Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 am
Congrats to Sodamnfresh on his win for the last round he he has put together this Redman challenge for you all:

"On November 22nd 1994 one of my favourite MCs dropped a classic album... Redman - Dare Iz A Darkside. So in honour of that, my fav tune off the album is the track 'Cant Wait' co produced by Eric Sermon and Redman himself. I've provided all the sample bits they used. A snippet off a a Bob James track, a snippet and drums from the Mary Jane Girls and a vocal snippet of Big Daddy Kane. I also threw in the Redman Acapella to use"

Samples

https://www.dropbox.com/s/keolpj2pqgwez ... 1.zip?dl=0

Rules

Must use all and only the samples provided but you may include ONE other sound/sample.
(If you use one other sound or sample then please document where, what and have you used it)
Only use the Redman acapella (obvs also the BDK sample). Can use the whole thing or just a piece or scratch it up etc...

As per normal your entry must have battle number 221 in track title and please use soundcloud or youtube to post your track here in this thread. Battle deadline is midnight Tuesday The 27th of November

Good luck :smoker:
By pk1 Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:15 am
those are by far the worst set of samples i have ever seen submitted in 8 years... :lol:

The Record they made from it is a classic banger but damn... wish you would have submitted the whole BJ record.
so we could have pulled other then what he pulled..
By Horbid Grotter Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:29 am
Congrats on the win! Interesting rules, always nice to face different types of challenges. :smoker:

Just to be clear, are we meant to make a remix of the Redman track so that its a recognisable remix, or can we just manipulate the samples beyond recognition and just use a few Redman vocal chops to make something completely different sounding from the original?
By Sodamnfresh Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:17 am
Haha I know it’s limited, but I thought there are nice drums and the sample, short it may be, has some flute and bass in it to chop and manipulate... I said one more sound can be added bcos I know it’s limiting... You can use the acapella however you see fit. Same with the samples...

The reason I did this is (not only the date seemed fitting as it’s the time the album came out), but also bcos a few years back me and a few pals did a fun project where we ‘re-imagined’ some classic tracks from 1994. We were bound to the original sample snippets of the original tracks to try to create something different with it and was intrigued to see what yall could come with. I did this track (and a couple others)... listen here if you like-

https://soundcloud.com/sodamnfresh/reimaginin94

I said on my message to schizo that I wasn’t entering this week cos of work...

Saying this, if people are mad and want to use the whole Bob J song to use then by all means go for it... I’m really not that fussed. As you’ve prob guessed I’m a newbie to all this beat battle malarkey
By Sodamnfresh Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:33 am
Horbid Grotter wrote:Congrats on the win! Interesting rules, always nice to face different types of challenges. :smoker:

Just to be clear, are we meant to make a remix of the Redman track so that its a recognisable remix, or can we just manipulate the samples beyond recognition and just use a few Redman vocal chops to make something completely different sounding from the original?

Yeah man, manipulate, twist, compress, filter, chop and screw the **** out them jawns foo :smoker:
By Sodamnfresh Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:37 am
pk1 wrote:those are by far the worst set of samples i have ever seen submitted in 8 years... :lol:

The Record they made from it is a classic banger but damn... wish you would have submitted the whole BJ record.
so we could have pulled other then what he pulled..

The worst?? Seriously?... I kinda feel proud of that achievement haha but personally anything to do with Bob James can’t be in the ‘worst’ of anything in my book. 1 3 sec loop of bob is worth a thousand hours of billy ocean :lol:
By Horbid Grotter Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:39 am
Sodamnfresh wrote:
Horbid Grotter wrote:Congrats on the win! Interesting rules, always nice to face different types of challenges. :smoker:

Yeah man, manipulate, twist, compress, filter, chop and screw the **** out them jawns foo :smoker:

Hey that's cool, I'll give this a go and see what comes out lol.

I started a project a few years back which is similar to what you did with your friends. I recreated some Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief and some other classic tracks but was never happy with the outcome of mine cos I felt the original was too good to match in the end. Still fun though! I got the idea from an old Outkast Remix Mixtape which came out years ago, I think it was by some random name like DJ Locksmith or something???? He used lots of classic hip hop loops and recreated the beats, then threw Outkast acapellas over them. I wish I could remember the name of it now..
J Rawls also did a similar project. It's a good way to give a nod to classics and show them some appreciation.

I'll check out your remixes on Soundcloud man :smoker:
By Oskarr Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:17 pm
I'm liking the original rules and I have something cooking up right now. My outside sample will probably be either a different drum loop or scratches from a different Redman record.
By Sodamnfresh Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:20 pm
K-Mo' wrote:Cool round. Cool samples. Everything is cool. :smoker:

I used all the samples and sampled sinewave out of Jp-08 for the sub bass

YO! That’s a dope beat to set the bar man, sincerely loving it... it’s sparse and simple but thumps something proper (plus creates a whole diff mood from the original)... but the acapella is too quick and goes off beat!?
By Sodamnfresh Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Yeah man, manipulate, twist, compress, filter, chop and screw the **** out them jawns foo :smoker:[/quote]

Hey that's cool, I'll give this a go and see what comes out lol.

I started a project a few years back which is similar to what you did with your friends. I recreated some Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief and some other classic tracks but was never happy with the outcome of mine cos I felt the original was too good to match in the end. Still fun though! I got the idea from an old Outkast Remix Mixtape which came out years ago, I think it was by some random name like DJ Locksmith or something???? He used lots of classic hip hop loops and recreated the beats, then threw Outkast acapellas over them. I wish I could remember the name of it now..
J Rawls also did a similar project. It's a good way to give a nod to classics and show them some appreciation.

I'll check out your remixes on Soundcloud man :smoker:[/quote]

Cool man, yes it is daunting taking on those classic tracks and re-jigging them... our goal was never to ‘out do’ the originals but more to understand them better and have fun, like you said... let me know if you remember that mixtape! Sounds dope
By Sodamnfresh Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:29 pm
I fudged that post up ^^ this forum isn’t very user friendly is it...? Or am I just a dumbass? Hehe
By K-Mo' Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:58 pm
Sodamnfresh wrote:
K-Mo' wrote:Cool round. Cool samples. Everything is cool. :smoker:

I used all the samples and sampled sinewave out of Jp-08 for the sub bass

YO! That’s a dope beat to set the bar man, sincerely loving it... it’s sparse and simple but thumps something proper (plus creates a whole diff mood from the original)... but the acapella is too quick and goes off beat!?

Oh shit. It was okay first. I don't know what happened? I have to take it out. Thanks man!