Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By GoofyGutt Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 pm
Yes, make it your own style and sound(re-Mix), but as the rules says; original samples must also be audible/present.

Welcome to the battlefield!
By GoofyGutt Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 pm
Hmmm... It would be most fair if everybody had the same files available I guess, what do you other guys think?

Perhaps if you send the WAV file to me I could put it in the top post for everyone?
By GoofyGutt Tue May 21, 2013 9:36 pm
andreat668 wrote:sorry, just realized my ex gf take it back to france with her...im gonna use the file you provide, just my internet connection is dam slow.

Ok, all good, maybe she´ll drop a beat in the battle with a high-quality sample ;)

Just download the mp3 version of the sample and convert locally, will be faster.
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Wed May 22, 2013 4:46 pm
Okay, went to start my beat today picked Mobb Deep, but no Acapella, are we re-mixing the whole tune with vocals as I managed to find the vocals, or are we just going for a re-mix of the instrumentals,
I just need to be cheeky but a classic to me is
T.R.O.Y: Pete Rock
Runnin: The Pharcyde
Just to Get A Rep: Gangstarr

No offence but that Dr Dre beat is pure Top 40's pop music. :lol:
By Elmar Jestro Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:T.R.O.Y: Pete Rock
Runnin: The Pharcyde
Just to Get A Rep: Gangstarr

Totally agree with this! But I guess "classic" also depends on your age :wink: It's weird somehow that some raplisteners nowadays weren't even born when I started listening...
Oh my god, I'm old... :WTF:
By Perfect 5th Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 am
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote: that Dr Dre beat is pure Top 40's pop music. :lol:

Yeah, feel the same. Classic is pretty broad but I would consider classic status to be pre-97, but after 88. Pre-88 is beyond classic, and in another category IMO.

Lots of fundamental changes right around 90 that changed the sound and style of things to come. People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm as an example.

Oh, and I am just doing the beat, no vocals. Not looking to re-make the original, but make something with the original samples used I think was the point.
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 am
Let me breakdown why a classic is a classic,

In any area of media books, films, music, certain things will hit a chord within you, it will speak volumes, what this is, is the subject matter of what was made then, is relevant now. It has to come from that conscious part of you, that wants to connect to everyone, to me people like Dre are Hollywood celeb's, they're about the money, record sales, and maintaining that, what changed after the 90's was the way Hiphop has been explained, kids getting into it think this is it, they don't have a clue who Kool Herc is, or anything about the block of flats on Sedgewick Avenue. The Industry has tried to morph the origin's of this whole movement.

Star Wars:
Basic story of good overcoming evil, but also the playout of a dictator ship ruling everything, that is a timeless feeling we all can connect to in some manner, because none of us want that. Focus on a balance being brought in.

Lord Of The Rings (books)
Again same as Star Wars basically, rid evil and bring in balance.

Harry Potter (Books and Films)
Same story again bring in a balance.

John Lennon - Imagine
Bringing in balance

Pharcyde - Runnin
No elves or Jedi's or wizards, but the message is balance

Classic's usually need this character to them, you do get the freak genius moment of an Instant Classic, but given time it usually proves to be some sort of evolution.
It is also something that can change each time you read, listen, or watch.

Check this video out, some decent knowledge in here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CH6af90Ig0
By pk1 Thu May 23, 2013 3:23 pm
I agree with what obi is saying.

P5th has it a little wrong.

The only thing time has to do with a classic is that it last for all time.

To obi though about the cash.... Well we are all after the cash no matter what we say to contradict this. So as sad as it might sound one of these dumb broads on the radio now could make a classic tomorrow. (Highly doughtful because they can't get of the topic of personal persona pride. And monetary stuff.) dre has made classics. Dre day is a huge classic. I can play that at any gathering and everybody knows it.

Classic can be a pop hit or a track most have not herd. I've been hip hop since early 87 my first tapes where "Doug e fresh and the get fresh crew - oh my god, and Run-DMC- Raising hell. Then followed "2 live crew - as nasty as they want to be. I was turning 11 that year. Mom raised me on :mrgreen: " classic rock" I hated the distorted guitar. Still do. So I stayed hip hop only for ever. So according to P5th I would be classic! That's just not the case.

For instance "Edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros" mad a classic in 2009 called "home" that track pulls on me no matter where I hear it.

Bottom line a classic is a banger of any genre that any person can feel. And does feel for lifetimes. That's what this music is. Feelings love and feer. The two base emotions. Explained in differant hind sites. But bottom line is feeling. And if your in it for the pop scene cash thing like obi is saying well your not making real feeling music.

Little long winded this morning...
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Thu May 23, 2013 4:27 pm
I don't want money seriously, I have a job that I love doing which brings in the cash, I did do when I was younger, I really wanted the cash, but things change, you wise up, personal health before material wealth becomes foremost. I lost respect for Dre, when I saw a documentary on Hiphop, where he is in the studio, telling this bloke to pull up samples from his hard drive, put that bass here put that there, N.W.A Dre and the Dre we have now are 2 completely different people, at the same time I feel really sorry for them, as they are caught up in something where they can't get out, and have to make music according to the contract.