Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By clvvvddd@ Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:47 pm
About to download the samples and see if I can get something done prior to deadline, either way looking forward to listen to the samples and following flips. The short length is gonna be a tester for me but need the challenge
By TepaphoneMP Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:00 pm
Don Blake wrote:
shank carvin wrote:
TepaphoneMP wrote:Interesting perspective. I dunno if you're aware that posting links in the original thread is how it is done in the SP battles, the UGHH battles, and the Stones Throw battles.

:?

its not a perspective fella thats how it works here on MPC FORUMS, you should know youve submitted before? :roll:

Its definately the best way to do it. else you get people spamming their soundclouds all over the thread(like what is starting to happen).

As someone who's been battling a good bit in the last 6-7 months, this is the view I've formed of group beat battles in general and their flow: One enters the battle because they like making beats and possibly because the idea of being challenged to flip a sample not of their choice piques their interest. Maybe they're also keen on hearing and learning different approaches from other people. There could be many reasons, but people are usually pretty stoked when they've finished their beat. They probably even want other battle participants to hear it, and might also be excited to hear what others have come up with.

Enter the current setup for MPCBB with a holding tank on the group page. I'm not saying it's bad or stupid because I'm aware of the spam problem. There were group beat battles before Soundcloud was the primary avenue for sharing our music, and the way things worked back then on the forums was that participants would post links in the thread so people could hear all the beats. The group page started off as just a convenience - a nice one that I am not suggesting we give up.

So lets take it back to what appears to be the root of the problem - spam on the group page. Could we re-evaluate the option of delegating Soundcloud mods to handle the spam problem? I would volunteer if I'd be able to select someone as a backup for when I'm unavailable.

It seems to me that things would flow a bit smoother around here if we could mainline the beats to peoples ears since that's what it is all about.
By Don Blake Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:09 pm
TepaphoneMP
I understand what your saying but just from my own perspective i like seeing the vote thread pop up and then i can spend a bit of time going through all of them and deciding which ones i like.
i mean im not here for a battle, i just like seeing what other people do with a sample that im working with and how other peoples ideas are the same/different.

On the compettion side of things, if people do put their beat up early and i check it out(for instance) and its really good i might think "**** it i wont bother with it this
time

At the end of the day there have been quite allot of people of varying skills entering at the moment and i think the format of listening to them all together promotes more people to get involved.... i dunno if ive really made what i was trying to say clear.

Anyway it doesnt bother me what format its in, but no matter who posts their beat in this thread i wont listen to the track until i can hear them all together.
By TepaphoneMP Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:25 pm
Don, that's totally clear man, well put. And I think you condensed it nicely in the last sentence; it all comes down to self discipline. I've totally jinxed myself by listening to a really dope flip before starting my own before. Now I don't peep the beats until I at least have a good idea of what mine's will sound like. It was a good lesson to learn on my own :wink:
By pk1 Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 pm
im the same here guys. i dont want to hear them either. i dont get discouraged, i hear the other beats in my head while i try to create my own. then im distracted. and i get sidetracked easily if i hear someone did something uneek with a sample. i want to recreate what they did just to figure out how he did it. then i end up wasting an hour on something im not going to use.. i guesss i learn other technics this way. but point is i like to wait till end and compare.
By CHOPFYT Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:43 pm
:nod:

to all 3 above posts i dont listen either i find it distracting too. i think this is the best set up available especially with the embeds not working very well for me since the SC update
By TepaphoneMP Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:23 pm
I just want to reiterate my position that if one causes themselves trouble by hearing the beats too early, maybe they've got a Dr. Strangelove arm that they're having difficulty with. Global limits are not necessary for local problems. Complaining about not being able to control oneself is not a good look.

edit: What I'm really trying to say here is don't click it if you don't want to hear it yet.
By dantuf Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 pm
All good everyone ... Beats are live !!! check them out

will set the poll running tomorrow sometime for any late comers .... :smoker:
By v00d00ppl Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 pm
I v00d00ppl / straight outta Fremont will be submitting later tonight. Hold tight!
By dantuf Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:03 am
v00d00ppl wrote:I v00d00ppl / straight outta Fremont will be submitting later tonight. Hold tight!

will do man.. no probs :-D
By inflict3 Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 am
i just freestyled mine live on the pads and recorded it, its kinda off cause of that, but i wanna get better at playing shit live on my 500 :smoker: i usually use the sequencer, tryin to move away from using it all time..
By Dom Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:20 am
I missed the deadline by about 20 minutes, so I don't know if it'll go through.

Either way, I'm learning how to use the Octatrack and know very little; these beat-battles are an excellent way to practice the craft.