Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Best Flip?

5%
5%
N/A
N/A
30%
10%
25%
5%
20%
N/A
N/A
By Levulz2it Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:02 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Levulz2it wrote:Right?! What instrument is that in the beginning? A flute? Its hard to tell really :hmmm:

Danoc wrote:That is some type of synth which probably have some type of flute in it, from way back in the day. But it could be someone playing a real flute. It's dope though.

It's a Ewi.

First..how did you know that?! Hahaha second https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u1GS4R_EfI it very well could be, but that song was made in the late 70s wouldn't it of been one of those vocoder synths like Zapp used?
By Lampdog Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:41 pm
Congrats on the win CharlesRandolph.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:51 pm
Levulz2it wrote:First..how did you know that?! Hahaha second https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u1GS4R_EfI it very well could be, but that song was made in the late 70s wouldn't it of been one of those vocoder synths like Zapp used?

Have to train the ears. :lol: Also Zapp used a talk box, which is different. If you keep listening, you'll hear EWI in lots of old videos games as well.

NearTao wrote:Years ago when I was on a "Midi everything, it is awesome" I seriously considered buying an Ewi... looking back now I am glad I didn't... I really don't need to learn to play more instruments :D

EWI5000 is dope and you can never learn too many instruments. Find a sample, create a keygroup, and midi it up. You can do percussion as well. :nod:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:10 pm
Lampdog wrote:Congrats on the win CharlesRandolph.

It was a good turn out and I like to see that. I sent the next sample for 280, just waiting for them to post it.
By pk1 Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:10 am
Danoc wrote:Again: Crickets :lol:

your insecurities and meekness won't be tolorated over in these parts. I don't put up with week minded cats like you. So i suggest you act your age. Talk with respect. and keep your immature statements to your self. you should be embarrassed. You are voted the Lame of the forum. and you just bounce around difference sections running your stink hole. Other mods tolerate you, I won't. I don't close threads cause you won't stop running your mouth. Ill just ban you n Ctrl alt dlt your existence. So get your act right quick.

CharlesRandolph wrote:
You know what this means right? PK1 better be in the next one. :lol:

Glad you saw that i dug the beat and wasn't just dissing. I just don't dig the accs in beat battles. I dig a good remix, but thats a remix. not a battle track.
{this part isn't directed to you} In my opinion instead of typing about your this and thats you just submit what you represent threw the beats. If your dope we will hear it. If its corny we will hear it as well. All the gossip, bling or parts talk already has its sections threw out this forum. Here in the battle threads we should act like men. swords in hands. Giving head nods to whom deserve and vocal drop disses, scratch disses. To those that deserve em. congrats on the win.
By pk1 Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:43 pm

Man your such an insecure child. Thanks for beinging on “The Nothing” good bye.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:47 pm
pk1 wrote:Glad you saw that i dug the beat and wasn't just dissing. I just don't dig the accs in beat battles. I dig a good remix, but thats a remix. not a battle track.
{this part isn't directed to you} In my opinion instead of typing about your this and thats you just submit what you represent threw the beats. If your dope we will hear it. If its corny we will hear it as well. All the gossip, bling or parts talk already has its sections threw out this forum. Here in the battle threads we should act like men. swords in hands. Giving head nods to whom deserve and vocal drop disses, scratch disses. To those that deserve em. congrats on the win.

These battles are good for practicing certain things, that's how I use them. I also find beats without solo leads instrument to be incomplete. Be it Vocal, guitars, Turntables, Keys, etc. I judge a music composer by their ability to hear.

In these battles, it's difficult to understand, how and why people vote. For myself I look at: Emotion, Rhythms, Musicianship, Changes, Mood, Mix, Sonic Quality, Arrangement, the story the music tells, and how they utilized the sample. Did they truly turn it into a new composition? Meaning, when I hear it, do I no longer hear the original.

Simply judging based on what, I like and don't like. Will leave no room to understand, why the composer made certain choices. We're composer what we listen for in music is different, then a person whose simply a listener. It's about the subtle nuisances, not just the big booms.
By pk1 Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:10 pm

i don't bother to look into it that deep anymore. unless i hear something that is really good. In here most are beginners and use this for practice. I of course did this same thing in this thread over ten years ago. I watched many guys excel in this very thread. Allot of good talent has come threw here. I have seen them come in barely making hiphop beats. finding their style and moving on. as for my votes. im listing for the battle beat. the person who took the sample freaked it the best {to my ear} and brought the best out of the group. Id like to hear Battle beats. i have always pushed the guys to make aggressive battle beats. instead of just squeezing what you can out of a sample you wouldn't normally use. your gonna do you and what you like with your ear. I don't care to to know why you did what you did with sample. but if its dope i may inquire how.
but i understand what your saying
By NearTao Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:15 pm
+1 Charles... I personally don't care about the votes, and am more interested in the process to get there. We are all judging based on our own notions of what is good or bad... so I don't mind the inconsistency here.

I absolutely don't mind rules that state do x or do not do y, since the intent should be to help push entrants into an uncomfortable zone as well. If there is no rule to do something, I'd say it is fair game to go do it.

On the other hand, I didn't cut my teeth in this part of the sub forum, and I understand if my interests don't match up with the regulars. So no diss from me pk1, I appreciate what you and others have done over here for some time. For me, I'm just happy to see more folks bouncing over here, because it felt dead as heck for quite a while.
By pk1 Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Well said. No offense taken. Like I said we all are gonna do us. And yes the rules should be targeted at challenging the creator to get out of their comfort zone. So is the sample. Most sample submitted suck. And would not be what most of us would choose to freak. But it pushes us to do something we normally wouldn’t. And that’s a great self challenge. I have not been around for that very reason you mentioned. Super big props to big psych though. He really kept it going when most towels where thrown in. I’m very glad I chose him to help with the battles. He is a good dude. Keeps a level head. And handles business. All while growing his new family.
I haven’t turned on my mpc in too long. Salt got me fired back up a few weeks ago. But I don’t think I’ve slapped a beat together in a year. Or close too. I’d def like to take on Charles challenge. And get down this week. Glad to see it’s back on a weekly schedule too.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:50 pm
NearTao wrote:+1 Charles... I personally don't care about the votes, and am more interested in the process to get there. We are all judging based on our own notions of what is good or bad... so I don't mind the inconsistency here.

I absolutely don't mind rules that state do x or do not do y, since the intent should be to help push entrants into an uncomfortable zone as well. If there is no rule to do something, I'd say it is fair game to go do it.

On the other hand, I didn't cut my teeth in this part of the sub forum, and I understand if my interests don't match up with the regulars. So no diss from me pk1, I appreciate what you and others have done over here for some time. For me, I'm just happy to see more folks bouncing over here, because it felt dead as heck for quite a while.

It's all about the process, improving ones ear, and finding new techniques that work with your productions. If this gives a person (a reason) to use their machine, then it's a good thing. Plus, I don't buy gear to talk about measurements, specs, and bugs.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:24 pm
Danoc wrote::worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

This morn I took your sample and cut those drums up, now I just gotta cut the 6 notes down and Ima get to work! You put my skills to work man :lol: When I leave the stoo, take a shower and get to it, I am in another battle and I gotta finish that also. I'm not going to eat until I am finished!

If people know how to sound design, the melody has every element needed. The drums alone, puts people 95% there. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: