Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By pk1 Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:41 pm
Nice work fellas.
Last week is a prime example of why we have the donut vote for self rule. :wink:

But no worries we are all good men round here. And honesty is one our many virtues. As well as banging pads for Soul relief!

BASS WEEK

I dug up a couple bits i think y'all will dig:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k75u43kf8r7u9r9/AACRapJzOCNw5GvqkEP314F0a?dl=0

Rules:
Must use at least One piece from at least 2 of the provided...
You can use outside instruments.
Everyone must create a bass line. No looping bass line from sample. of course use the sample for bass if you want but you must create your own bass line.
Deck work is welcome
vocal drops are cool
no acepillas
Upload your track to Soundcloud or You tube
Post your beat within this thread.
Beat needs to have battle number in title
Beat needs to be uploaded by Tuesday the 20TH

Good luck, have fun, and bring some Rumble
By pk1 Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 pm
indeed it is.

Id like for y'all to explain what you used for the bass and how you played it out... (plucked, keys, or pads)
this will give others ideas of how to do it differently.

on a side note i received a cpl pre orders i had out for awhile.

A cpl classics with the rjd2, Blacks Tronik and The banger Ugly Heroes.
The new Kev brown and Masta ace Marco polo are my pre's

this Marco polo is FIRE go cope this

By saltmcgault Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm
pk1 wrote:indeed it is.

Id like for y'all to explain what you used for the bass and how you played it out... (plucked, keys, or pads)
this will give others ideas of how to do it differently.

on a side note i received a cpl pre orders i had out for awhile.

A cpl classics with the rjd2, Blacks Tronik and The banger Ugly Heroes.
The new Kev brown and Masta ace Marco polo are my pre's

this Marco polo is FIRE go cope this

IT IS.. IVE BEEN PLAYING IT ALL WEEK. "MAN LAW" IS PROBABLY 1 OF MY FAVS. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF UGLY HEROS. THAT LOOKS LIKE APOLLO BROWNS GRILL IN THE MIDDLE IM GONNA CHECK THAT OUT.
By saltmcgault Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:17 am
That "yesterday's rain" joint is nice! :smoker:
By MPCWeapon1 Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:18 pm
Might do another mix on this beat if I have time this weekend. Kinda rushed it...but its cool.

By pk1 Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:28 pm
nice drums Weapon! What did you use for your bass? and how did you play it?
By MPCWeapon1 Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:45 pm
pk1 wrote:nice drums Weapon! What did you use for your bass? and how did you play it?

It’s a stock 808 bass from the MPC software.

To play it I used an old MPC note repeat technique I developed a long time ago before I knew how to play keys, and used the faithful bass pentatonic scale to write it.
By pk1 Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:23 pm

interesting.. so just holding note repeat on random pads given in the chord mode? Do you just free style this a cpl times till you like how it progresses down the beat?
Have you installed the new 2.3 update. sounds like the built in arpeggio would take exactly what your doing up a step. might sound to crazy as well.

nice. thx for sharing. Ive never heard of that route.
By MPCWeapon1 Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:28 am
pk1 wrote:
interesting.. so just holding note repeat on random pads given in the chord mode? Do you just free style this a cpl times till you like how it progresses down the beat?
Have you installed the new 2.3 update. sounds like the built in arpeggio would take exactly what your doing up a step. might sound to crazy as well.

nice. thx for sharing. Ive never heard of that route.

Yeah on the Live I use scale mode. Sometime I freestyle until I find a rhythm I like.

I did use an arp from the new 2.3 synth. I made it subtle I didn’t want it to stand out. I wanted the sampled melody to drive the beat.
By Sodamnfresh Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:46 pm
Whipped this up today on the MPC1000.... I have to admit, bass lines arent really my forté and I tend to keep it simple tbh (if im playing it in myself). I got a good bass groove from chopping a section of the Rainbow demon song, but i couldnt get the low end sounding good, so I just got a bass note (from some drum pack) and tuned it and played it in on the pads... I hope you enjoy. :mrgreen:

By Horbid Grotter Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:03 am
Spent the night playing with these samples. Something came out in the end, I think?..
I've rearranged the baseline of a sample from Yesterday's Rain by chopping and shuffling around, then enhanced the bass notes by adding my 'formed' bass which I took from the Sakura sample (used a low flute tone and just kept lowering it, then enhanced the low ends to distort and amplify into a bass sound) I threw it around different parts of the track for variation. the final mix might be a bit.. :? I suggest listening to this through headphones for better effect.
I have no idea what the hell I just made man?!

Last edited by Horbid Grotter on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By pk1 Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:18 pm
Thanks for Letting us know how you guys are creating your bass.
Bass still being one of the more difficult tracks to create for myself.
Sharing these ways are going to spark ideas when others try these for themselves. I Have always dug how different many of us go about using the MPC's.
sounding good

:worthy:
By dez perado Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 pm
I MIDIed up reason's subtractor for my bass nothing special, slight tweaks,sidechained compressed to my kick .