Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By joeypresents Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:51 pm
Did any one listen to this and wonder if the guys that wrote the MASH TV show themes song ripped it off. There is a chord phrase in there that i swear is exactly the same. no biggie but G I wonder?[/quote]

:lol: yea I thought I heard a little bit of mash myself who knows if there is any relation, anyways glad you guys like the the little change up of rules and relieved that everyone is cool withe the sample, I was going through my vinyl with no idea what to sample for you guys then I figured if its something fun that I can chop then definitely these talented cats will have no problem doing the same :!:
By szr Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:45 pm
Don't think I've ever done a song without synths... Was fun to go without, & I hope more people change up the rules in future..
..For example I was thinking it would be cool to supply a break/drum hits along with a track to sample... and limit the sounds to just those...
Or another rule idea:
Beat must demonstrate creative use of flanging...or beat boxing (sampled or not).... or time stretched drums or overzealous reverb and so on....
By sirparksalot Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:27 pm
Dope sample....gonna work on this tonight, just got back in town. Already trying to think about other records to use...cool rules!
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:59 am
szr wrote:Don't think I've ever done a song without synths... Was fun to go without, & I hope more people change up the rules in future..
..For example I was thinking it would be cool to supply a break/drum hits along with a track to sample... and limit the sounds to just those...
Or another rule idea:
Beat must demonstrate creative use of flanging...or beat boxing (sampled or not).... or time stretched drums or overzealous reverb and so on....

they did that with the stones throw battle and it worked really well.
By bliprock Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:34 pm
I reckon the song is out of tune, maybe played a little sped up?? So i retuned to standard pitch, cos that can help. Any one else do this at all. I am probably the only one then hey. I read the rules wrong and did not think i could use a bass sample and made it from the song instead. o well props to me then.
By sirparksalot Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:17 am
*edit
Got soundcloud to work....just submitted mine. I just picked an MPC 3000 up a few days ago so this gave me an opportunity to learn how to chop on it. Had a lot of fun, thanks for this sample!
By Unfolding Machines Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:35 pm
Ah! Hope I'm not late... Scrambled to get a microwave beat done on this one... Haven't thrown together a beat this fast in ages! Had it done in 2 hours (I usually spend an entire day). Hope it sounds OK!

Just glad that sample was in a really weird scale that fits with both major & minor keys (loads of suspended 4ths & 5ths, a few 7ths). Made picking the other two samples easy. Was that a deliberate choice, Joeypresents?

*edit: just re-uploaded my beat, just turned the drums up in the mix. KappN you were right man! The drums were missing, so I drew a great big black line around them so they'd stand out & stuck it back into Soundcloud.
Last edited by Unfolding Machines on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By inflict3 Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:08 pm
just got mine turned in,. just something i threw together yesterday.. ps. i went on a river float on sat. and we got stuck on the side of the river till sunday. it got dark, all we had was our swim suits and a shitty fire outta down wood to keep us warm, it really **** sucked ass!!! glad to be back in :smoker: civilization