Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Well.....You know what to do !!!

26%
21%
N/A
16%
5%
N/A
11%
11%
N/A
N/A
N/A
11%
By Unfolding Machines Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:52 am
Listening to all entries now, typing thoughts as they play out

Mattman: Once the beat got to work I dug the villian vibe to this one, serious mad scientist music. Sick!
Ivoryviking: Nice melodic take on the samples, the way you made the song build sounds pro too. Might be a bit long at 4+ minutes long, even with the cuts.
Logick1: Cool background strings & bass line, liking all the subtle bits you've got going on this tune. Understated!
Mike-A-Veli: Oooh, this sounds big. More great bad guy vibes. Great tune!
Phuturism: Ha! Are you on an old school Ninja Tune tip? The jazzy notes & voice are pure 90s! Dope hihat rhythm & 80s SH-101 bassline too. It's not often that a long battlebeat will hold my attention, well done!
Saadyah tz▾i: Whoah, dope chops... That hidden high hat roll is intense, the bassline is perfect too. Good variety & kick-snare patterns too. That ending? Damn! See where you were going with the a capella, pity it didn't sit in time right. An instro of this would be killer.
Shank Carvin: Damn that's one tough set of drums you picked. Rhythm's killer. All that background action made my eyes glaze over too. No need for melody in something as bad arse as this. Another great tune!
abcDom: Curious piece, sorry mate but this one's a bit looser than what my ears can handle. Nice to hear someone else push the solo angle with the guitar part. Did you play that in yourself or sample it?
Chaotic: Upfront mix, heavy live sounding drums (sound like they oughta be playing some metal!). Like how you went for all those triplet parts on the piano sample, a great offset to the other parts of the song.
Roybong: A little scatterbrained sounding this time. Might've got me nodding if this one settled on one angle rather than chopping between loads of angles. Your synth tones were mad though, at least it came together at the track's end.
ODK: Massive tune! Nice way to end the battle. Would've been hard for anyone else to follow this. So messy but so consistent, getting me jealous dude!

Tossed up between Phuturism & Shank for 1st place... Gave it to Shank for that drum pattern & bad trip attitude.

Props to abcDom for having a crack at the secret sauce 8 bars. Interesting to hear how loads of us went for the same Wendy Carlos arpeggio then used it totally different. Good battle!
By ThobRom Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:24 am
All cool stuff.

Personally I'm feeling closer to RoyBongs and Saadyah's because that my kind of golden age sound.
:)
I would have left all the accapella out but thats just me.

Really liking Phuturism's also.
Sounds like Mid-late 80's SOS band or Cameo or something.
Which is the same as saying "Awesome Tunage"!

Also really liked IvoryViking's.
Take the scratching out and it sounds kind of like Jon Brion or earlier Fiona Apple.
Which is the same as saying "Snazzy Stuff"!

Good luck Fellas.
By CHOPFYT Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 pm
Thanks for the vote machines and the run through nice one :mrgreen:
By Coz Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 pm
I had to give it to Phuturism. Nice intelligent arrangement and Electro feel. :smoker:
By dantuf Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:28 am
S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD wrote:Ayo,whatever happened to ERRATTIC???

He used to kill ish back in the days

Yeah! he is ill on the beats!!!

I got him involved previously but think he's doing some other stuff now, shame as he had a real nice sound!!
By Obi-Dan-Kenobi Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:20 pm
dantuf wrote:
S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD wrote:Ayo,whatever happened to ERRATTIC???

He used to kill ish back in the days

Yeah! he is ill on the beats!!!

I got him involved previously but think he's doing some other stuff now, shame as he had a real nice sound!!

He hasn't uploaded anything in months, hope he gets back on it.
By Elmar Jestro Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 pm
Some very good flips this round. Lots of creativity.

For me it was between Ivory Viking and mike-a-veli...

Went with Ivory cause I can listen to that beat in very different moods and it always gives me something I can feel/relate to...

I'm going to take a longer break from the whole music thing. Lost a whole lot of motivation (and creativity with it) over the past few month... Hope to see y'all when I come back
By CHOPFYT Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 pm
Awww thats a shame dude i check you on soundcloud whenever im moochin around on there...dont let it rot :mrgreen:
By inflict3 Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:51 pm
I went with obi on this one, that beat was hot as ****!!
By Dom Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:18 am
Unfolding Machines wrote:abcDom: Curious piece, sorry mate but this one's a bit looser than what my ears can handle. Nice to hear someone else push the solo angle with the guitar part. Did you play that in yourself or sample it?

I do play the guitar.

I think I understand, but can you elaborate? I want to make "beats" that everyone can handle(!), ha, and still be interesting. I'm fairly new to making beats, been in a couple battles this year on MPC-forums battles, so far. I'm using it as a practice tool and each as a lesson to learn from. I hope I'm improving! The whole beat (although there wasn't a lot of drums/percussion in it, hehe) was a great learning experience for me.

I'm always wanting to learn and if anyone else, has some feedback that will push me in a different direction, to approach the beat-making process or manipulating samples in a new way, let me know!

I'll be baaaack for the next battle! (I think)

PS I put my vote towards saadyah tz▾i because I like the jazz sound!
By Unfolding Machines Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 am
Dom wrote:can you elaborate? I want to make "beats" that everyone can handle(!), ha, and still be interesting. I'm fairly new to making beats, been in a couple battles this year on MPC-forums battles, so far. I'm using it as a practice tool and each as a lesson to learn from. I hope I'm improving! The whole beat (although there wasn't a lot of drums/percussion in it, hehe) was a great learning experience for me.

I'm always wanting to learn and if anyone else, has some feedback that will push me in a different direction, to approach the beat-making process or manipulating samples in a new way, let me know!

I'll be baaaack for the next battle! (I think)

PS I put my vote towards saadyah tz▾i because I like the jazz sound!
No problems mate! Cool that you're using these battles to learn- so am I, only difference is I've been making beats for almost a decade now, not that it shows, heh. After about 4 more listens:
- your drums for the most part are alright... They just sound a little too artificial & upfront (like they're unrelated hits out of a stock drum set). Maybe a low pass filter over all the drums taking off the highs could take the edge off. Or put a little drum-room reverb across all your drums & mix them a little quieter so the drums aren't so 'dry'.
- Next time try playing out your drums with a more solid & consistent rhythm (ie- put a little more emphasis on the 1st count of each bar) & make the toms quieter. Also make sure your fills & rolls match the rhythm of the main drum loop otherwise they'll confuse the listener.
- The pitched synth chops never really played a melody or lined up to your guitar. Which is a pity because you're clearly an able guitarist.
- The voice samples don't really work, they don't relate to each other & got a little annoying by the song's end.

^But all that's opinion, what one person likes the other might not (see how Ivory liked the voice samples). Honestly I'm the last person who should give advice for a beat battle, see how many votes I've received? :mrgreen:. Hope that made sense & doesn't put you off next round (one wanker on the internet shouldn't stop you from doing anything), likewise if anyone else has a few words of advise for me that'd be appreciated!