Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By TepaphoneMP Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:50 pm
MPCBB #17 Dharmatma and the Bass Cookout
Grab the economy box of arm and hammer, set the microwave to hi power!

* Flip this sample to create your beat
* Join the MPC-Forums.com Beat Battle group at Soundcloud
* 1 beat only please.
* Monitor the voting thread for the battle you entered - please do not vote for yourself
* If you win, I will set up temporary permissions so you can start the next battle.

Posting rules

1) Join the MPC-Forums.com Beat Battles Group: http://soundcloud.com/groups/mpc-forums ... t-battles/
2) Upload the beat to your own soundcloud page - please make it downloadable
3) Make sure it includes the battle number in the title - i.e. BB#14. If it doesn't we might think it's a random spam beat and delete it
4) Share the beat with the forum group via the 'share to group' button

We'll keep all beats hidden until the first day of voting, then all beats will be made live on the forum soundcloud page.

* Currently, you do NOT need to use an MPC in your beat - however in the future, we will definitely be running special battles that will have an MPC requirement. But generally speaking, Battles are open to everyone.

Production rules:

* Cook up, tweak, combine bass sounds from any of the included ARP 2600 raw waveforms, Fender bass samples or even the bass frequencies from the song to create some crack, also known as base.
* 1 beat per person
* TIME LIMIT: Since you guys are uploading to your own accounts, there is no way for the battle to run over soundclouds 120 minute account limit. So make them as long as you want. Although, you should at least try to keep them to the limit of a standard song (2:30-4:00). *REMEMBER: It's your job as the beat maker to get the listeners attention to want to listen immediately. If you make it too boring, people will skip it!
* flip the chosen sample however you want
* Outside drums ARE allowed
* Outside samples ARE NOT allowed (THIS INCLUDES SYNTHS AND BASS).
* no acapellas
* short vocal samples allowed
* cuts/scratches allowed

Samples are here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m4zm1600gyv9zgu

Submit by Tuesday October 2nd 6PM EST
Voting ends Friday October 5th 6PM EST
Last edited by TepaphoneMP on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By T. Jones Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:45 am

Just to be clear... I hope we all know about this...Feels like yesterday, ten years ago... RIP Dilla Dawg

good looks on the bass samples TP
By TepaphoneMP Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:56 pm
Correct. Take only what you want or need. I included all that because it's like one big song with the same melody and tuning and I wanted us to have the opportunity to use any of it.
Last edited by TepaphoneMP on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TepaphoneMP Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:24 pm
Damn Jones, I didn't make the connection about that Madlib flip! I'm sure I've heard that track before. I'd been holding on to this record and not flipping it myself for a couple months because I thought the original material was so ill and I didn't want to do it what I felt was an injustice by flipping it in a complacent way such as just looping the break. Then, thanks to your database-for-breaks of a mind, I get the knowledge that one of my heroes rolled through and did just that! Beat Konducta always gets a pass though 'cause he's just playing the role of curator.
By T. Jones Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:06 am
TepaphoneMP wrote:Damn Jones, I didn't make the connection about that Madlib flip! I'm sure I've heard that track before. I'd been holding on to this record and not flipping it myself for a couple months because I thought the original material was so ill and I didn't want to do it what I felt was an injustice by flipping it in a complacent way such as just looping the break. Then, thanks to your database-for-breaks of a mind, I get the knowledge that one of my heroes rolled through and did just that! Beat Konducta always gets a pass though 'cause he's just playing the role of curator.

Madlib don't need a pass he is the illest most original crate digger/beat maker ever hands down. anyone who disagrees we can discuss it at your leisure. Then he and dilla linked, mind melded, and both walked away better men. Now after dilla's passing he be channeling dilla through beats (Beat Konducta Vol. 5-6: Dil Cosby).

I'll say Madlib knows something a lot of people on this board could learn from, because you did some crazy off the wall sh*t, used all the hoo has with fancy names, and threw a ton of sounds at the mpc then puked out a beat don't make it anymore or less than a straight loop... to some Simplicity not complacency is key, the good life is the simple life. People talk about Donuts and how good it is, the best beat album ever and yada yada, (i might agree depending on the day). when you break it down it's creative flips of breaks and loops, never really straying far from the original source.

Tepa, sitting on samples till it feels right...I do the same thang, It's a good habit, that's building that mental database homie. Did you pull this sample off your own vinyl if so where the hell did you unearth that record?
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 am
T. Jones wrote:
TepaphoneMP wrote:Damn Jones, I didn't make the connection about that Madlib flip! I'm sure I've heard that track before. I'd been holding on to this record and not flipping it myself for a couple months because I thought the original material was so ill and I didn't want to do it what I felt was an injustice by flipping it in a complacent way such as just looping the break. Then, thanks to your database-for-breaks of a mind, I get the knowledge that one of my heroes rolled through and did just that! Beat Konducta always gets a pass though 'cause he's just playing the role of curator.

Madlib don't need a pass he is the illest most original crate digger/beat maker ever hands down. anyone who disagrees we can discuss it at your leisure. Then he and dilla linked, mind melded, and both walked away better men. Now after dilla's passing he be channeling dilla through beats (Beat Konducta Vol. 5-6: Dil Cosby).

I'll say Madlib knows something a lot of people on this board could learn from, because you did some crazy off the wall sh*t, used all the hoo has with fancy names, and threw a ton of sounds at the mpc then puked out a beat don't make it anymore or less than a straight loop... to some Simplicity not complacency is key, the good life is the simple life. People talk about Donuts and how good it is, the best beat album ever and yada yada, (i might agree depending on the day). when you break it down it's creative flips of breaks and loops, never really straying far from the original source.

Tepa, sitting on samples till it feels right...I do the same thang, It's a good habit, that's building that mental database homie. Did you pull this sample off your own vinyl if so where the hell did you unearth that record?

That was put better than I've heard a lot of Dilla this Dilla that shanizzle, Been into Madlib since the day Lootpack was out, it's just a shame the collab of MF doom Madlib and Dilla never got to occur, what a group that would of been. Tepa raised the bar with these samples.
By CHOPFYT Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:40 pm
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Tepa raised the bar with these samples.

lets not get silly about it obi dilla kenobi...the fact that these samples have been used and enjoyed by everyone here hardly increases the potential of the samples[s] it infact does the opposite and makes things 10 times harder...having said that i actually took part in this and used my mp for the 1st time in months...not entirely happy with the end product but its a lot better than the sh*t i started out with
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 pm
shank carvin wrote:
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Tepa raised the bar with these samples.

lets not get silly about it obi dilla kenobi...the fact that these samples have been used and enjoyed by everyone here hardly increases the potential of the samples[s] it infact does the opposite and makes things 10 times harder...having said that i actually took part in this and used my mp for the 1st time in months...not entirely happy with the end product but its a lot better than the sh*t i started out with

What I mean is the whole pack, not just the 3 songs supplied, but the bass that was supplied, most people will just drop a tune to chop and keep the rules the same, so when I say raised the bar, I ain't being silly, and if things are made harder like I have always said, it raises the bar as it pushes you, knowing madlib and dilla had already flipped it adds to the pressure. Now the Obi Dilla?? don't know how you came to that one I'm actually sick and tired of the whole Dilla thing, I'm pretty sure I aready made that point, I take it you ain't heard my beats, or you think I have my nose up Dilla's ethreal bottom, which means you read me wrong Holmes, easily done on the internet. So ask next time what was meant instead of calling someone silly for their thoughts(reminds of being at school), or saying someone is a clone of someone else. It's fine to have an opinion, but you need to be right!