Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 pm
Congrats to CharlesRandolph on winning the last round, it's battle time

Samples
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jl52umaxc68a ... th8Oa?dl=0

Rules
1. The composition must be: 1 min 30 secs in length. Which means when you upload the track to Youtube or Soundcloud the run time must read 1 min 30 secs. No more! No less!

2. Sounds can only come from supplied files. No outside sources I.E
Acapellas, Sound Water Marker, etc. (Keep it 100% Pure)

As per normal your entry must have battle number 280 in track title and please use soundcloud or youtube to post your track here in this thread. The Battle deadline is midnight Tuesday The 9th of June.

Stay safe guys
By dozybeats Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:37 pm
Super quick microwave beat this week. Short samples and I'm not that creative lol. Enjoy.

By pk1 Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:13 pm

pretty nice samples. drums are bangin.
By NearTao Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:16 pm
Levulz2it wrote:

hopefully this is better than last week! lol :popcorn:

The intro and outro felt a bit weak to me, but the rest felt way more cohesive. Really well done. The only thing that might help pull it together a bit more with the drums for me was that the hits all sound the same, and it is really noticable when you rapid fire them off at the same velocity. Might be worth varying the velocity some, or doing some subtle filter sweep or pitch changes, or similar.

My personal rule (and of course rules are meant to be broken) is to not play the exact same sample two (or often worse more) times in a row. By varying the samples volume, pitch, filter cutoff, etc... it makes it harder for your ear to pick it out as a repetitive sound.

Still, really fun submission and hope you keep at it!
By Levulz2it Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:52 am
NearTao wrote:
The intro and outro felt a bit weak to me, but the rest felt way more cohesive. Really well done. The only thing that might help pull it together a bit more with the drums for me was that the hits all sound the same, and it is really noticable when you rapid fire them off at the same velocity. Might be worth varying the velocity some, or doing some subtle filter sweep or pitch changes, or similar.

My personal rule (and of course rules are meant to be broken) is to not play the exact same sample two (or often worse more) times in a row. By varying the samples volume, pitch, filter cutoff, etc... it makes it harder for your ear to pick it out as a repetitive sound.

Still, really fun submission and hope you keep at it!

yeah i didnt know what to do with the intro and outro, i was lacking for sure. as far as the drums i got a mpc1k with the individual style pads and they work good on full level but theyre pretty worn as far as picking up velocity. i need to get a pad upgrade kit, i ordered all new tact switches because a few of them like mode and down arrow have to be pushed at a certain angle in order to work as well.

can a filter sweep be done on the 1k? i dont know much about that lol but will definitely look into it! As far as playing the same sample twice, i never did outside of the drums. all the melodic stuff was a different chop everytime. anyway thanks for criticism! and im definitely going to keep at it!
By NearTao Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 pm
The Q-Links can definitely be used to record automation of various kinds. I've been running JJOS OS3 on my 1k, and it has many many parameters you can modulate.
By Levulz2it Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:18 pm
NearTao wrote:The Q-Links can definitely be used to record automation of various kinds. I've been running JJOS OS3 on my 1k, and it has many many parameters you can modulate.

Do you have the paid or free version? I'm running the free version rn..thinking about getting the paid version but $123 isn't exactly peanuts lol
By Levulz2it Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:06 pm
NearTao wrote:I have the paid version, to me it was worth the money for the added features and benefits.

Heard..im gonna have to cop that then..one feature I like is the play and chop (I think thats what its called)
By DawgFather Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:47 pm
I bent the rules, used a very short waveform from the samples to use in a keygroup to create synth sounds, also added delay. Pretty much aped the entire drum sample because it was better than anything I can boom bap.
By MPCWeapon1 Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:16 am
I'm just chilling tonight, but maybe I'll work on my beat tomorrow. Forget a polished sound. I'm about to make a super grimy beat out of this happy go lucky sample.