Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Who wins the battle?

4%
7%
N/A
N/A
22%
15%
4%
4%
N/A
33%
7%
4%
By szr Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:44 pm
Constructive comments should always be welcome, and giving any doesn't mean you think your music is perfect.. I used to give these kind of comments over the years to other musos, but at this stage I think music is just a snapshot of feelings/time.. In alot of ways tips are kind of just leading you into a direction, the destination of which is often generic'ism. Basically the person giving tips wanting you to sounds more like what's in their head. etc..

Lets say a song has a great vibe/emotion.. why is that even good to give kudos to, maybe the person felt depressed when they made it.. That's usually when the most moving music is made... Is it not supporting negativity..

I think the idea of 'votes/competition' is outdated to be honest.. But I go along cos I like the social club here.
By konc3pt Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:30 pm
right on for the vote :nod: and comments on S.D :smoker: !...this was tough choice.there's at least 3-4 beats I'd vote for. my vote goes to rawb1, nice work'! 8)
By inflict3 Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:33 am
i could give a shit less if anyone votes for me.. its funny cause i usually vote for the guy with one or 2 votes,. but u know everyone has different tastes, i dont do this for a popularity contest or for anyone but me. i like taking a sample i would normally not use and trying to flip it, i feel it keeps me learning and making beats in my down time.. i mean, i post pics of dicks all over this forum, i dont care who the **** likes me :fku: lol
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 am
Thought as much, everyone feels something quite strong somewhere about the voting, of course it won't work, you can see other peoples votes, and some people will just throw the system into a game for their own amusement, which is so blatantly obvious. End of the day to improve you need the knowledge, and that comes from guidance, Toothflesh has made 2 comments on wanting to improve his mix, he's asked twice(not directly) with no reply, so shall we help each other or just continue to post beats, with no idea if we are doing it right or not, we could start a thread about the beats we make in the battle,
just think it's good for young beat makers. And it might get more beats on board. :?:
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:40 am
szr wrote:The psychology is lots of people say they like your beat in the hope that you vote for them.
Think too many people watch ironically named 'talent shows' on tv, and mirror the w*oring they see.

I didn't vote on some battles cos the beats where all round poor sometimes, no use in spreading bad karma.. But on some of those not so great battles I saw the most gushing comments.. Kind of puts you off.

The one that makes me laugh and it's not on here, is when everyone starts getting swayed by the other votes, and following the crowd and a shit beat ends up winning, or their noses are right up someone's bottom and vote the same person every week. I've done a lot of little tricks to see if people are actually listening, sure people skip tracks as well or slap a cool man comment and don't play it ha ha!! lets just all get to know each other have a laugh and make some good music! :lol:
By Toothflesh Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:45 am
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Thought as much, everyone feels something quite strong somewhere about the voting, of course it won't work, you can see other peoples votes, and some people will just throw the system into a game for their own amusement, which is so blatantly obvious. End of the day to improve you need the knowledge, and that comes from guidance, Toothflesh has made 2 comments on wanting to improve his mix, he's asked twice(not directly) with no reply, so shall we help each other or just continue to post beats, with no idea if we are doing it right or not, we could start a thread about the beats we make in the battle,
just think it's good for young beat makers. And it might get more beats on board. :?:

i always vote for the beat i feel most and that could mean that the best produced beat aint the one i vote for.
it would be dope to fill in a form where you can give points for different aspects of the beat like drums, originality, sample use etc and adding those points up makes your score.
but for a regular beat battle this is way to extensive :-D

i read the last Behind The Beat thread on the Stones Throw Beat Battle forum and it's a good read.
but like Obi-Dan noticed I am really interested in how to improve myself and what aspects of my beat suck so i can work on that.
as a family man i dont have allot of time to spend om beat making so every tip or trick is welcome :-D
Damn i wish i was young again..... :mrgreen:
By Coz Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:45 am
inflict3 wrote:i could give a shit less if anyone votes for me.. its funny cause i usually vote for the guy with one or 2 votes,. but u know everyone has different tastes, i dont do this for a popularity contest or for anyone but me. i like taking a sample i would normally not use and trying to flip it, i feel it keeps me learning and making beats in my down time.. i mean, i post pics of dicks all over this forum, i dont care who the **** likes me :fku: lol

I voted for you mate... The QR code I posted spelt out 'selfinflict'. :mrgreen:
By szr Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 am
Question is how valid/usefull someone elses knowledge is, pertaining to an emotional snapshot you've created. Is someone elses influence/opinion on your piece of audio art not at odds with the the whole point of music.. i.e. it should be your expression, done your way.. Fine maybe some people are aiming at radio friendly dumbed down well produced/mixed emptiness.. Should they be helped along that path?

