounds like hes been doing this for a while and that drum style Dope as **** and original made me wanna listen again. Obi dope Floppy swingin feel a close 2nd, and Joseph Nicks was probably my favorite groovin feel but needed some change ups in my opinion for what its worth :?:

All these beats were dope though Hard to judge...
By Coz Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 am
It's getting harder to pick an outright winner in these battles, especially with all the pro beat battlers that take part!

I really liked the vibe, production and arrangement on a bunch of the tracks, but on second listen the guitar part stood out on Chaotic's entry so that's who got my vote. :smoker:
By inflict3 Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:21 am
a shit for a shat a tit for a tat,. im out.. i love these battles and using my mp500 only on em, but i gotta get back to reason,. and with 6.5 its sooo **** on..im getting lost in my own world ove here... :smoker: :nod:
By ghlabdl Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:40 pm
Don't have time for a full on analysis of my fav. tracks this time :( One's that I took notice of the most were JosephNicks, verysickbeats and Unfolding Machines.

Giving it to Unfolding Machines. Really loved how much he/she was able to rip apart the sample and use it in many different, unique ways. Drum breakdown that begins in the middle is dope. Great job.
By ProgressiveSoul Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 pm
choas: Lots of great synth in this track: the sweeps and the squelchy leads were great. Did you use softsynths or hardware for that?

I used Aturia MinimoogV with some distortion, a phaser and delay.
By Borat Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:02 pm
Congrats!
And I agree with that
please change the rules, it's getting stale , you have the power!! anything even if it's acapellas or no synths, takes us out of our comfort zones, anyway well done!!!!!
By ProgressiveSoul Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:31 pm
No synths?! How is that a comfort zone?

Adding your own synth work over the sample should be mandatory just as long as it doesn't out shine the sample. I think the synth work i did for this battle fit perfectly for the track i made.

For BB#12 that was just my MPC and iPad synths and I'll do the same for #14.
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:12 pm
ProgressiveSoul wrote:No synths?! How is that a comfort zone?

Adding your own synth work over the sample should be mandatory just as long as it doesn't out shine the sample. I think the synth work i did for this battle fit perfectly for the track i made.

For BB#12 that was just my MPC and iPad synths and I'll do the same for #14.

If your comfy using synths, then your taken away from that skill set, you are brought out of your comfort zone, for example If I won this is what I would do, supply you drums and only those drums too work with, no synths except for bass, do not repeat the same two bars twice, flip the sample so it is not allowed too sound the same. Or post an acapella so we could remix it all I'm saying is we should peush each other, and taking someones main skill away forces them too improve on other area's. and how you gonna use a synth if Joey says no!
By ghlabdl Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:33 pm
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:all I'm saying is we should push [sic] each other

The whole point of beat battling is to challenge and push each other, no?
By joeypresents Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm
Thank you very much to the mpc-forums community this is dope, I appreciate all the love :-D This is exactly what I needed I had that last week off from work and instead of sitting around stressing rent and watching reruns of the Office I jumped in this battle with you fine ladies and gentlemen, therapeutic to say the least.
As for changing the rules up I think I will, nothing crazy just something to stir it up a bit. Ill work on throwing something up by tomorrow morning.

Thank you Thank you Thank You...PEACE :-D