Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Who's Gonna Win

4%
N/A
N/A
4%
4%
8%
N/A
8%
N/A
12%
4%
N/A
27%
N/A
N/A
12%
N/A
4%
N/A
4%
4%
8%
By Perrin&Tonic Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:27 pm
Nomagrof wrote:ChrisPerrin's beat is great, but there are some outside synths i think. If I'm wrong, sorry for that. Very good stuf anyway :)

On some of the sounds, I used a KEYGROUP program on my MPC.
KEYGROUPS allow you to take a sample and string it along the keyboard, layer it, add effects, etc...and then you can play chords and the like.

So it's kind of like making your own synth out of the chosen sample. But it is not an "outside synth"...pretty sure I said this was OK in the rules.

So that is what you are hearing. It sounds like Jimmie! did something similar, although I am not sure if he used an MPC Keygroup, or another program?

by the way, I like your beat. has a nice lounge feel...makes me want a pint!
By Nomagrof Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:45 pm
chrisperrin wrote:On some of the sounds, I used a KEYGROUP program on my MPC.
KEYGROUPS allow you to take a sample and string it along the keyboard, layer it, add effects, etc...and then you can play chords and the like.

So it's kind of like making your own synth out of the chosen sample. But it is not an "outside synth"...pretty sure I said this was OK in the rules.

So that is what you are hearing. It sounds like Jimmie! did something similar, although I am not sure if he used an MPC Keygroup, or another program?

by the way, I like your beat. has a nice lounge feel...makes me want a pint!

Great job. Very creative! Which MPC do you use?
By jimmie Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:12 pm
Chris Perrin
Brilliant melodies and the sound was good with the delay on the keys, etc.
Reminds me slightly of parts of George Duke's 'North Beach'.... a bit.

Props to everyone :nod:

NOMAGROF's beat came 2nd for me. Bouncy. Great feel.

...and yes, I spread a couple of samples along my keyboard and played them like a synth. After I had a melody I then time-stretched the samples in order to keep them in time with the beat.

Cheers for the votes btw :)
By Nomagrof Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:54 pm
chrisperrin wrote:Looks like you just got an MPC? Which one?

A little 500. It was very cheap. Fits well to my lifestyle, because I travel a lot between university and home and friends and work... different cities. Its not like I'm always making beats on train, the real benefit is the smal space that the mpc needs in my pack. :) Anyway a bought it because of the price, it was a bargain.

Thanks everyone who listen to my beat.
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 am
Right I'm voting Jimmie dude is progressing and this was well done!!
On to other business I am able to see who has listened to my beats as I have paid to have the little blue star, not going to mention names but I don't think , well actually I know outright some are not listening to all the beats. I'm taking a chunk of my time to respect your creativity do the same with others. Thirdly can we have some crazy sample with loads of bits to chop, not another one of these bloody tracks where everything is playing at the same time with no outside bizzle allowed, the last 4 have been like this, which is half the reason why the beats end up kind of the same, love to know what people think is a good sample actually :hmmm:
By Toothflesh Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 am
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Thirdly can we have some crazy sample with loads of bits to chop, not another one of these bloody tracks where everything is playing at the same time with no outside bizzle allowed, the last 4 have been like this, which is half the reason why the beats end up kind of the same, love to know what people think is a good sample actually :hmmm:

I dont think it's about the samples but about the rules.
Why not only drop an acapella and no further rules or drop a sample that only needs to used in a chorus or make a track where the bassline has to be the most dominant part.
Just dropping some thoughts here......
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 am
Toothflesh wrote:
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Thirdly can we have some crazy sample with loads of bits to chop, not another one of these bloody tracks where everything is playing at the same time with no outside bizzle allowed, the last 4 have been like this, which is half the reason why the beats end up kind of the same, love to know what people think is a good sample actually :hmmm:

I dont think it's about the samples but about the rules.
Why not only drop an acapella and no further rules or drop a sample that only needs to used in a chorus or make a track where the bassline has to be the most dominant part.
Just dropping some thoughts here......

It's the rules and the sample, for example, it would of been ridiculous for that last battle to have no outside anything, In my eyes Wicked sample = loads to chop, Wack sample = Nothing but a limited choice. :mrgreen:
By jimmie Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:On to other business I am able to see who has listened to my beats as I have paid to have the little blue star, not going to mention names but I don't think , well actually I know outright some are not listening to all the beats.

Sometimes I listen when I'm logged in to my Decilinear account and also remember that there is an option to turn off your view visibility in the Soundcloud settings, so no one can see that you viewed their stuff! I leave mine turned on but some people will use that.
Also, you don't have to be logged in to listen to music on Soundcloud.

So, quite a few factors..

cheers for the vote btw :smoker: