Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

pick your winner

9%
9%
9%
73%
By Elmar Jestro Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 pm
only 4 entries??? :hmmm: i didn't feel the sample too much either, but there are definitely hundreds of ways to use it as it's full of clean guitar chops...

didn't expect to get somewhere near the top 3 with my quickie.. but now no.4 is safe :WTF:
By HUNGRYMAN Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Seriously? 4? :Sigh: I sure know how to clear a room. I'm usually a nice fella, but I have to talk some trash for a minute and educate.

Do yall really need everything made easy for you? I mean, it's not hard to turn a soul, jazz, or funk sample into a decent-sounding hip hop song. Those 3 genres are just a small piece of the totality of recorded music and in this day and age they are all-too-well raped and borrowed. This song wasn't one of my all time favorites either, but music you like shouldn't always be what inspires you to make music, and if it is, then most likely you are just aspiring to be what you like, which isn't innovative at all. In the primal beginnings of music, it was always inspired by life and nature, whether it was thumping on a hollow tree log to make percussion sounds or ballad songs about the endeavors of man, inspiration was generally drawn from non-musical situations. The greatest musicians could make grand songs with a very limited arsenal of sound. Today we have the ability, through technology, to create almost any sound we can fathom.

Regardless of the vocals, anyone could have chopped the guitar and turned it into a number of different sounds, transposed keys, time stretched it, put effect to change it to an electric guitar, or even morphed it into something completely different than the original sound. Not to mention, it being an open battle, you could have used as many extra samples/instruments as you liked.

I would have rather seen folks use the sample in the most minimal way, rather than as ODK put it, pussed out on a challenge. Because no one ever accomplished anything by saying, "This isn't my ish."

Cheers to the fab four! No hard feelings at all, I actually got a big laugh at this turn out. But if you bitching about not liking any given sample, then you are really bitching about your inability to work with the sample. And if you found the sample too annoying to work with, then you forgot the whole idea was to turn it into something that you like. Haha! A real hungry man will eat anything!
:popcorn:
By Coz Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:30 pm
^^ Good points. :nod:

Excellent flip too. :smoker:
By HUNGRYMAN Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 am
Elmar Jestro wrote:only 4 entries??? :hmmm: i didn't feel the sample too much either, but there are definitely hundreds of ways to use it as it's full of clean guitar chops...

didn't expect to get somewhere near the top 3 with my quickie.. but now no.4 is safe :WTF:

Haha! Since I've been doing this battle, the biggest turn out I've seen was after the 1st time I won and dropped a sample. Then I tied with Opin on the last one, dropped a sample and it's the smallest turn out. This battle seems to be the wildcard!

Coz wrote:^^ Good points. :nod:

Excellent flip too. :smoker:

Thanks, man! I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I enjoy seeing people push the envelope to new dimensions. You can call me Coach Hungry this round.

Anyways, enough of my babble.
Mr. Bong takes the cake. :smoker:
By Roots Renegade Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:58 am
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Check Da Beat's Here: https://soundcloud.com/groups/mpc-forum ... at-battles

Why are your links to the SoundCloud Beat Battle page always broken ?

Try posting a working link in the future, i'm sure there will be more people voting if the BB page is more easy to reach.

This section of the site needs more organisation and form standards/consistency. It could be a lot better IMHO.

https://soundcloud.com/groups/mpc-forums-com-beat-battles

I voted for HUNGRYMAN.
By HUNGRYMAN Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:41 am
Well, that worked. Not sure why it's cut off on the link ODK posted.
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:38 am
RootsRenegade wrote:
Obi-Dan-Kenobi wrote:Check Da Beat's Here: https://soundcloud.com/groups/mpc-forum ... at-battles

Why are your links to the SoundCloud Beat Battle page always broken ?

Try posting a working link in the future, i'm sure there will be more people voting if the BB page is more easy to reach.

This section of the site needs more organisation and form standards/consistency. It could be a lot better IMHO.

https://soundcloud.com/groups/mpc-forums-com-beat-battles

I voted for HUNGRYMAN.

Link worked when I put it up sometimes they do fail not my fault if soundclound does work on it's on site I did'nt build the web dude , shit happens, find a work around, it's not the votes thats a problem, it's the participants or rather the lack of.

and another thing on the organisation tip, this is voluntary, we do have lives, I do not sit at the laptop baby sitting everyone's needs, and waiting for messages, I do what I can I Mod here and on Stonesthrow, and help out with the new MF Doom remix battles, whilst trying to look after my daughter hanging off of me, and working full time, whilst trying to find time to make my own beats, so why don't you volunteer yourself to tutor to be a mod and sort it all out, put those ideas to good use and do it. This does need shaking up, but your coming in all military Holmes, Why's this not working, you should do this, you should do that, in future you should do this, sound like a supermarket manager man! Little bit of advice, you should try being a bit more polite, and try offering help, maybe try not to take it so seriously, no one is going to get overnight fame, or attention, or a payout doing these battles.

The turn out was purely down to peoples lack of Imagination, sorry if it's harsh but it's the truth, I'm not feeling the sample, is code for " I do not know what to do with this", total Kanye needing Timberland to finish his beat because he couldn't. I'm hoping the next sample is death metal or grindcore. I'll chime in with a vote when I got TIME to.
By dantuf Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 am
Hey everyone,
I'm back for a while and going to take over the mod duties from ODK for a while and give him a well deserved break!

also will be back in the battles as have a bit more spare time to actually make beats

HUNGRYM4N got my vote.. He totally smashed it!!

well done to the other 3 for making the effort!

peace and see you soon

DT :smoker:
By Elmar Jestro Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm
do i even need to vote anymore? :lol:

1. hungry
2. roybong, put much work and creativity in that beat, a bit too detuned in some parts for my taste
3. abcdom, very experimental, but works really well soundwise

now let's start the next battle early with another "difficult" sample...
By pk1 Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm
HUNGRYMAN wrote:Seriously? 4? :Sigh: I sure know how to clear a room. I'm usually a nice fella, but I have to talk some trash for a minute and educate.

Do yall really need everything made easy for you? I mean, it's not hard to turn a soul, jazz, or funk sample into a decent-sounding hip hop song. Those 3 genres are just a small piece of the totality of recorded music and in this day and age they are all-too-well raped and borrowed. This song wasn't one of my all time favorites either, but music you like shouldn't always be what inspires you to make music, and if it is, then most likely you are just aspiring to be what you like, which isn't innovative at all. In the primal beginnings of music, it was always inspired by life and nature, whether it was thumping on a hollow tree log to make percussion sounds or ballad songs about the endeavors of man, inspiration was generally drawn from non-musical situations. The greatest musicians could make grand songs with a very limited arsenal of sound. Today we have the ability, through technology, to create almost any sound we can fathom.

Regardless of the vocals, anyone could have chopped the guitar and turned it into a number of different sounds, transposed keys, time stretched it, put effect to change it to an electric guitar, or even morphed it into something completely different than the original sound. Not to mention, it being an open battle, you could have used as many extra samples/instruments as you liked.

I would have rather seen folks use the sample in the most minimal way, rather than as ODK put it, pussed out on a challenge. Because no one ever accomplished anything by saying, "This isn't my ish."

Cheers to the fab four! No hard feelings at all, I actually got a big laugh at this turn out. But if you bitching about not liking any given sample, then you are really bitching about your inability to work with the sample. And if you found the sample too annoying to work with, then you forgot the whole idea was to turn it into something that you like. Haha! A real hungry man will eat anything!
:popcorn:

tru when starving some will even eat sh.i.t.

It does suck when the turnout isn't great, or what we expected. Perhaps it wasnt the shi.t.ty sample. maybe it was just one of those sessions no one had time for.
i and myself had a discussion a couple months ago. We will not be posting anything whack.
and the flip i did for this and pretty much the last couple sessions have been whack. so no post. besides i felt no reason to b.i.t.ch about sample you would have just reminded me that it wasnt me that didnt like the sample it was the sample, that didnt like me... :wink:

:smoker: :-D difficult samples are dope. just find one with more then two riffs or three notes. and great job on your track. vox samples where perfect. exactly what i was going for a western. but the train was like the candy sprinkles my dude. great serve.
By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:58 pm
Elmar gets my vote....

The turn out was purely down to peoples lack of Imagination
^^^
nah b,in my case it`s laziness or lack of zeal.I actually chopped the sample,but didn`t finish in time. I had no problem with the sample at all.

I have touched my MPC in a few days,just ebb and flow.