Ideally people should gain knowledge from their own experiences.

Regarding not many people entering the battle... surely that's a good thing.. any more than 30 entries a month and no one will listen to each track fully.. Which would be a shame.

Maybe Tutor can suggest where to stick a thread to talk about this stuff, so as to keep this one on topic.

Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Thought as much, everyone feels something quite strong somewhere about the voting, of course it won't work, you can see other peoples votes, and some people will just throw the system into a game for their own amusement, which is so blatantly obvious. End of the day to improve you need the knowledge, and that comes from guidance, Toothflesh has made 2 comments on wanting to improve his mix, he's asked twice(not directly) with no reply, so shall we help each other or just continue to post beats, with no idea if we are doing it right or not, we could start a thread about the beats we make in the battle,
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:44 pm
Toothflesh wrote:

i always vote for the beat i feel most and that could mean that the best produced beat aint the one i vote for.
it would be dope to fill in a form where you can give points for different aspects of the beat like drums, originality, sample use etc and adding those points up makes your score.
but for a regular beat battle this is way to extensive :-D

i read the last Behind The Beat thread on the Stones Throw Beat Battle forum and it's a good read.
but like Obi-Dan noticed I am really interested in how to improve myself and what aspects of my beat suck so i can work on that.
as a family man i dont have allot of time to spend om beat making so every tip or trick is welcome :-D
Damn i wish i was young again..... :mrgreen:

Same here dude us beat Dad's have to stick together time is not on our side pat on the back dude it ain't easy. :nod:
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm
szr wrote:Question is how valid/usefull someone elses knowledge is, pertaining to an emotional snapshot you've created. Is someone elses influence/opinion on your piece of audio art not at odds with the the whole point of music.. i.e. it should be your expression, done your way.. Fine maybe some people are aiming at radio friendly dumbed down well produced/mixed emptiness.. Should they be helped along that path?

Ideally people should gain knowledge from their own experiences.

Regarding not many people entering the battle... surely that's a good thing.. any more than 30 entries a month and no one will listen to each track fully.. Which would be a shame.

Maybe Tutor can suggest where to stick a thread to talk about this stuff, so as to keep this one on topic.

Well as I've said there are 70 odd beats a week on stonesthrow, 2 min limits, it works, bit confused about the radio friendly beat meaning, well produced/ mixed emptiness if thats my beats good god would I want to know, hows that work though empty but well produced or I have I read you wrong , and as for the path way thing, we are all meant to be each others signs in life for guidance, or we would have a withdrawing from society complex on a huge scale, everyone thinking they're doing it right when they're so far from it being right. This is all good cos in less than a day a lot of us are opening up about our music it's all good.
By konc3pt Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:30 pm
dunno bout yall, but im ready for another 1 :nod: :smoker:
By TepaphoneMP Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:36 pm
I'm a big fan of this thing we all have called a self. Found it can be the ultimate reference and teacher that will always point in the right direction.

If a producer is at a fairly early level of learning and skill, I think tips and constructive criticizm can work objectively to help impove purely technical things. But once one grasps the fundimentals, the best voice to listen to is the still small one.
By TepaphoneMP Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:39 pm
konc3pt wrote:dunno bout yall, but im ready for another 1 :nod: :smoker:

Word. That's where I'm at. Yo Don Blake, I hope you have a challenging set of rules with enough limitation to get us flexing our creativity to the fullest!
By szr Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:44 pm
@Obi-Dan-Kenobi
I wasn't making references to your music at all so don't take anything personally, I don't think you understand me.

TepaphoneMP summed it up well... but I think even mix quality/engineering is very personal.. some would says sidechain compression is the key, others like myself would say to stay away from compressors and eq for the most part... As that's what I think is 'good' ... is that really helping?

I agree that people should help each other more in day to day life... but when it comes to creating art, it's not clear what helps and what doesn't... I'm glad to recommend different gear to people that I think is great.... but again is that helping... as what I think is good may not be what others like.
By ArKyve-31 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm
My top tracks that stuck out in my mind were

Rawb1
Konc3pt
selfinclict
don blake

I voted for rawb1, his drums stuck out to me the most after listening to the whole battle.

Selfinflict, bro great use of everything reason has to offer with a mpc, not knocking your early beats, but I can tell you've been putting work in these last few months.

Don blake, your skill and talent is apparent, enjoyed your beat a lot, could def. be used by the mainstream.

Kon, (this is constructive) I kept waiting for some more layers to drop in, either on the drums or the samples, I felt you had a great start and foundation and then left me hanging, still one of the better tracks on this battle though but I felt you could have taken it by adding a little something extra to spice it up. Just my 2 cents though :smoker: